XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-27-2017, 05:14 PM   #1
derSpeed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i M sport

Squeaky Door Seals, Airbag and Run Flat Tires

I haven't been here in a while, so I wanted to provide some updates. If these issues have been beat to death, I apologize in advance for brining them up again.

Squeaky Door Seals:
A few months ago I took my car to the dealership to have the ridiculous squeaky door issue addressed. This issue had baffled me for months. Nothing I tired worked, but the noise went away whenever it rained. At the dealership, the tech applied BMW Teflon lubricant (it even has a part number) to the seals and mole skin around the door frames and windows and the squeaks were gone. I guess the rain acted as a lubricant when it got on the mole skin. Anyway, the service writer stated I could have the seals replaced if the squeaking returned. Four days later, the squeaking returned. Even though they returned, I was happy to discover their origin. On November 10th, the seals around all four doors were replaced. Problem solved. The car is much more pleasant to drive since the repairs were made. Hopefully they stay quiet. I almost sold the car because of the squeaking.

Airbag:
Per the recall, my airbag was replaced on November 10th.

Run Flats Tires:
After running OEM 17" wheels with Goodyear run flats for most of the summer, I got around to getting new tires for my style 225 wheels in August. I went with Continental DWS 06s (they are non run flat). The ride quality with 19" non run flat tires is a huge improvement over the 17" run flats. Last week, I purchased winter tires for the 17" wheels. Those will be installed this week. I can't wait to see how those ride.

Thanks!

Last edited by derSpeed; 11-27-2017 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #2
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Mine squeaked after about 3 months of ownership. Once I figured out where the noise (on my car)was coming from I lowered the glass after washing the car and thoroughly cleaned the glass that slides into the rubber channel weatherstripping. Once the glass was clean I sprayed a Qtip with silicone lube and ran that inside the channel. No more squeaks.
I do that every time I detail it and have had good luck so far.

Run flats suck. I’ll take less boot space and a spare any day. I’ll never buy another car without a spare on board.

My air bag gets replaced in 10 days...finally.

We’re your door to door frame seals the issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 04:17 PM   #3
derSpeed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i M sport

HBWT, I tired everything, including the window solution you tried. Have you ever had to do that to any other brand of car you have owned? I haven't, and I have owned every German and Swedish brand available in the US. As I stated in my first post, the Teflon lube worked for a few days on the door seals. When they were replaced, the noise all but stopped. I still hear a few slight squeaks, but I have not determined the source. Still seems to be coming from the seals. I considered applying Plasti-dip to the mole skin, or applying chip guard decals from X-pel to the door jambs. I think that would have reduced the resonance.

When I first got the car, I lubed every piece of plastic and rubber in the doors, including the insides of the weather strip (accessed through the little holes). Those areas are still pretty quiet.

I really like my X1, but I will probably avoid BMWs in the future. The issue is just unacceptable. It really turned me off.

Last edited by derSpeed; 12-04-2017 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0