XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
Pepe79
Red Devil
Rep
Drives: X1 20d xDrive

X1 18d xDrive vs 20d xDrive (automatic)

Dear Friends, I'm hesitating between these 2 cars. Could you write down your experience / comparison? What would be the advantage of the extra 35HPs according to your opinion. Thanks a lot. Pepe
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
Dear Friends, I'm hesitating between these 2 cars. Could you write down your experience / comparison? What would be the advantage of the extra 35HPs according to your opinion. Thanks a lot. Pepe
Hi Pepe79,

I have driven both and opted for the 2.0d because of the XDrive. Around town there is very little to choose between them but hit the open road and the 2.0d pulls stronger, has better acceleration. I found this quite noticeable when kicking down the autobox for overtaking.

Also drove the 2.3d and thats really fun but pricey. Funny thing was I felt that the auto box better suited the 2.0d engine. The gearing on the 2.3d felt wrong. Just my opinion mind.

In short, if you can afford the extra go with the 2.0d.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 03:31 AM   #3
Pepe79
Red Devil
Rep

Thanks for your comment Mario486. There is no big price difference between the 18d and the 20d (comparing to the price of the whole car with some extras). I'll think about it. According to the "paper" comsumption-wise the 2 car is the same. How much does your "eat"? Is it around 6,2 (avg) as the catalogue says or is it just a fairy tale. (I know it depends on the driving style).

Do you have the paddles on the steering wheel? This is only option with 20d. And sounds interesting, but not sure if I'd use it that much. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 04:46 AM   #4
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your comment Mario486. There is no big price difference between the 18d and the 20d (comparing to the price of the whole car with some extras). I'll think about it. According to the "paper" comsumption-wise the 2 car is the same. How much does your "eat"? Is it around 6,2 (avg) as the catalogue says or is it just a fairy tale. (I know it depends on the driving style).

Do you have the paddles on the steering wheel? This is only option with 20d. And sounds interesting, but not sure if I'd use it that much. Thanks again.
Hi, My X1's consumption is coming down slowly the more miles I do. Open road its now at about 46mpg (6.1 l/100km) and around town 33mpg (8.4 l/100km). I think the official figure is best case scenario with careful driving. It certainly is the lowest of any car I have owned. To give you an idea its lighter than my new Mini Cooper.

Don't have the paddles as I forgot to ask for them. Wanted them just for the novelty factor but don't regret not taking them. I find I keep the box in Drive most of the time. Its only when I have an open bendy road in the highlands that I put it into Sport (Triptronic) mode. You know that you can do that without the paddles? You then change up and down through the gear stick.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
Pepe79
Red Devil
Rep

Thanks again. I've ordered the 20d xdrive with the paddles (red). I have to wait until mid February next year!!! I'll share my experience as soon as I can.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
aris
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive 23d

Garage List
if you want to over take the others in open road fast and safe whith a big +35 horses is important!!!

i would not say no if my 23d had +35 horses :char acter0109:........

about the consuption it depends how heavy is your foot

and about the paddles i like them only in roads whith many bends they help you whith the handling....
so you got the right choice!!! congrats !!!!!

Last edited by aris; 11-28-2010 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Thanks again. I've ordered the 20d xdrive with the paddles (red). I have to wait until mid February next year!!! I'll share my experience as soon as I can.

Hey Congratulations You are going to love this car

What other bits did you add?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
Pepe79
Red Devil
Rep

Thanks Aris we will see in mid Feb
you must have a sunroof, it is essential in Greece I've ordered it with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aris View Post
if you want to over take the others in open road fast and safe whith a big +35 horses is important!!!

i would not say no if my 23d had +35 horses :char acter0109:........

about the consuption it depends how heavy is your foot

and about the paddles i like them only in roads whith many bends they help you whith the handling....
so you got the right choice!!! congrats !!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
Pepe79
Red Devil
Rep

Thanks Mario!

Sunroof, PDC front and rear, Alu roof rails, x-line, sports leather steering wheel with paddles, sun protection glazing, USB, performance control, hands free, winter tyres, red-black interior, sear heating front, storage compartment package the major ones.

NO navi or automatic airco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Hey Congratulations You are going to love this car

What other bits did you add?
Appreciate 0