Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
GTony
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 F25 XDrive 28i M Sport

Hub Rings and Spacers

When I got my wheels from the USA they had a Centre Bore of 74.1mm so I was supplied with Hub Rings to match my cars 72.56mm C/Bore.
Because of my concern for some rough installer just banging the wheel onto the hub I got 2 sets of H/Rings in case they damaged one, taking into consideration virtually impossible to get in Australia and how long they would take to come from O/Seas.
In fact will put wheels in other car, get tyres put on and balanced then take home to put on X1 myself using my torque wrench 120nm I believe. Will then take back for wheel alignment. At least knowing no H/Rings are damaged.
Decided on Hard Plastic because the seller said they were better, more flexible than Metal ones. What thoughts on Metal or Hard Plastic ??
SPACERS - Are these supplied to exactly fit your Centre Bore or do some have to have H/Rings also?
Just wondering - If your new wheels and spacers both need H/Rings + longer bolts, is that safe as long as there torqued, balanced and aligned correctly?
Not considering Spacers but might have to if I want a bigger Tread Width.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
note46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe, 328d SW, i4

I prefer aluminum ones. I've used both plastic and aluminum ones and I like the way the aluminum ones stay on the wheel. They are a little bit more difficult and costs more but I've never lost one due to one falling off when removing the wheel. Having said that, plastic ones work fine, just keep an eye out whenever you remove the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
GTony
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by note46 View Post
I prefer aluminum ones. I've used both plastic and aluminum ones and I like the way the aluminum ones stay on the wheel. They are a little bit more difficult and costs more but I've never lost one due to one falling off when removing the wheel. Having said that, plastic ones work fine, just keep an eye out whenever you remove the wheel.
Thanks for reply. Was not aware aluminium cost more. Will be looking around at machine shops to perhaps make some good/solid ones.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
Beondwacko
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i M sport

I'd go with either or. They are not weight bearing / load bearing, they locate the wheel correctly at least that's the way it's supposed to be. Actually, depending on the alloy of aluminum, I'd be more interested in plastic just so as they won't seize to the hub or wheel itself.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
GTony
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beondwacko View Post
I'd go with either or. They are not weight bearing / load bearing, they locate the wheel correctly at least that's the way it's supposed to be. Actually, depending on the alloy of aluminum, I'd be more interested in plastic just so as they won't seize to the hub or wheel itself.
I think that's why the seller recommended the hard plastic. He said in extreme heat conditions you could have a problem removing the wheel and getting the alloy/aluminium hub ring off.
I would prefer to have hard plastic with a spare set for any unforseen errors that might occur.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
They make this stuff called anti seize. Solves all your aluminum to any other metal problems
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #7
GTony
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
They make this stuff called anti seize. Solves all your aluminum to any other metal problems
Thanks, will add Anti Seize to my notes and look for types in Aust. when visiting car care shops.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #8
skylineguv
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Macan Turbo, Jet Black

I've run both Aluminium and plastic and would happily use either, unless you plan to track the vehicle then the Aluminium is often a better choice due to the heat generated.
Plastic is certainly easier to remove from the hub, especially with BMW's odd propensity for high levels of water ingress in the area of the hub, but as @Twix says, anti-seize (Copaslip, Permatex, Loctite brands etc) mitigates this issue.

As for spacers, you'll find both hubcentric and non available. The hubcentric will generally have the same hub bore/ring diameter and would still require hub rings for your 74.1mm wheels, unless of course you go the route of custom items to suit your requirements.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #9
GTony
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hi skylineguv,
Looks like I'll be going the std. route and get the hubcentric spacer to bump out my wheels with h/rings on.
I believe 12mm and up have hubcentric to rest/centre your wheels on.
Appreciate 0