Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
EdgeCrusher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Transmission issues?!?!

Hey guys,

I've been in love with my X1 since the day I bought it only thing I've wished for is that I got the sport line. Recently as I have been driving the car seems to accelerate and then the tranny seems to grab and a big jolt will happen. It reminded be of what happens when a clutch is slipping and then grabs really hard. Have you guys at all experienced this? I know people have complained about the transmission and the shifting but this is boarder line un drivable. the was one time I was driving and the engine just revved to 5K as I was trying to leave a light and when I noticed the car wasnt going any where I hit the brakes because I feared the converter was going to grab at the 5K revs....

Only mod on my car right now is a BMS air intake but that shouldn't effect the tranny at all. It's really making me think that I need to hold off on the mods.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
E39lolz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 x1 xDrive35i, '13 Mustang

I would just make an appointment with the dealer and have them check it out. I haven't experienced your issues in my 6-spd auto.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
EpistemicConfusion
Likes Cars
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

I think you probably know this...but this problem looks like it transcends forum troubleshooting. I'd spend an afternoon trying to make the problem reproducible (open parking lot and a lot of different takeoff methods perhaps?) and then go to the dealer and show them the issue.

I had a lot of stuff wrong with a previous car that would only happen sporadically and taking it to the dealer resulted in "Could not replicate problem" and being sent on my way.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
EdgeCrusher
Private First Class
Rep

I called them up and they are going to look at it next week. Epi, I will have to do that because it's not all the time, it seems to only happen when I am on my way home from work... I have seen some people report issues with the 8-speed in the 2.8 who knows... I'll keep you guys posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeCrusher View Post
Hey guys,

I've been in love with my X1 since the day I bought it only thing I've wished for is that I got the sport line. Recently as I have been driving the car seems to accelerate and then the tranny seems to grab and a big jolt will happen. It reminded be of what happens when a clutch is slipping and then grabs really hard. Have you guys at all experienced this? I know people have complained about the transmission and the shifting but this is boarder line un drivable. the was one time I was driving and the engine just revved to 5K as I was trying to leave a light and when I noticed the car wasnt going any where I hit the brakes because I feared the converter was going to grab at the 5K revs....

Only mod on my car right now is a BMS air intake but that shouldn't effect the tranny at all. It's really making me think that I need to hold off on the mods.

My 2007 RX8 6spd Auto trans did that at about 2 weeks new.

I watched as the dealer checked the fluid, and it needed at least a quart drained.

So about 3 years later it crunched while I was driving pretty hard at track, and barely pulled to get me near the dealer in another town.

My take on the trouble is that maybe the torque converter was not pumping up so it showed over filled.

The bottom line is it was fubar from factory, and I got new one free.

Your description sounds like low on fluid with the whamming gear catching, but whatever they'll get it straight.

Good luck, I got temop codes for trans to see on my scangauge, and then, put a nice 18,800 bto tube and fin Derale cooler on it (RX8).
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
EdgeCrusher
Private First Class
Rep

Turns out as expected the deal did not find anything, not surprised at this at all but the good thing is I have plenty of warranty left. My SA advised that with these cars theres a bit of a delay with taking off and suggested that it's likely attributed to my driving habits... yah and no but this didn't happen on hard runs. I'm prob going to get it coded for the Alpina B3 and go from there. Overall its an awesome car I just wish it were a bit smoother in the tranny department.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
EpistemicConfusion
Likes Cars
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeCrusher View Post
Overall its an awesome car I just wish it were a bit smoother in the tranny department.
Yea, no one likes a tranny with stubble.

Err - I mean with a stumble.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
bmwx3805
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 cruze diesel and 2019 430I

my
tranny is as smooth as butter.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
EdgeCrusher
Private First Class
Rep

Seems to be happening when the car shifts if I hit the gas again it happens. I noticed this at lower speeds especially if I am turning... I'll figure it out.. either way I'm sure the Alpina mode would cure it.
Appreciate 0