Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M(382/740)

Bike Transport Options

Thought this might be helpful for someone.

BMW Racks + RockyMounts Euro Pitchfork = success!

I was looking for a decent option to transport bikes with our X1. I looked at adding a trailer hitch and getting a hitch mounted bike carrier. (I still may eventually get a hitch so I can tow a small utility trailer, but I was not willing to drop $700 on a exuhitch at the moment. I did some reading on hitches from curt and others, but I think exuhitch makes a good case for not attaching to the extra sunroof support member underneath the car, just a preference for me.)

So looking at roof mounted options, I looked at the thule roof racks, but could not justify the price premium over the BMW racks. I found a set of used BMW racks from a member here for a decent price ~$185 I think. Fitted them to the car, and they are perfect, no noticeable wind noise.

Then was the dilemma on how to mount the bikes, having never used a roof mounting option in the past. Looked at the BMW options, and options from thule and yakima. I ended up buying the Euro Pitch Fork from RockyMounts. I got them from autoanything, with a 20% coupon code and free shipping so for $184 I was able to get 2 of them, one of each of our bikes. Mounted them up, attached our bikes and went for a drive. I could not be happier!

The euro pitch fork mounts using the T track on the BMW racks, they secure with allen bolts, nice and secure and feels part of the car once all is tightened down. The bikes mount securely, and don't move at all when driving down the road. We were surprised how easy it was to mount the bikes and my wife was even able to load and unload her bike with ease. We did not notice any excessive wind noise, and you really cant even tell the bikes are up there when driving down the road. The best part is that the bikes don't touch each other, there is no touching or rubbing like I have experienced with some hitch mount carriers.

So for ~$369 I have a carrier solution to transport our 2 bikes safely and securely, pretty happy. I will post some pics the next time I have the bikes mounted.

TJ
Appreciate 0