xDrive28i 12 46.15%
xDrive35i 14 53.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

10-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Question Want Xenon, xDrive28i w/Prem or xDrive35i for $400 more?

I'm set on getting an X1, will do ED (Too late to do it before Winter so it will be next April/May). First BMW.

Problem is I want Xenon lamps (for better visibility at night, not for the look).

If I got the xDrive28i I'd opt for panaramic roof, cold weather, and paddles, then (unfortuntely) have to get premium pkg to get Lights, so that's ED$34060
If I got the xDrive35i I'd just add cold weather and paddles (As it comes with the panaramic roof already), ED$34450.

Pro's and cons to either model....

I wouldn't look forward to less mpg from the 35i but the extra HP could be fun once in a while. Less gadgets to break w/o the premium package could be a plus.

On the 28i the only premium package item I'd care for is the exterior rearview mirrors that dim. Driver seat memory is just something else that could break imho (No idea how reliable it is on a bmw, but I plan on keeping this car 10-20 years if possible like my other cars). We're expecting kids soon so I'd almost think leatherette could be better than leather (maybe I'm wrong, never had leather in a car before or kids

My main reason for the X1 is I want a good crossover with driving performance in mind. I couldn't care much less about luxury and gadgets will always get outdated fast. I'm the only one that drives the car so manual seats are perfectly fine for me. I drive less than 8k miles a year too, but when I drive I like to enjoy the drive (I live in a rural area).

I see two paths, the petrolhead in me says go for the 35i for the 'top' level name but the practical side says go 28i and hope the power seats and premium package gadgets don't break in 10-20 years and you'll get the rear dimming mirrors which is something I did want.

I am curious what some of you who have more experience with the BMW brand would say for this situation?

Thanks,

Last edited by edx1; 10-11-2012 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

First off, congrats on choosing an X1, you won't be disappointed with either model.

Given your configurations, that is a tough call given the price is so close. If you only drive 8k a year, then fuel economy shouldn't be too much of a concern?

The dimming rearview mirror is a handy feature.

The N55 in the 35i has great performance, but it is mated to a 6 speed which some say negates the advantages of the N55 over the 28i's N20 mated to the 8 speed tranny.

I can tell you that I retrofitted the dimming rearview mirror in my X3, so for spending an extra $500 (eBay) or so, you could probably get pretty close to what you wanted with the 35i, though you would be spending in total $1k over. (The sideview mirrors would still not auto-dim though)

To me, the N55 is worth the extra price, fuel economy be damned.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
wcinvest
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (awaiting delivery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx1 View Post
I'm set on getting an X1, will do ED (Too late to do it before Winter so it will be next April/May). First BMW.

Problem is I want Xenon lamps (for better visibility at night, not for the look).

If I got the xDrive28i I'd opt for panaramic roof, cold weather, and paddles, then (unfortuntely) have to get premium pkg to get Lights, so that's ED$34060
If I got the xDrive35i I'd just add cold weather and paddles (As it comes with the panaramic roof already), ED$34450.

Pro's and cons to either model....

I wouldn't look forward to less mpg from the 35i but the extra HP could be fun once in a while. Less gadgets to break w/o the premium package could be a plus.

On the 28i the only premium package item I'd care for is the exterior rearview mirrors that dim. Driver seat memory is just something else that could break imho (No idea how reliable it is on a bmw, but I plan on keeping this car 10-20 years if possible like my other cars). We're expecting kids soon so I'd almost think leatherette could be better than leather (maybe I'm wrong, never had leather in a car before or kids

My main reason for the X1 is I want a good crossover with driving performance in mind. I couldn't care much less about luxury and gadgets will always get outdated fast. I'm the only one that drives the car so manual seats are perfectly fine for me. I drive less than 8k miles a year too, but when I drive I like to enjoy the drive (I live in a rural area).

I see two paths, the petrolhead in me says go for the 35i for the 'top' level name but the practical side says go 28i and hope the power seats and premium package gadgets don't break in 10-20 years and you'll get the rear dimming mirrors which is something I did want.

I am curious what some of you who have more experience with the BMW brand would say for this situation?

Thanks,
The power seats could break but I don't think that would be an item that is outrageous to fix. And I actually think there is a decent shot, they would last for the life of the car if you aren't adjusting them often. But the 28i would have more items that could break and be costly to fix including auto start stop if you are using that and perhaps comfort access.

Other then engine/electronics, the item that I'd be most concerned with actually having to repair is the moonroof. Based upon what I've read, it can be very expensive in certain circumstances. So expensive that some people decide to limit the functionality in the repaired moonroof to dramatically cut down on the repair costs. Every moonroof is probably a bit different so I don't know about the X1's.

But I will say this, I'd estimate the X1 28i to be less expensive over the next 10 years but not by a significant amount since the repair costs on this model should be higher based upon how you would be ordering it. The 28i should have the advantage in insurance costs and fuel economy costs. But the leather seats on the 28i won't hold up as well long term as the leatherette and they will have to be maintained. In addition, if you are keeping the car 10-20 years, you may be better off with the non turbo engine.

To be fair, most turbos today are made in such a way that they should be good for 160,000 miles but the N20 isn't as proven over the long term as BMW's 6 cylinder engine without a turbo.

I would certainly test drive both cars and if you like the 35i driving characteristics more which you probably will, go for it as long as you expect to drive less then around 10,000 miles per year. In general, reviewers think the 28i is the better deal but your circumstances are different in that you are 1) keeping the car for a long time whereby not having the turbo engine could be a slight advantage at least 2) doing ED where the savings are greater on the 35i 3) not driving tons of miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
bbg2d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Sport Line

If driven correctly in Eco Pro mode, the x1 35i can attain an indicated 33mpg over level roads (in my personal experience). I have ordered the 35i, after driving it I was hooked. the six-speed is still a good, german transmission.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Bill, I don't mind flipping the interior mirror, it's the exterior rearview mirrors that would be nice to dim. Going down long roads at night where deer lurk just off the road when you have lights coming from the sideview mirrors is a little annoying. I often end up driving with my left hand pressed against the window to block the left sideview mirror reflection and drive on the more right side of the road to keep the cars headlights behind me from reflecting headlights through the right sideview mirror).

I've been enjoying 28mpg for some time and going to 20mpg (I'd rather get up to speed faster than drive over the speed limit, so lots of revs/gas used from stops) would cost maybe a few hundred more a year, but in 5-10 years if our gas prices became like Europes I'd probably be hating the mpg. But I see the 5.3s 0-60 on the xDrive35i (Isn't it also a similar twin scroll turbo, just on a v6?) compared to the 6.3s on the xDrive but I'm really not sure when 1s would make a difference, any scenarios other than racing or bragging rights where 6.3 wouldn't be fast enough but 5.3 would?

Good to know the power seats should last a long time. For some reason I have in my memory that power seats are usually the first thing to fail on a bmw and easily run over a grand to fix minor problems with them. I don't mind few hundred dollar repairs every couple years, it's when there's a comma in a repair bill every year that I'd get annoyed quickly.

We do have pets, and the dogs don't like to ride in kennels or pet seats. I'm likely going to keep my current car for transporting the dogs (which I'm reading leather and pets do not go together) and it does snow a lot so leather is just looking like a bad choice for me.

I really which you could retro fit adaptive xenon lamps and dimming exterior sideview mirrors for under $2k, I'd do that in a heartbeat and just go for the xDrive28i.

Last edited by edx1; 10-11-2012 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i M version 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbg2d View Post
If driven correctly in Eco Pro mode, the x1 35i can attain an indicated 33mpg over level roads (in my personal experience). I have ordered the 35i, after driving it I was hooked. the six-speed is still a good, german transmission.
+1
      10-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Going down long roads at night where deer lurk just off the road when you have lights coming from the sideview mirrors is a little annoying...

but in 5-10 years if our gas prices became like Europes I'd probably be hating the mpg. But I see the 5.3s 0-60 on the xDrive35i (Isn't it also a similar twin scroll turbo, just on a v6?) compared to the 6.3s on the xDrive but I'm really not sure when 1s would make a difference, any scenarios other than racing or bragging rights where 6.3 wouldn't be fast enough but 5.3 would?

For some reason I have in my memory that power seats are usually the first thing to fail on a bmw...

I really which you could retro fit adaptive xenon lamps and dimming exterior sideview mirrors for under $2k, I'd do that in a heartbeat and just go for the xDrive28i.
Yeah, dimming sideviews are nice.

The N55 is a straight 6, and is a fantastically smooth.

For me, the N55 advantage was acceleration at higher speed, i.e. overtaking at highway speeds.

In all my BMWs, every single one having power seats, I never had a problem. If you are the only driver, then you'll use them a few times and probably hardly ever use them again.

If you absolutely must have Xenons (I do) you've gotta spec them, as a retrofit is horribly expensive.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
Tirpitz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 GT, 2017 i3 REX

In your case sure sounds like you need to test drive both power trains and select the one you prefer. The other factors are going to pale into insignificance compared to the engine/transmission factor.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I've only driven the xDrive28i, I'll have to go in and drive the xDrive35i but my only requirement for performance was >200hp and both fit the bill fine, which is why I'm stuck. I was almost hoping there would be some good arguments to stay with the xDrive28i so I'd get better gas mileage over the years but the cons of leather really makes me think the xDrive35i is a better fit. I wonder though if you can retro fit sideview dimming mirrors?

I'll have to get to the dealer this weekend and test out the xDrive35i,

What are the differences to compare?
Servo steering
6spd transmission (Does the 6 have the sport mode? I know the 8spd lost that option)
Bigger engine

BTW, the "Build You X1" tool on bmwusa lists the xDrive35i as a "3.0-liter, TwinPower Turbo, inline 6-cylinder engine". Are we sure it's not a turbo?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

5 years from now when gas is $7-8 a gallon the 4-5 mpg difference will be pretty big.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
Humble_Bear
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 530i,10 Golf,11 Sorento V6

Or x drive with just paddle shifters for $4000 less than with premium package?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #12
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wonder though if you can retro fit sideview dimming mirrors?

What are the differences to compare?
Servo steering
6spd transmission (Does the 6 have the sport mode? I know the 8spd lost that option)
Bigger engine

BTW, the "Build You X1" tool on bmwusa lists the xDrive35i as a "3.0-liter, TwinPower Turbo, inline 6-cylinder engine". Are we sure it's not a turbo?

It looks like the sideview retrofit is possible, only if you have power memory seats, but its not cheap.

The all wheel drive versions have hydraulic steering, the Sdrive 28i has electric steering. Servotronic is an option for either on the 28i, but is standard on the 35i.

The N55 is indeed an I-6 twinpower turbo.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

35i- a no brainer at that $ diff.
2009 Montego/terra 128i 6MT (ouch)...great car
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #14
Humble_Bear
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 530i,10 Golf,11 Sorento V6

Sorry, I don't know how OP got $34,450 for the 35i; I went to the website and got $40,015. Am I missing something? What is ED?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #15
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ED = European Delivery invoice price (but final price paid to a dealer will obviously be over invoice.)

Bill, where did you see the info about the side rearview mirror being a possible retro if you have power seats?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #16
popopine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blk x3 m40eye

I agree. try both tranny's. You'll know right away which feels right. Then go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirpitz View Post
In your case sure sounds like you need to test drive both power trains and select the one you prefer. The other factors are going to pale into insignificance compared to the engine/transmission factor.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #17
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

As mentioned, it really is important for you to test both powertrains. Do not make the mistake of assuming the 35i is the better vehicle until you fully assess it against your personal wants/needs. You might actually prefer the 2.0T, and the lower cost and better fuel economy could be an added benefit.

There is no question the six is faster. But if you read the reviews, it has been noted on multiple occasions that the extra power is virtually unusable most of the time in this type of vehicle. Also of note is that with less weight over the front wheels, the four cylinder is better balanced and handles better. And then there is the transmission ... some prefer the feel of the 6-speed, but I think it's fair to say that most prefer the 2.0T's 8-speed.

I have driven both engines in the 3-Series, and if they were paired with the same transmission in the X1 I would have been more inclined to pony up for the turbo six. That said, I have not driven the X1 with the six because on paper I felt the 28i was a better overall package for me (I ordered before the release). My wife and I chose the 2.0T over the V6 in our Q5 not because it was cheaper or more efficient, but because we both thought it was superior to the V6 in most ways that matter to us.

Keep us posted on your decision. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #18
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ED = European Delivery invoice price (but final price paid to a dealer will obviously be over invoice.)

Bill, where did you see the info about the side rearview mirror being a possible retro if you have power seats?
Here is a link to a DIY for the e90 (essentially the same)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681912

Not for the faint of heart. Looks like the mirror glass itself cost $300 per side, then you'd also have to replace the door switch panels and do some module re-programming.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #19
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

Loving everyone snapping up the 28s- I'm predicting a buyer's market on the 35s. On my 10 mile loop I did slightly better in the 35. To me it feels better, doesn't need prodding to get things going, it just goes, and goes.
2009 Montego/terra 128i 6MT (ouch)...great car
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #20
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

It certainly appears there are two distinct types of buyers for X1's. Many of us want the economy and utility of the 28, in my particular case it's my wife's car and I have a manual E93 335. There seems to be another group that bought this vehicle more for the performance attributes and some are even making modifications. This group is going for the 35. Everyone has their own priorities in what they want and the X1 can be optioned to fill both groups needs.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #21
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
It certainly appears there are two distinct types of buyers for X1's. Many of us want the economy and utility of the 28, in my particular case it's my wife's car and I have a manual E93 335. There seems to be another group that bought this vehicle more for the performance attributes and some are even making modifications. This group is going for the 35. Everyone has their own priorities in what they want and the X1 can be optioned to fill both groups needs.
I think you're partially right. Most of all, I wanted a car that would be fun to drive, and the choice was between the sDrive 28i and the xDrive 35i.
Because of the boring reasons that I sometimes need to drive with a full car for long distances, and also due to winter, I ended up ordering a 35i.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #22
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just got back from driving a xDrive35i. Dealership closed at 7:00 (before sunset) so no luck on seeing the xenon lights, however, I will be going out with a neighbor who has xenon (infinity or acura, don't recall) in a couple hours to experience them. He said BMW though are different, not just adaptive but BMW have more light that goes directly to the sides instead of just infront? But for now this is better than nothing.

So my thoughts on xDrive35i, and to compare I drove the xDrive28i about a two weeks ago so it wasn't totally fresh but they didn't have a xDrive28i in stock to compare right then.

I thought the xDrive35i had more growl but /maybe/ only a little more pull from a stop. I was a little surprised the power different didn't appear more through first or second gear. This could be because of three things I think; it's been too long since I did the xDrive28i test drive, the xDrive35i is _rumored_ to not be able to deliver all it's power at low speed, different expectations or the way I was feeling today.

The xDrive35i I did notice had more pull though at freeway speed, 65mph-80mph, but I can't honestly say that I think I'd ever need that extra power over the xDrive28i when on a freeway, afterall, I've been driving a 140hp car for 10 years and have managed just fine. When I need or want the power, it's pulling out of a business, road, or something around the City.

I'd _really_ like to know what the 0-40 times are for the xDrive28i and xDrive35i. If anyone wants to do record their tach and speedo's 0-40 (or 0-70) we could use some video editing software to pull out the exact time to speeds and graph the two cars acceleration times, that could be very revealing...

I thought the xDrive28i had more 'push you back into your seat' feel than the xDrive35i. The xDrive28i had the CA, my wife and myself and the xDrive35i tonight was just the CA and myself to which is interesting. Maybe I was just off tonight but again, I didn't feel as impressed in the xDrive35i under 40mph.

I can say that I like the 8spd trans more, from what I remember. The 6spd feels like any other car, the 8spd I'd also describe as more 'silky' because it switches so often and so smooth that it just seems new and interesting. I had to pay attention to when the xDrive28i was shifting but in the xDrive35i it's much more obvious.

I did like the servotronic steering for the force required around town more, however, I don't recall ever really feeling the road now that I'm thinking about it so I could opt for not getting that as I do like to feel the road more. I was worried before the test drive that it would be very soft on the freeway but it didn't feel too soft for me. I think either steering I could be happy with. If I had to pick the sport person in me would go hydrolic, the 'every day driver' side of me would go servo in a heart beat. I don't know which I'd pick if it were a no cost option but if I went with the xDrive28i I'd pass on it at $250. However I wouldn't pass on it if my wife were to drive the car sometimes but it's really not likely she will.

In the end, sadly though, the xDrive35i didn't win me over in the test drive to going with that model for xenon over the xDrive28i&premium pkg so back to 'what to spend $3k on that I don't care about"..

xDrive35i
con: I'd pay $400 more for an engine that doesn't get as good mpg with,
pro: A very minor pro that I'd have more power that I would probably hardly ever use.
I do like the 323 wheels though

The xDrive28i
cons: Paying for stuff I wouldn't or would rarely use.
Knowing I might opt for leatherette even though coral leather wouldn't cost me more to get
Power Seats - rarely, rarely would be used (BMW CA said it's mainly the up/down motor and about $400 to repair)
Garage door remote - Worthless to me, my home is automated so I use a security fob to open/close the garage so the universal remote is useless for me.
Compass in the mirror - Okay, I actually did not like this, I'd possibly put a sticker over it.
Comfort Access - Again, I have to use a security fob to disarm the house, which I have to have out of my pocket to do. Chances are I'd always stick the key in the ignition anyway because I'd know where the fob is at so when I get home I can disarm the house. Could be a pro if walking to the car with stuff in my hands so I can open the door before trying to get the keys out.
Last con, knowing some of these gadgets could break when compared to non-power seats, and it's only a con if repairs in 10 years are over $500 every couple years. I don't mind minor things but I'd be unhappy if I were paying $1k every year to fix something.

Pro's: Dimmable mirrors - I might like this actually.these.

I do have some questions too that I'm less clear on things after talking to the CA.

The CA said he'd never get leatherette. I mentioned kids, dog, keeping the car for 10+ years and he said the leather on the X1 was harder than say a Z4 and would hold up better?

He also said if the X1 had the cold weather it also has heated sideview mirrors but I can't find this anywhere?

He said the sideview mirrors are not dimming ones?

And does the xDrive28i have the DS (Drive Sport) mode?

Anyway, just rambling about my thoughts and hoping this info helps to get me into the right vehicle.

Thanks everyone.

PS. I told the CA I just wish BMW let you get xenon without the premium package and he said sometimes they do change what options are available based on feedback and they could offer what I want next month or never. I think never is more realistic right? It's not like BMW would offer xenon until 2014, without the premium pckage, right? I think the first year of the 3 series you also had to get the premium package before you could get just the xenon lighting package by itself?

Last edited by edx1; 10-13-2012 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0