XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
gvlbuckeye
Rep
Drives: 2014 Xdrive 28i MSport

Question Final stage of choosing options to order and need advice!

I'm feeling like the M Sport X28i is where I want to go - I just really wish I could drive one before making my decision but no dealer in my area has one or are even planning on having one. My job took me to Columbia SC yesterday so on my way back I stopped by the local dealer. They had 3 X1's all base models except for one well equipped 35i and the others were sDrive's When I asked the SA about the M Sport he said they probably would never get one unless it was ordered since they primarily order base models for the floor. ???

My questions are these:
How much stiffer is the Msport that the base X28i and what difference does the 19" wheel option make? I'm nervous about the 30 series tire and the cushioning with such a small sidewall! I drive an FX35 now, just for reference.

Can I assume that all Msport models come with paddle shifters?

The ultimate package does not list the garage door opener feature, I thought that the ultimate package included all the options of the Tech, Premium and Driver assist package.

Since I live in SC I will definitely option for the Performance Center delivery - it's literally 15 minutes from my house If anyone has the chance to go it should be on your bucket list!

Thanks, all opinions are welcome!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Ex-One
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ex-One

The M-Sport should come with paddle shifters but be sure to mention that you must have them to your CA.

The ultimate package does in fact have the garage door openers so don't worry about that.

I suggest adding heated seats and premium audio. At that point your pretty much at my build!

Oh make sure you get the lighting package!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
Vertigo//SD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i (temporarily)

I have a 2013 X1 xDrive28i, M-sport with the 19" wheels. I don't know how much stiffer the suspension is compared to the base model, but I personally find it on the soft side. (My previous three cars were ///M cars so that's my reference point.) I don't think the paddles are automatically added. Option '7XA' needs to be specified...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

The M Sport suspension is not much stiffer than the base but body roll is much more controlled. The 19" wheels will make the ride harsher than the suspension does. Too bad you don't have any options to test drive before purchasing.

The 19s come with summer performance tires. The 18s come with All-Season tires standard and summer performance are a no cost option (that must be specified when you order). I recommend the summers. Get a separate winter set if you need winter performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i
As of December production the M Sport Line of the E84 X1 will experience following adjustments:

1) M Sport Line – available with all-season tires
  • Standard: Option 2MY 18" M light alloy wheel (Style 355M) with A/S tires (NEW)
  • Alternative I: Option 2PD 18" M light alloy wheel (Style 355M) with performance tires (+$0)
  • Alternative II: Option 2MP 19" M light alloy wheel (Style 225M) with performance tires (+$600)

2) M Sport Line – Standard with Paddle shifters (7XA)
  • Standard: Option 7XA M Sports Leather Steering wheel with paddle shifters (NEW)
  • Alternative: Option 710 M Sport Leather Steering wheel (+$0)
Thread: Tires for M Sport 18"
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-One View Post
The M-Sport should come with paddle shifters but be sure to mention that you must have them to your CA.

The ultimate package does in fact have the garage door openers so don't worry about that.

I suggest adding heated seats and premium audio. At that point your pretty much at my build!

Oh make sure you get the lighting package!!!
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

I'm in Columbia,SC as well and I had to order an M Sport last summer. I went with 18" because of a bad experience with 19" on a 2007 X3 M Sport. There was no option for all season tires when I ordered but I wouldn't want them where we live since it never snows. Unless you plan on going off road there is no real need for X drive verses S drive at least in Columbia,SC. I had an X5 and 2 X3's and never had any use or need for all wheel drive down here and it is lighter, better gas mileage, handles slightly better and less things to go wrong.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

The M Sport with 19" wheels rides very well. Not hard or jarring with the low profile tires. I work in an industrial area and cross railroad tracks daily. It simply glides across them and I barely feel potholes. Much better ride than my last car on 18" wheels with 40 series tires.

My M Sport does not have paddle shifters. I think it's odd that they're not standard however I never used them on my last car so I don't miss them here.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
gvlbuckeye
Rep
Drives: 2014 Xdrive 28i MSport

Thanks for the replies so far, it really helps. Does someone have picture of the 7XA wheel? Am I thinking correctly? The paddles are always active and you don't need to select a different mode on the shifter like I do on my FX?
Yes, I am leaning toward the Lighting package and heated seats. I'm still up in the air about the HK audio. I listened to the HK in a 3 series at the dealership because they didn't have one to test in a X1. I wasn't that impressed to be honest. Surround in a car bothers me, love it in my theater just not in a car

What are the opinions on Servotronic? Does it only effect the steering at parking lot speeds? I like stiff steering - I own 2 cars without power assist! I just don't want to have to wrestle with it in a daily driver. My wife and daughter say they don't like driving my FX because they say it drives "heavy" and I think that's what they are referring to.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlbuckeye View Post
Am I thinking correctly? The paddles are always active and you don't need to select a different mode on the shifter like I do on my FX?
Yes and no. Yes, you can always use the paddles.
If you do so while in DS mode, it switches to M, and it's paddles (or stick) from then on. To get it back to DS, you have to flip it over to D and back again.
If you do so in D mode, it will revert back to D mode after an indeterminable time. Usually at just the wrong moment. - like if you're using the paddles to engine brake down a hill, it will suddenly switch back and upshift several gears, and you gain speed you didn't want. Yet at other times you want it to switch back, and it doesn't, so you have to flip it to DS and back again.

In either case, if you use paddles every now and then, but want to give control back to the automatic, get used to the horizontal flick-flick between DS and D.

That said, it's a great option to have. The shifting is so quick you'd almost think it was a double-clutch.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
bmwx3805
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 cruze diesel and 2019 430I

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlbuckeye View Post
I'm feeling like the M Sport X28i is where I want to go - I just really wish I could drive one before making my decision but no dealer in my area has one or are even planning on having one. My job took me to Columbia SC yesterday so on my way back I stopped by the local dealer. They had 3 X1's all base models except for one well equipped 35i and the others were sDrive's When I asked the SA about the M Sport he said they probably would never get one unless it was ordered since they primarily order base models for the floor. ???

My questions are these:
How much stiffer is the Msport that the base X28i and what difference does the 19" wheel option make? I'm nervous about the 30 series tire and the cushioning with such a small sidewall! I drive an FX35 now, just for reference.

Can I assume that all Msport models come with paddle shifters?

The ultimate package does not list the garage door opener feature, I thought that the ultimate package included all the options of the Tech, Premium and Driver assist package.

Since I live in SC I will definitely option for the Performance Center delivery - it's literally 15 minutes from my house If anyone has the chance to go it should be on your bucket list!

Thanks, all opinions are welcome!
BMW of Columbia is a great dealership. Thats where i got mine from. But if you do decide to buy you should get it from them and use joey macintosh as your sales guy. I wouldn't use any one else. It really is a great dealership.
Appreciate 0