XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #23
ddark13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 35i

The "model lines" are just BMWs way of ripping off its consumers. They're really infuriating... The fact that one must get one of these largely aesthetic lines in order to qualify to pay more for other options (i.e. brown or red seats) is just their way of inflating their base prices.

One of the reasons I got the X1 over a 3 series is because the "no line" suspension on the X1 is fairly sporty whereas you have to spend $2500 to get a "sport suspension" on a 3 just to avoid the floaty base suspension. I remember when $2500 used to get you more than the ability to pick a different color, sport seats and different yet identically sized rims.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #24
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Model lines serve at least a couple of purposes except ripping people off:
- Buyers who aren't interested in going through a list of fifty choices and pick and choose every one.
- The factory can have dedicated cells for each line, which reduces risks of mistakes.

All in all, BMW gives you a lot of choices. Compare it to e.g. Acura RDX, where you get to pick engine size, color and whether you want THE package or not. That's it.

That said, I think Sport and M-Sport should be cumulative packages. Sport for those who wants the sports styling, and M-Sport for those who want the sports drive. Both if you want both. As it is now, they overlap and thus become mutually exclusive even if they had been packages instead of lines. I'd rather forgo all the bling of M-Sport and get something valuable like an intercooler instead.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #25
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

I'm still of the opinion that there should be no dedicated M Sport line. The full body color package, staggered wheels and sport suspension should all be separate options available on the Sport line.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #26
MrT-Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
Koni FSD dampers seem like they would be a perfect match for X1s.
Koni FSD would be awesome!! I had the FSDs on my Mini and I can't say enough good things about how incredibly awesome they were. Better handling AND better comfort. It made the Mini a different car.

But they don't make them for the X1, & I wouldn't think that the E90 FSDs would fit...? Or would they?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #27
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT-Man View Post
Koni FSD would be awesome!! I had the FSDs on my Mini and I can't say enough good things about how incredibly awesome they were. Better handling AND better comfort. It made the Mini a different car.

But they don't make them for the X1, & I wouldn't think that the E90 FSDs would fit...? Or would they?
There is an E9x xDrive fitment that might work but you'd also need lowering springs like Eibach Pro-kits. It should fit but may need some minor modification by a shop. I believe others have done similar lowering which basically turns the X1 into a hot-hatch.

Retrofitting the M Sport suspension is likely the best option for retaining ground clearance..
Appreciate 0