Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

11-24-2011, 07:02 AM   #1
loukas135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive28i M Sport

First experience in the snow !!

In a single word: WOW !!!!!!

The first time for me with an all wheel drive vehicle in the snow. I can't compare with other system like Audi Quatro, Mercedes 4Motion, Subaru ... But let me tell you that BMW has a hell of a system with xDrive.

I'm very very impressed. Finally, winter's not gona be that bad this year after all

Have a nice day everybody !
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

Pic's please. Do it again and get some photos...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by loukas135 View Post
In a single word: WOW !!!!!!

The first time for me with an all wheel drive vehicle in the snow. I can't compare with other system like Audi Quatro, Mercedes 4Motion, Subaru ... But let me tell you that BMW has a hell of a system with xDrive.

I'm very very impressed. Finally, winter's not gona be that bad this year after all

Have a nice day everybody !
My experience last year as well, albeit on winter rubber
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

winter photos needed please folks....
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Hmm, Iīm not that impressed... When turning out on a slippery road, the AWD grips with a big bang im my car, same with my friends 5-series. I also do not feel the same confidence as in my earlier Audi A4. That car was outstanding in slippery road conditions...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 05:34 AM   #6
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

What do you mean by saying "it grips with a big bang"..Grip must be good and so many people have said its great in the Snow. I am so looking forward to the 4WD vice my current E46 which was rubbish in last years snow, mind I did have summer tyres on it as we dont normally get the amount of snow we got last year..No sign of it here yet either!

Last edited by Blue Bottle; 12-04-2011 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Possibly some snow on the cards this Sunday evening into the first part of next week.

Have 4x4, have winter rubba, will take pics.....if it snows

PS: Also have chains, shovel, traction tracks, bag of grit, tow rope if I get stuck
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Mario, hope you have fun and looking forward to the Pics if possible, you listen out for that Big Bang...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
dr.rock
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 xDrive 28i

Lots of snow to drive around in here and so far I have been impressed. Managed to keep it between the snowbanks so far and have had no problems dusting my brother in-law in his A4. Traction was good with the all-seasons, but is amazing with the snowies on.
A white-out drive to the mountains and ski hill access roads will be better tests.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep

I mean that it comes a lot of a noise when the AWD grips, and i does not feel good and safe at all. Not as safe as the quattro system in my previous A4. I can tell you that I have had a lot of AWD cars, Volvos, Audis, Bimmers, Hyundais, SAABs, and as I live in Sweden I know what bad road conditions are... Unfortantly the X1 is second from the end regarding the AWD, only Hyundai is is worse. But, as always, that is MY opinion...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #11
loukas135
Private First Class
Rep

Don't know why you drive a X1 then ... The xDrive has a great reputation in general so your comments seems out of proportion. Second to Hyundai's awd system ??? This is my first "AWD" but have been able to try a Subaru outback and I could tell BMW didn't lack anything in term of efficiency.

If this is your opinion, I suggest you put a "for sale" sticker on your BMW and ran back to an Audi A4 which I'm sure is a terrific and great car to drive.

I feel sorry for you ... You don't belong to the "B" brand obviously.

Have a nice day
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
Costin
Rep
Drives: x1

Xdrive is a bit different than quattro.
Two years ago, when I first tested the car on a sky hill up & down I was also impressed by the car. But the snow was fresh. When it gets slippery you need to control the gas...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Costin, is that not true of any car, that you should control the gas if its slippery, what's different with the XDrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
loukas135
Private First Class
Rep

Maybe it's me but I'm starting to think that the ol question may be the presence or not of the DSC. The xDrive will continue to work without it as well and there should'nt be any intrusion in the engine revolution or the brakes ... Maybe this is what the issue is actually. I didn't try the xDrive without the DSC so when we get enough snow I will. Just to validate the point.

Last edited by loukas135; 12-04-2011 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
Canadian eh!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440xi Gran Coupe!!!!

Quote:
Maybe it's me but I'm starting to think that the ol question may be the presence or not of the DSC. The xDrive will continue to work without it as well and there should'nt be any intrusion in the engine revolution or the brakes ... Maybe this is what the issue is actually. I didn't try the xDrive without the DSC so when we get enough snow I will. Just to validate the point.
I think you are right on with this thinking. The big "bang" is likely the brakes kicking in to stop a wildly spinning wheel. The differential will proportion front to back but in very slippery conditions the abs system gets pulled into play to slow individual wheels. Audi does this more mechanically in the differential I believe. So if you were hammering the throttle and getting no traction from a given wheel, it could give a banging sound as it stopped suddenly with the brake. Maybe , possibly......

Traction control off .... In a scenario with no traction front or rear, the system would transfer power front and back but with no grip they would just spin and not be controlled with the brakes. maybe

I am going to try and find a good description of the drive system functionality and post it.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #16
Costin
Rep
Drives: x1

"Costin, is that not true of any car, that you should control the gas if its slippery, what's different with the XDrive."

IMHO with a lot of power comes a lot of useless spin...

"Traction control off .... In a scenario with no traction front or rear, the system would transfer power front and back but with no grip they would just spin and not be controlled with the brakes"

I think this is true, but I've tried on sand and I didn't get any help from DSC Off
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #17
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Don't know why you drive a X1 then ... The xDrive has a great reputation in general so your comments seems out of proportion. Second to Hyundai's awd system ??? This is my first "AWD" but have been able to try a Subaru outback and I could tell BMW didn't lack anything in term of efficiency.

If this is your opinion, I suggest you put a "for sale" sticker on your BMW and ran back to an Audi A4 which I'm sure is a terrific and great car to drive.

I feel sorry for you ... You don't belong to the "B" brand obviously.

Have a nice day
Jesus, take it easy. Just explaining my thoughts about the different cars. Hard for you to take my criticism about the X1??? I am not so happy paying 560 000 SEK for my car with this poor AWD system. Why donīt you try some other cars and compare the AWD systems yourself.

Have a nice day...
Appreciate 0