XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
Stephen_walls
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 X drive 2013 (E84)

Strange X1 E84 turn indicator fault

Hi everyone! Just joined this forum today and I'm hoping someone can help a first time BMW owner!

The car is an X1 Xdrive Xline E84 model. I noticed recently that when unlocking/locking, the rear passenger side indicator didn't flash. On closer inspection, the passenger side wing mirror repeater doesn't work either, but the front passenger side does! No problem I thought, just needs a replacement bulb....not so...I removed the tail light bulbs and checked them all and they are all fine. no corrosion, no melted connectors, everything good. Tried the hazard lights...same result, the rear passenger and passenger wing mirror indicator don't flash. The computer does not report a faulty bulb and there are no warnings when I use the check function or when I plug in an OBDII reader. The repeaters on the dash work normally and do not flash at a faster rate when indicating left, which it should do if the bulb has failed.

In summary:
  • All bulbs tseted good using a multimeter
  • Car does not report a fault
  • Front indicator and dash repeaters flash at the normal rate

Anybody experience this problem before?

Please be kind, it's my first post!

Best regards

Steve
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
CSPM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 S28

You mentioned that the bulb is OK, on the rear tail lamp. Did you check if any voltage is present at the socket when the indicator is activated? Might be as simple as possibly a blown fuse, in most cases the circuits are split. Only other idea would be the control box, where the programming takes place. Have you had any programming done to your vehicle? This would indicate to the system everything is OK and not generate a code, if for whatever reason it was coded improperly. Lets keep it simple first, check the fuse box.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 01:54 PM   #3
Stephen_walls
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 X drive 2013 (E84)

Hi CSPM,

Thanks for the response. No, I haven't checked the voltages at the bulb socket yet. It's a bit tricky as the light assembly wont work at all unless it's plugged into the lens assembly.

Can I just short the two connectors together to make the test easier? anyone know?

I find the fuse diagram completely unintelligible, I'm not sure there is an independent fuse for the indicators? Anyone know which fuse I should be checking? or is this the mythical LCM I've been reading about? Seems unlikely as there are no fault codes stored, or read via the OBDII port.

I've not had any programming work done, so we can be certain it's not that

All ideas gratefully received!

Best regards

Steve
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #4
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_walls View Post
Hi CSPM,

Thanks for the response. No, I haven't checked the voltages at the bulb socket yet. It's a bit tricky as the light assembly wont work at all unless it's plugged into the lens assembly.

Can I just short the two connectors together to make the test easier? anyone know?

I find the fuse diagram completely unintelligible, I'm not sure there is an independent fuse for the indicators? Anyone know which fuse I should be checking? or is this the mythical LCM I've been reading about? Seems unlikely as there are no fault codes stored, or read via the OBDII port.

I've not had any programming work done, so we can be certain it's not that

All ideas gratefully received!

Best regards

Steve
Use a test light to check for power coming through each wire at the connector (while you actually turn on the turn signal circuit)

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...-56146kit.aspx

Reference the video used for this 4-pole trailer harness install to see what I mean. He shows it at 2:00 min.

| 3-IM | AA Headers | Eurocharged Stage-3 | BMW PI |
Appreciate 0