Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-07-2014, 12:22 AM   #1
Sackman1886
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 sDrive 28i

Headlight Upgrade Help

So this is not an uncommon story here. I just bought my 2014 sDrive 28i and I didn't get the lighting package. What are my options to upgrade? I love that classic xenon angel eyes look. Is that not possible to do with the standard halogen bulb headlights? I'm looking for all of the advice I can get! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:44 AM   #2
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Just like you I didn't get the lighting package. I had it in my previous BMW, but this time for a leased car I wanted to meet a price point. Somehow I feel less attached to a lease car than a car I own.

Anyhow I don't care about the look that much, but the low beams are lacking in pitch dark mountain roads. I think the only reasonable and effective solution is to upgrade the bulbs to a whiter light, something like Sylvania Silverstar ultra or Piaa night tech. The downside is that these bulbs have a shorter life, I figure about a year for silver stars.

I believe silver stars made a very noticeable difference in my Mazda for about $35 a year.

Other retrofits are either illegal or cost prohibitive and might also affect your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #3
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

you can open up the lights and install projectors with a built in angel eye look...Google is your friend...There have been some threads on this on some other sights...

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/

Yea...some people says its "illegal' etc. but so is speeding, rolling thru right on red lights and who knows what else...I've never heard of anyone being arrested for having a xenon headlight or bulb in a non "factory equiped car...but you know the disclaimer..."for off road use..."
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

The issue with fitting xenon capsules in conventional housings is twofold...
First, the capsule's lighted portion is incorrectly oriented for the reflector and lenses of incandescent lights; this results in a very bright but badly focused light; however much joy the weird color (purples and blues are common) and bountiful light may bring to the owner, these lights unfailingly blind oncoming traffic.
Secondly, there generally isn't any provision for hi/lo operation; instead you get a big blast of unfocused light. OEM xenons either have two separate lights or a moveable reflector to create high and lo beams.
As far as getting arrested, here in PA you at least won't pass state inspection, and it may be that the police have been pulling people over for these lights as well. We have beaucoup pickup trucks here in Westsylvania, and Billyjoe Bob was uncommon fond of doing the xenon capsules thing. With the high mounting of pickup lights added to the mix, these conversions were blinding and downright dangerous. For awhile they were quite common, but now far less so.
It may be possible to go to higher wattage incandescent bulbs in the standard housings, coupled with running the power thru' relays rather than all the way from the battery to the steering column and back again, which leads to a voltage drop. Silverstars are the best easy fix, and I've not found them to have short service life.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
Sackman1886
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the help. This is kind of what I was afraid of. I may just suck it up and deal with what I have. It's not bothering me yet!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #6
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

I know of one person who did the upgrade on another BMW. He replaced the physical lights, the light module (electronics), and the light control switch. From what I gathered there were hiccups as the tech blew some of the other electronics in the process.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

Sackman, at least try the Silverstars. They are an improvement, and not especially expensive.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Installing projectors can be done for under $500, including the angel eyes if you are handy...
This however, does not get you the adjustment and turning of the headlights as per the BMW stock ones...

I considered a halogen X1 because it was such a good deal but decided the lights were too important... Subsequently i waited another month or so and found a better deal with the lighting package...

Even though there are some "options," nothing you do will get you factory stock operable lights without spending $2,000+ on it. just too many parts to get...

AFAIK only a few have attempted this mod, only because they are in a country where they can not order the Zenon lights or vehicles are so hard to come by.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #9
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

I believe halogen lights have their own merits too, they are cheaper to begin with, compared to adaptive lights there is a much simpler mechanism involved, so less things to break. In minor accidents repair cost could be much lower. If decent bulbs are used and properly adjusted, they provide adequate visibility.

One of the reasons that I chose X1 was value, in comparison with other BMW and luxury models. If you get each and every option the car starts to become too expensive, and you lose the value proposition. You just need to decide which ones are more important to you. So you shouldn't fret over not having every option.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:12 PM   #10
x1Beamer
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

So without the factory lighting package, no upgraded lights can be installed?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 01:15 AM   #11
peter123
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Sackman, at least try the Silverstars. They are an improvement, and not especially expensive.
Moon
The Osram 65W H7 Rallye are overall brighter (not just a hot spot) than the Silverstars and have a longer lifetime. On a properly adjusted headlight, no one but you will notice the brighter illumination. See http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 01:48 AM   #12
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Will going from 55w to 65w cause any error codes or other problems? BMWs are notorious for having finicky electronics.

Autoexpress tests light bulbs every year. In the past few years Philips x-treme vision has won in H7 category, and Osram night breaker in H4 categor, but they might not be available in regular part stores, unlike silver stars. You can buy them online however. And according to their tests these bulbs do make a big difference, unlike consumer reports retards who claim all bulbs are the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #13
bimmeric
Rep
Drives: sDrive 28i

After reading several articles, user comments, and comparison tests, I decided to go for Philips x-treme vision H7.

I noticed about 20% light output improvement from factory halogens. The color is still yellowish, but noticeably whiter and brighter than factory. Also, I observed that the light coverage or throw distance is about 15-20 feet farther than factory. It's been 3 months of trouble-free use since I installed them. If they last for more than a year, I think they're worth it. I had Silverstars years ago and only lasted 6 months before burning out on me.

I had previous experiences with factory HID and aftermarket HID kits, and I have not seen any aftermarket halogen (whether PIAA, Philips, OSRAM), that can compare to HID's performance. I think the only thing better than HIDs are LEDs.

Although, I installed PIAA LED driving lamp in my other car and I'm still not convinced but I have yet to test a higher output LED lamp.

Last edited by bimmeric; 01-10-2014 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #14
peter123
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaFan View Post
Will going from 55w to 65w cause any error codes or other problems?
No, not in 9 months of use.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #15
Bamsterman68
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 sDrive28i ///M-Sport

From BMW

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/39...E-LIGHT-BULBS/
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #16
Sackman1886
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I ordered the GP Thunder 7500k H7 (headlights) and H11 (fog lamps) from Mod Bargains. I will post before and after pics after I receive and install!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #17
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

I purchased the Philips x-treme vision H7. Will install tomorrow or Tuesday. I thought is should be better than Osram, because there is no light blocking blue tint.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #18
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsterman68 View Post
This should be either Philips or Osram, I don't think BMW makes light bulbs. They just take them and add their logo + 100% markup!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #19
Sackman1886
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaFan View Post
I purchased the Philips x-treme vision H7. Will install tomorrow or Tuesday. I thought is should be better than Osram, because there is no light blocking blue tint.
Did you do yours yet? I was going to today, but I couldn't get a good angle on the driver's side. I pulled out the part of the wheel well, but couldn't really get my hand in there. The other side looks like it shouldn't be too hard. Any advise? I was looking for videos online demonstrating it, but couldn't find anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 02:12 AM   #20
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackman1886 View Post
Did you do yours yet? I was going to today, but I couldn't get a good angle on the driver's side. I pulled out the part of the wheel well, but couldn't really get my hand in there. The other side looks like it shouldn't be too hard. Any advise? I was looking for videos online demonstrating it, but couldn't find anything.
Not yet, just got the bulbs today and didn't have gloves with me. Will attempt tomorrow. The user manual instructions appeared to be straightforward but looks like there are some issues with getting in there.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 08:58 AM   #21
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

As a reminder, don't leave fingerprints on the bulbs; it can lead to premature failure. Wipe 'em down with alcohol before you install them, and handle with gloves if it's impossible not to touch the glass.
Apologies if I've told you something you already know.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #22
bimmeric
Rep
Drives: sDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackman1886 View Post
Yeah, it could be a little daunting when you have a big hand. What I did was remove the two front wheels so I'll have enough working space. And yes, be careful not to touch the bulbs. I didn't use gloves because I did not want to lose my feel when inserting the bulbs. You could easily lose your grip on the bulb when navigating your hand into that tight compartment.

What really worked for me was using my pointy and middle fingers to hold and position the bulb. I practiced removing/installing using the factory bulb. Once you get the feel of it, then you'll know it's time to put in the new bulb. And when everything's said and done, you might end up with a few scrapes or bruises on your hand.
Appreciate 0