Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i M version 2013

Fog Lights

DO any of you know how to change out the fog lights ?
Is there an easy way? Maybe im looking in the wrong spot to do it.......
      11-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
Christian.F
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F97

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
No idea, I just went with the lamin-x on my e92... and will probably do the same for the x1
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep

Ok I have given up on these fog lights and going to put a call into my service guy and see if he can hook me up ! I have cut my hand up trying to get to the lights. I found the place in the wheel well but its almost impossible to get too as you don't know what your pulling on....
      11-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper/ BMW X1 i28

Easy, there's two way, thru the engine bay or thru the wheel well cover.

The Left side you can't get to thru the engine bay, you have to turn to get the fog light loose.
Right side can be reach from inside, same thing turn and unplug from harness.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
iwantanx
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAMERBOI View Post
Ok I have given up on these fog lights and going to put a call into my service guy and see if he can hook me up ! I have cut my hand up trying to get to the lights. I found the place in the wheel well but its almost impossible to get too as you don't know what your pulling on....
I also cut my hand this past weekend trying to get at the driver's side fog light through that useless wheel arch opening. Don't bother folks, it's near impossible. I ended up removing 3 screws under the car that fasten the leading edge of the plastic wheel arch moulding piece to another plastic moulding piece forward of the wheel, then squeezing my arm up from below the car into the opening, and I was finally able to reach the bulb. Not easy at all. And I never did try the passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoyuji View Post
Easy, there's two way, thru the engine bay or thru the wheel well cover.

The Left side you can't get to thru the engine bay, you have to turn to get the fog light loose.
Right side can be reach from inside, same thing turn and unplug from harness.
If its so easy then come to Florida and replace my fog lights for me!
      11-21-2012, 12:27 AM   #7
Christian.F
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F97

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantanx View Post
I also cut my hand this past weekend trying to get at the driver's side fog light through that useless wheel arch opening. Don't bother folks, it's near impossible. I ended up removing 3 screws under the car that fasten the leading edge of the plastic wheel arch moulding piece to another plastic moulding piece forward of the wheel, then squeezing my arm up from below the car into the opening, and I was finally able to reach the bulb. Not easy at all. And I never did try the passenger side.

Told you guys just go with Lamin-x not worth getting all cut up!!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
iwantanx
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 xDrive28i

OK, I had another go at this today, and in fact you can access the fog light bulbs from inside the engine compartment, but it's a tight squeeze. It helps if you have skinny arms.

The passenger side is the more readily accessible one, but I did have to temporarily disconnect the headlight wiring harness to provide extra space for my arm. Just stick your right arm down behind the headlight cluster, then reach forward.

Accessing the driver's side fog light required opening the air filter housing and lifting the front portion out of the way. I also disconnected the headlight wiring harness, but this side seemed a bit roomier for my left arm.

You'll have to remove and insert the bulbs by feel alone, as you can't see them at all from above. This is tricky, but not impossible. Just keep track of the fully seated and open positions before removing the old bulb, then reverse the operation on reinstalling the new bulb. I wore rubber gloves to keep from touching the bulbs with my fingers, and to fully protect the bulbs as I manoeuvred them up to the openings. Be sure not to scrape the sides of your bulbs when inserting them into the openings, or you may scratch off the coating (if any) on your bulb.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #9
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

Has anyone found an easier way to change the fog bulbs?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
xyz100
Private
Rep
Drives: Challenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3tallicar View Post
Has anyone found an easier way to change the fog bulbs?
Yes, I am buying a new X1.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
forenking
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E84 SDrive 20i

Quote:
I changed my fog lights bulb by lifting up my car and access thru the factory suggested spot under the fender. Turn the wheels to opposite side and access could be easy. I have changed my bulbs to a pure yellow bulbs which are only HKD 110 dollars. Ran it for over 24 hours and still running well.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #12
Nova Rounder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xdrive 28i M Sport

son-a-$*#!/!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #13
Nova Rounder
Private
Rep

I have replaced just now the driver side... yes it's easy to take out air filter then access the bulb from behind the housing, at this point everything you do is by feel, you wont be able to see what you are doing... I managed to loosen up the bulb and replace it with the yellow Xenesis I just got, please please wear gloves!!! cut up my hand without even knowing it until it's all bloodied. Took me a while to screw lock back the bulb cause you cant see what you are doing and everything has to be done by feel... have to check up front to see if bulb is aligned and put back correctly, finally after 4 times of trying, got it aligned lock screwed right!

and now for the passenger side, did what a site shows in the video how to replace that side.... turn the wheel fully inward (to the left) then go underneath and access the panel cover under the fender by unscrewing 3 bolts that holding it, done that and the cover does not fully give when I try to push it in like the video suggests.... had to put them all back again cause I'll be late for a doctor's appointment..

stay tune cause I have to go back and have to replace the passenger side... dont think it will look good with one yellow and one white fog lamps connected right now... if any of you guys have suggestion on accessing the passenger side better or maybe I'm not completely doing it right please feel free to suggest, help or critic.... thanks

BTW, have 2015 MSport x28

Last edited by Nova Rounder; 01-12-2015 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 01:39 PM   #14
Carlin/14/E84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1 bmw

Quote:
This video might help!

http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/20...lights/foglamp
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 06:07 PM   #15
Nova Rounder
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlin/14/E84 View Post
Thanks Carlin, I used the same video. For the driver side the video works but for the passenger side you can just forget it. I have a 2015 MSport package and I did what the video suggested but I hit the wall when the under the fender cover panel won't give way when you tried to push it in after unscrewing the 3 bolts. Like a member suggestion from this thread, it is easier to access it from under the hood. Just unplug a connector to the passenger side head light and even the wire box (unclip) cause you need every room you can get to access the bulb. I barely reached the bulb but I had it replaced and now the fun part comes, every thing that you need to do to put it back in the housing is by feel. Took a helper to spot it for me to see if I'm twisting locking it right and he guides me on how to align it centered. Took lots of trials but finally got it done! Is it worth it? hell yea!!

having small hands with long reach is a ++++!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 10:42 PM   #16
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 x1 s28i

subscribed for later.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 10:28 AM   #17
Gamb1t
Major
Canada