XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-21-2013, 03:10 AM   #1
lakesman
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d

Tailgate trim

Have been fitting some extra soundproofing to the boot area - makes a difference.

However I cannot remove the trim from the tailgate. I thought that after removing the 4 screws, I could simply work around the trim perimeter and pop each clip. Wrong!
The trim appears to be held firmly centrally and whilst maybe just internal clips, I am reluctant to just pull and risk breaking something.
Any advice appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M(382/740)

Check out realoem.com. There might be a pic of he trim. You might have to slide it rather than pull it.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
InLimbo
Rep
Drives: E84 XDrive23D

I had mine off last week to try and suss out a rattle. There are a couple of stubborn clips towards the rear window but if you grit your teeth and yank hard, it should come away. Don't forget to feed the manual release cable back through the trim hole first though.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
Ameray
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive20i

InLimbo, did not manage to solve the rattle? I also had an rattle there, and thought the culprit to be the release cable. I didn't take the trim off, but forced a lot of sponge in behind the trim (through the hole for the manual release cable, through the latch, and through the sides of the trim. The rattle is gone for now.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
peter123
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesman View Post
I thought that after removing the 4 screws, I could simply work around the trim perimeter and pop each clip. Wrong!.
In addition to the screws there are eight snap-ins, and yes, they are stiff to release. Two on the top, two each side, two on the bottom. A diagram of their positions looks like each corner of a flattened octagon. Nothing rattled in mine though.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 02:43 AM   #6
InLimbo
Rep
Drives: E84 XDrive23D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameray View Post
InLimbo, did not manage to solve the rattle? I also had an rattle there, and thought the culprit to be the release cable. I didn't take the trim off, but forced a lot of sponge in behind the trim (through the hole for the manual release cable, through the latch, and through the sides of the trim. The rattle is gone for now.
Unfortunately not. It's a real mystery, more of a clunking noise than a rattle, that was still there even without the trim.

Sorry to crash your thread lakesman....hope you managed to get the trim off!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
lakesman
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d

Many thanks for the info - job now done. Rather than just pull the trim off, I made a tool from a piece of flat bar. Once one of the lower corner clips had been sprung, it was just a case of going round all the others with the tool, ie insert at base of clip and twist.
Appreciate 0