XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
ionized
Rep
Drives: X1 35i xDrive with M-Sport Pkg

BMW X1 Rear Bike Rack

I have seen this referenced in a number if posts. My dealer ordered one for me to look at and I decided to buy and have it installed. When I get the vehicle back tomorrow I'll take some pictures but here are a few facts:

1. It does require the bumper crossmember to be replaced with one that has 2 tow hook receivers.

2. It does not have the rear lights and electrical. That is Europe only

3. Pretty much looks like the one available for the X5 and Mini Countryman.

More to follow.
      01-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
Randy7fx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionized View Post
I have seen this referenced in a number if posts. My dealer ordered one for me to look at and I decided to buy and have it installed. When I get the vehicle back tomorrow I'll take some pictures but here are a few facts:

1. It does require the bumper crossmember to be replaced with one that has 2 tow hook receivers.

2. It does not have the rear lights and electrical. That is Europe only

3. Pretty much looks like the one available for the X5 and Mini Countryman.

More to follow.
Thanks for the post. I am looking forward to seeing photos of this and hearing how it turns out.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
ionized
Rep

Here are some pics. I haven't used the rack yet, but happy with the build and features.

Some of the things to note:
- 10mm hex head wrench with an extension secures the rack to the bumper in 2 places.
- it is really really solid
- locks on each seat post strap and on one of the attachment points to the vehicle
- rack swings away so you can operate the hatch
- sleds for the front and rear bike tire with straps.

Pics attached. It may get in the 40's on Saturday. If it does I'll grab a photo with a bike on it.
Attached Images

01-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep
Drives: 2014 X Drive 2.8i Sport Line

Wouldn't a roof-top rack be a simpler solution? I purchased the BMW cross bars and used my existing bike and Kayak racks. The car is low profile, so it works quite well even for short people like me!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

What do the post sockets on the bumper look like w/o the rack? Does the bumper cover need to be replaced/painted, or is the original cut for the sockets?
I shudder to ask, but what are we looking at for the bumper mods plus the rack itself?
If the rack is fairly secure to the vehicle, and the bikes can be chained to the rack, at least you could go in for a meal and not worry about losing the bikes.
Keep us posted.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #6
ionized
Rep

Bumper cross member was $200 and the rack $650. I was charged 1 hour of labor. If you are comfortable taking the bumper fascia off it may be a do it yourself thing.

When you remove the rack, which took 7 minutes tonight, you just snap the tow hook covers back on. No visible trace of the rack. .

Expensive, but my alternative was an execuhitch. After you buy the execuhitch, pay for install and a similar hitch rack like the Thule T2 you are I'm same price bracket. Since I don't tow anything I went with this.
      01-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #7
ionized
Rep

Tominavi - as for roof racks, I had them on my Acura and I hated the whistling. Plus my main bike is a Salsa touring, all steel frame. It's kind of a pain to put on a roof. Plus roof racks create issues in parking garages so taking a bike to work to ride after is an issue. To each his own.
      01-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
Kansasstate
Rep
Drives: X1

I have been looking closely at this rack. Has anyone done a self install? Has anyone got a deal on this? I would jump at it if I could install it myself (I am 2 hours from dealer) and could pick it up a bit cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 11:16 AM   #9
beh-eh-meh
Registered
Rep
Drives: '10 - 128i

Thanks for the post! I am waiting on my BMW X1 to arrive and I was planning on installing this rack right away

A few more questions for you:
- When the rack is folded as shown in the first picture, what's the extra length it adds to the car?
- Any ideas if this type of rack can fit a Tri-bike frame? (I have a Cervelo P2)

I ride my bike at least three times a week so I was planning on leaving it on most of the time. I am concerned about the extra length since I have to parallel park in the city every day.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 11:46 AM   #10
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Two other thoughts I'll pass along. I have a bike carrier and a rack for general hauling; either will fit in the trailer hitch socket of a Wrangler Jeep. With the hitch bar was a lighting plug (presumably for whatever 'trailer' you might pull), and I have wired both carriers for running lights and brake lights. Either lights or reflectors or flagging are required in PA. You might inquire of your dealer if any such socket is available.
Second thing; the rack especially isn't visible in the mirrors, and it's entirely possible to forget it's back there; a bad thing if you decide to back up. I have a pendant thingy that I hang from the visor as a reminder that it's installed. If you have the backup camera, it's a non issue.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #11
SimoundD
Registered
Rep

I've been observing the bike rack discussion for awhile and have decided to retro-fit the euro bike rake (w/ electrical) on my US X1.

From looking through the BMW ETK, I appear to need these items.

51122990162 Träger Stossfänger hinten [ETK] 143,06
61119230406 Rep.-Kabelsatz Stossfänger hinten [ETK] 122,35
51122993423 Halter Steckdose ECE [ETK] 22,53

For a total cost of 287,94€ or 390.892 USD

I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #12
salzo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Wink Bicycle INSIDE the X1 - Photo please?

I'm patiently awaiting my X1. It's presently somewhere in the Atlantic bound for Nova Scotia - then New Jersey.

Anyhow, I'm a little obsessed about my bicycle and how well it will or will not fit in the back of the car with backseats folded down. Does anyone have a photograph of a typical road bike in the back of a X1? I've scoured the internet and come up with one example - but it was forks first which doesn't make sense to me. I always load my bikes back wheel first, laying down. I only need room for one bike.

Thanks! I hope SOMEONE can toss a road bike in the back, rear wheel first, and post a photo. My dealer is too far for a quick drive down for a test fit. So please humor this obsessing person who is patiently awaiting the ship!

Tom
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #13
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I don't have a pic, but my 58.5 ETT road bike and my 29er both fit fine in the back of our X1 with the front wheel off, leaving the seatpost alone. Of course this was also true of our 135i and even a BRZ.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #14
salzo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I don't have a pic, but my 58.5 ETT road bike and my 29er both fit fine in the back of our X1 with the front wheel off, leaving the seatpost alone. Of course this was also true of our 135i and even a BRZ.
Thanks. Seat post adjustment is not allowed! I'm a 64cm frame. But I would hope in a hatchback there's no need to mess with a seat post. I used to have a friend with a 3 series sedan who had to do the seat post thing every time. Painful.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #15
Kansasstate
Rep

No problem with a 58cm frame.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #16
salzo
Enlisted Member
Rep

It does fit - 64cm - with wheels on!

Well, now that I have the car... here's proof a BIG road bike fits - barely but it fits! There would be more wiggle room with front wheel off but not necessary.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #17
livestrong191
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: C350

Quote:
Originally Posted by salzo View Post
Well, now that I have the car... here's proof a BIG road bike fits - barely but it fits! There would be more wiggle room with front wheel off but not necessary.
Question?? If you took your front wheel off could you stand the bike upright and turn your handle bars to the side , would that be possible and only dropping the middle 3/4 seat down , leaving seating on either side.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #18
salzo
Enlisted Member
Rep

I very much doubt it as my bike is so darn tall. I can't even do that in my wife's Highlander. But I will try next time I have the car configured in "bike mode". I also ordered the BMW cross bars for the roof. I have roof-top bike racks that will mount to the bars. But for my several group rides during the week, I prefer just tossing the bike in the back.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #19
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

That is a big bike! I think your steerer tube must be nearly as long as the fork legs. Someone should market an 800c wheel, similar to how 29ers and 650b have upped the mtb wheel size for us (slightly) taller folks.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:41 AM   #20
salzo
Enlisted Member
Rep

I do get comments about my steerer tube from time to time. Amazingly, the bike in the photo - my old bike - has gone 15000ish miles with the original head bearings. My newer bike, a Cannondale Six Carbon 3, wore out the bearings around 10000 miles. Maybe the height doesn't come into play, but seems there would be more forces on those bearings.

I'm just thrilled the thing fits. I didn't test fit it at the dealer so I was in suspense until last Saturday
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 12:49 PM   #21
livestrong191
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: C350

Quote:
Originally Posted by salzo View Post
I very much doubt it as my bike is so darn tall. I can't even do that in my wife's Highlander. But I will try next time I have the car configured in "bike mode". I also ordered the BMW cross bars for the roof. I have roof-top bike racks that will mount to the bars. But for my several group rides during the week, I prefer just tossing the bike in the back.
I have a tri-bike and I am shortie so if the bike was upright ,there is a chance for mine to fit
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #22
MistySS
Rep

Can anyone tell me what the BWM rear mounted bike rack weighs?
Appreciate 0