Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
famfmann
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive28i M Sport

Question xLine vs M Sport Line

Hi all!
I'm trying to decide between xLine and M Sport Line, and I was wondering what suggestions or opinions you all might have. I've talked about it with my fiancee until she

I searched the thread for xLine and then for M Sport, but I didn't find a discussion that compared them. Sorry if there is one and I missed it.

I know the options and colors I want (save for two options):

M Sport
- black sapphire metallic exterior
- beige leather interior
- wood trim
- heated seats
- 18" 355M Wheels with All Season tires (once that option is available in Dec, fingers crossed!)

xLine
- jet black (non metallic) exterior
- oyster leather interior
- wood trim
- cold package
- 18" Y-Spoke 322 wheels

and then either line
- sDrive28i
- Lighting Package
- Ultimate Package (or maybe Premium and Tech Packages instead)
- BMW Apps (maybe)

But, I am undecided between M Sport and xLine.

M Sport:
+ stiffer sport suspension means less body roll, sportier handling
+ more aggressive look for the badass factor
+ M Sport sills look hot
+ Sport seats
~ no heated steering wheel (never had one before, but tested and it's nice)
~ anthracite headliner does look cool, makes the moonroof and windows pop more
- stiffer suspension might be harsher ride on bumpy roads
- 5-spoke rims bend more easily on crummy roads (on my e93, I had 5 spokes, and all four rims inevitably bent enough to make noise at 60mph. I know I can get them straightened for $$$.)

xLine:
+ more stylish interior
+ can have heated steering wheel
+ Y-spoke wheels have more spokes, so rims bend less
+ non-sport suspension should be more comfortable on crummy roads
- non-sport suspension might roll too much
- less aggressive exterior

My fiancee helped me reduce the choice between sportier handling or a heated steering wheel. Sportier handling I can enjoy all year. Heated steering I would enjoy for half of the year at most (although my hands do get cold easily).

I am leaning toward M Sport for the sportier handling, which is why I want to go back to BMW (from VW). But sometimes I want a really comfortable ride.

M Sport: I've seen a poster say he/she didn't like how harsh M Sport is on crummy roads with lots of pot holes.

BMW Apps: I feel like I should get it, in case BMW releases a feature that I would actually use, but I may not use it at all. The only feature I might use is Web Radio for Pandora. I've tested an X1 with Bluetooth audio with Pandora on my iPhone, and it worked fine. I could even press "go to next track" to skip the current song. So, BMWApps might be $230 I don't need to spend.

Ultimate Package: seems like a no brainer at only $185 more invoice than Premium and Tech Packages. I've never had parking sensors, and I don't think I'd use the rear camera often. I did read a review that recommended the camera because the rear window is high. But again, might be $185 I don't need to spend.

I do plan to test drive the M Sport vs X1 no-line again soon, to be sure about the handling, ride, and harshness. First time I drove M Sport, I thought the suspension was a little stiff. Second time, I thought the handling was fantastic--very little body roll for a SAV! I have yet to drive an xLine 28i or experience the oyster xLine interior, but I know the xLine has no mechanical difference from the no line except for 18" rims.

So what do you all think?
What made you choose xLine or M Sport Line?
If you have M Sport, do you find the ride too harsh?
If you have BMW Apps, do you use it?
If you have Ultimate or PDC+Cam, do you find the rear camera useful?

Sorry the post is so long, and thank you so much to anyone who posts their thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

I have the base model. Would have probably purchased the M sport if it came in glacier silver. I thought the X Line was pricey for what you get.

Don't have the BMW apps, don't miss them.

Do have the Ultimate Package with PDC/Cam. At first I thought I wouldn't really use it, but I do appreciate having it now. The rear window is smaller and higher (than our X3 was) so I do find myself using the camera quite a bit. It's a no-brainer for $185.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Tirpitz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 GT, 2017 i3 REX

Can't comment on the line choice (went no line myself) but do spend the $185 for the Ultimate Package. The backup camera is worth it.

If you can't see any utility in the BMW Apps then don't get it. I wouldn't count on BMW adding features to it down the road.

The thing to do is find and drive a regular and M Sport model. Only you can decide if the suspension trade-offs are worthwhile.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
famfmann
Private
Rep

Thanks Bill B! Your take on Apps and PDC/Cam is what I picture myself thinking in 6 months.

I hear you on the xLine cost. I'm not a fan of BMW's packaging of options and silo-ing of colors. It used to be everything as an option. And if all I want is more spokes on rims, I could get wheels 321 for $545 invoice. But, I have to admit, I really do like the cream seats with black floor coloring.

Thanks Tirpitz!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Never had a test drive since I ordered in early June. Got the M Sport even though we wanted Glacier Silver and settled for Mineral White which is great. Wanted the body moldings, sports seats, sports suspension and wheels (18"). I find the suspension a lot less stiff than other BMW's such as M3's and a 2007 X3 M Sport. It's a lot more compliant and soft than the Mini Clubman S we traded in. Love the rear camera and park distance control, didn't want the camera but wanted PDC since I have it on my E93 and if your ever around kids or animals its a literal life saver or at least keep you from running over something you leave in the driveway. I wouldn't worry about bent rims, they probably all test out to the same specs so they all could bend if you hit a big enough pot hole. I didn't really want Biege interior but not that I have it it lightens up the interior to make it feel bigger but wish it had black carpet because Beige will get dirty without floor liners.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

While the color options are limited on the M Sport it is the only way to get the Performance Control feature on the X1 (with 80/20 rear bias on the xDrive, standard is 60/40).

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...e_control.html

Also, you get increased top-speed limiter (not sure if you'd ever need this on this type vehicle though).
      11-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

I recommend you find an older concrete highway for your next test drive. My M Sport's ride is acceptable on most asphalt surfaces except the most pocked, but on concrete at 70 mph+ it can rock and bounce dramatically. On one local section of I-94, it only does its very unique dance in the right lane. This despite both lanes being the same age and looking the same. Try resting your head against the headrest and it will beat the living sh!t out of you. Mind you this is not a patched road, although it is well traveled. The ride is better with the recently installed 17" non-runflat winter tires, but still not as smooth as I expected. Without question the car is a lot of fun on a smooth twisty road, however.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
famfmann
Private
Rep

Thanks guys! I appreciate you all sharing your experiences.
Lucky13, you have a point about bent rims. I had four bent rims on my 2000 e46 wagon, and those were 7 spoke. I'm glad you like the beige! It does look dirty faster than black.

nospam, yeah, I probably won't need that increased top speed limiter I did read about the Performance Control with xDrive, but I didn't like how heavy the hydraulic steering was with xDrive. It felt heavier than my e93 did. I also prefer RWD (as crazy as that sounds for a New Englander).

HottRodW, good idea. I haven't been on an old concrete highway since a long road trip to NY on I90, and it wasn't concrete until we crossed into NY. I remember the regular concrete segments and the pa-thump pa-thump, so I can imagine the M Sport dancing over those gaps.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
nospam
Captain
Rep

If you don't want xDrive then I would go with xLine personally. I wanted sparkling bronze and dark fineline wood trim but had to go with mineral grey and light fineline wood with M Sport.

We like the hydraulic steering. Feels just like my wife's 128i but a little heavier than my E90. Servotronic lightens this. I had planned to get servotronic but my wife said she didn't need it after test driving.

I have read reports that the servotronic option actually stiffens up the steering a little on the sDrive but have not verified.
      11-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
icemilkcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Soon to be x1

The black exterior and light interior is going to be hard to keep clean both inside and out. The light colored carpet will look old before its time, and if you wear jeans, the blue could rub off on the light colored leather seat.

If you bent 4 wheels on your last car, I am guessing the roads in your area must be really rough. Probably too rough for an M-sport. Why not the sport-line? That one comes with the sport seats without the hard suspension.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
Vertigo//SD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i (temporarily)

"...but I didn't like how heavy the hydraulic steering was with xDrive..."

I want the heavier steering so I just ordered a xDrive28i to replace the sDrive28i that's currently on a vessel and headed towards my dealership.

The wait continues again...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
bimmerdiesel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d, G07 M50i, F26 X4

Garage List
2022 bmw X7 M50i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X4  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
why not get sport rather than MSport. I dont wear gloves so heated steering wheel is well worth for guy like me. I like all MSport options but Sport has options which are very imp for me so I will probably choose Sport till they add heated steering wheel and/or PDC all around to MSport. Ride harshness on Boston roads shouldnt be bad for X1. Make sure tires you choose have good amnt of sidewall.
My car has Style 195 rims (10 spoke) and still got 2 bends and 3 bubbles. I dont think no of spokes will help you in reduction of wheel/tire damage. Sidewall should make a big difference
Good luck with your purchase.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

The 80/20 rear bias on the M pkg sold it for me on top of the other goodies. Never had a heated steering wheel so won't miss it, happy as long as I can get toasty with seat heaters . Now just to decide on the engine....
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
RocGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1

I went with the regular Sport line instead of the Xline. The main reason was for the sport seats. I really liked the look of the Xline more with the dark wood trim and the wheels. But in the end I decided it was the sport seats that was the winning factor.

Also the Ultimate package was a no brainer for me for an extra $185 since I absolutely wanted the Premium and Tech packages. I'm not sure how much I would use the rear camera but I figure it would help resale value at the very least.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #15
two-five boy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

I think u should strongly consider the sport line as a substitute to the m-sport, as u will get sports seat, sport and heated steering wheel. The only trade off is lack of sport suspension. IMO the "normal" suspension is no slouch vs. the m, I did drive both and the difference in steering feel and suspension stiffness was minimal. Perhaps I didn't drive it hard enough as I had my family with me. It's not as if we are comparing the suspension of a minivan to an M car.

Also, as ur getting black exterior regardless of trim, the exterior visual difference is minimalized as the black plastic trim (instead of painted trim on m sport) would blend in better on black compared to a light colored car.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #16
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-five boy View Post
I think u should strongly consider the sport line as a substitute to the m-sport, as u will get sports seat, sport and heated steering wheel. The only trade off is lack of sport suspension.
No, that's not the only difference. The M-sport line also has:

- A 20:80 front:rear ratio (the sport has 40:60)
- A more aggressive handling tuning
- A raised top speed limiter
- Different outside styling, including bigger air intakes
- Leather seats (no extra cost)
- Wood or dark crosshatch aluminium interior trim (no extra cost)
- M footrest (no extra cost)
- Staggered performance tires (that will change soon, I hear)
- Optional 19" wheels
- Smaller front foglights
- An optional M-Sport exclusive metallic colour (no extra cost)
- An optional flappy paddle steering wheel (no extra cost)

All in all, you get a LOT for the $600 price difference. I can't see a single reason why anyone would get the Sport line unless it is to get a specific colour not available with M-sport line, or they really don't want stiffer suspension, or the more RWD-like handling.

Last edited by Grovsnus; 11-27-2012 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #17
nospam
Captain
Rep

Grovsnus, the OP is getting sDrive not xDrive.

I believe Leather is still optional even with M Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #18
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
Grovsnus, the OP is getting sDrive not xDrive.

I believe Leather is still optional even with M Sport.
Ah, that makes a difference - like the cost difference being $1100, not just $600. And not getting the benefit of more RWD because you already have RWD. And leather costing extra for both lines.
Weird that you have to pay more to get less with the sDrive.

But anyhow, there are other differences in addition to the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #19
famfmann
Private
Rep

First, I gotta say how thrilled I am to talk with y'all about bimmers. My fiancee can't take it anymore. She'll entertain me here and there, but eventually I know bimmer talk is over. I'm so glad I found bimmerpost. This community rocks.

nospam, yeah, I really like the fineline wood trim in xLine too. Drool. I do want to revisit the hydraulic steering, because so many reviews out there praise the 28i engine and hydraulic steering of the X1. The e46 and e93 steering was heavy, but I don't remember it being as heavy as the X1's. Maybe my Jetta's electromechanical steering weakened my arms!

icemilkcoffee, yeah, black on beige is hard to keep clean, but I love the color combination. I had two bimmers with those colors, and the floor and mats do look dirty fast. Vacuuming and occasional carpet cleaner helped, beige floors do take more work than black--exactly why I like xLine's oyster seats black floor colors. In the beige and cream beige interiors, my jeans didn't rub off on the seats. Has that happened to anyone?

I did notice dirt in places I touched regularly, especially the cream beige in the e93. No stains though. I could clean it.

The roads around Boston? Some aren't so bad, some are awful, but :LOL yeah, two cars, all four rims bent on both, just a fact of driving around here after so many years. I know a good shop that fixes the bends. It's just nice not to have to do it often :-$.

vertigo, the wait will be worth it if that's what you want! That's great the dealer didn't mind ordering another one for you.

bimmerdiesel, so glad another Mass driver is on here! I commute between Waltham and Cambridge, a lot through Lexington and Belmont. Belmont is one of those towns that I swear believes in keeping speeding down by not maintaining the roads.

I briefly considered sport, but I don't like the interior colors. I have black interior now, and it gets too hot for my liking on a sunny day. The red? I don't think I can pull that off. I think of hookers and cocaine when I see the red interior. (No offense to the people who do pull off the red leather! It definitely is sporty.)

I'll wear gloves if I have to, but I feel disconnected from the car. The wheel slips between my fingers. Today was one of those days where I thought a heated wheel would be wonderful to have.

Good to know about your wheel style (hot) and experience around here. I dunno how the sidewall is on the factory tires, but I only got a bubble on an aftermarket once. The bent rims were factory, and I got the rims on the e93 straightened for $200 a wheel.

M3tallicar, have you tested the M Sport with xDrive? I imagine it's a lot of fun.

RocGuy, cool to hear another poster is happy with the ultimate pack. I have the same thought: even if I don't use it, it's a resale boost for cheap. (Speaking of resale, from my informal research on nadaguides, nav only adds $800. Ridiculous. I would skip nav if I could, but I need it if I want bluetooth audio in the X1. I'd just use mapquest on my iPhone (4), more up to date, FREE, but integrated is nice. So I tell myself "boo hoo, I 'have' to get Nav in the X1" .)

two-five boy, I noticed the black trim on Sport too. Black exterior looks good with it, but again, I prefer other interior colors than what's available with Sport line. To be fair, I noticed the M Sport suspension stiffness in two tests: 40mph + in a rotary (aka traffic circle), and 50mph+ on an on ramp. I noticed the M Sport had less body roll, but the X1 base still felt confident even with the amount of body roll. Very true that it's X1 vs X1, and not a minivan :LOL. My Jetta SportWagen feels like a clown car sometimes with all the squishy body roll vs. any bimmers I've driven.

I think the X1 steering wheel is the same on all lines, except M Sport, so Sport and xLine have the same steering wheel.

So far, BMW Apps is a no, and I'm re-evaluating xLine for that heated wheel. Maybe I can get a test drive in this weekend and try to make up my mind about M Sport vs not. I'll definitely let you guys know!

Last edited by famfmann; 11-27-2012 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #20
nospam
Captain
Rep

By my recollection/experience the E36>E46>E9x>F30 in terms of steering feel/stiffness. Our 2009 128i reminds me so much of the E36.

If you are revisiting the xDrive, add the servotronic option which will loosen up the hydraulic steering at lower speeds.
      11-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #21
famfmann
Private
Rep

Thanks nospam. I'll have to find an xDrive with servotronic to try.
I definitely agree: E46 > E9x > F30.
I tried the F30, it's lighter than my Jetta, but more precise and responsive.
I liked the weight of the X1 with electric steering (as blasphemous as that sounds). The X1 hydraulic felt heavy when I was backing up.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #22
08E92M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
By my recollection/experience the E36>E46>E9x>F30 in terms of steering feel/stiffness. Our 2009 128i reminds me so much of the E36.

If you are revisiting the xDrive, add the servotronic option which will loosen up the hydraulic steering at lower speeds.
I miss the steering feel in my old e36 dearly!
Appreciate 0