01-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #23
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_Calgary View Post
I wonder if it's because they have rushed to release this vehicle and in doing that are beta testing the platform and new technology.

With all of the buy backs/lemon law problems BMW experienced with the HPFP in the N54 in the US, maybe they decided to hold this out of that market for a while.

They can let the early adopters finish the North American testing in Canada, where there is no consumer protection whatsoever.
Um. It's been out in Europe for over a year. It's based on the 3 series (exactly the same wheelbase) that came out in 2005. Interior is like a 3 series.
      01-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #24
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_Calgary View Post
I wonder if it's because they have rushed to release this vehicle and in doing that are beta testing the platform and new technology.

With all of the buy backs/lemon law problems BMW experienced with the HPFP in the N54 in the US, maybe they decided to hold this out of that market for a while.

They can let the early adopters finish the North American testing in Canada, where there is no consumer protection whatsoever.
Nope, been discussed on one of the other threads but a delay in the introduction of the X1 to the USA market is probably largely due to BMW not being able to produce enough of them. Sales in Europe/East/Oz/SA have exceeded expectations and the factory is running at capacity. Production is shifting to Chennai in India this year which has a greater capacity to satisfy new markets. I think secondary to this is that the delay will also allow BMW to launch the M-Sport version and possibly some new engine variants.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #25
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
Um. It's been out in Europe for over a year. It's based on the 3 series (exactly the same wheelbase) that came out in 2005. Interior is like a 3 series.
I agree with the first bit but the interior is more like the 1-series. The 3 series interior is better quality (probably get shot down for this). Saying that, in europe the X1 is about 15% cheaper than the 3, like for like.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #26
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
I agree with the first bit but the interior is more like the 1-series. The 3 series interior is better quality (probably get shot down for this). Saying that, in europe the X1 is about 15% cheaper than the 3, like for like.
You could be right about the interior. I sat in one in Cape Town in November for about two minutes tops and it all seemed very familiar except it was RHD.

Of course, maybe the 1-series would be familiar too, but I haven't sat in one of those.
      01-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #27
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
You could be right about the interior. I sat in one in Cape Town in November for about two minutes tops and it all seemed very familiar except it was RHD.

Of course, maybe the 1-series would be familiar too, but I haven't sat in one of those.
What were you doing in Cape Town? I grew up there

I quite like the interior as its very unfussy. Its also very well laid out and only let down by some of the trim quality. Most notable are the instrument binnacle, centre console and glove compartment cover, all which use some very cheap plastics. Strange as they almost seem out of place amongst the better quality stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #28
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
I agree with the first bit but the interior is more like the 1-series.
The 3 series interior is better quality (probably get shot down for this). Saying that, in europe the X1 is about 15% cheaper than the 3, like for like.[/LIST]
That's good news. I've got a 1er and I love the interior.
      01-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #29
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
What were you doing in Cape Town? I grew up there
We were on a wine tour. Also saw the whales, penguins, ostriches, cheetahs and ellies.

SA is a beautiful country and exceeded our expectations!
      01-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #30
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Quote:
Hey, don't scare the dude

The X1s interior is miles better than the 1-series - which looks pretty horrid now, and not much better in the 1M as well. I am now officially an anti-BMW terrorist
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #31
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Delayed Launch - Earliest September?

Further confirmation of the delayed USA launch. Earliest is now September.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...NEWS/110119909

Interesting that they say that they need a minimum 8000 sales a year. This is very, very low. Wonder if BMW are not sure it will sell in NA?

PS: And another article http://www.carblog.co.za/2011/01/14/...aunch-delayed/

As I said before, you cannot compare the X1 to the Q5 but some comments on those articles do. So, just for the moment, I would like to challenge anyone --- Take the two for a back to back test drive on various road conditions and then answer the following question, which one is the better drive? Go ahead, try it. Then when you are done compare the two on price, like for like .... and then tell me straight that the X1 is not the better car.

Last edited by mario486; 01-17-2011 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 07:23 AM   #32
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 992GTS; '20 Porsche Spyder

Quote:
Further confirmation of the delayed USA launch. Earliest is now September.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...NEWS/110119909

Interesting that they say that they need a minimum 8000 sales a year. This is very, very low. Wonder if BMW are not sure it will sell in NA?

PS: And another article http://www.carblog.co.za/2011/01/14/...aunch-delayed/

As I said before, you cannot compare the X1 to the Q5 but some comments on those articles do. So, just for the moment, I would like to challenge anyone --- Take the two for a back to back test drive on various road conditions and then answer the following question, which one is the better drive? Go ahead, try it. Then when you are done compare the two on price, like for like .... and then tell me straight that the X1 is not the better car.
Send me a r/t ticket to Scotland, pick me up at the airport, and I'll take your test drive challenge.

So, are there any Canadians on this site (Carnut? Duh Car?). What information are you getting about the X1 from the Montreal show?

P.S. Hello Carnut. I know you by another name from Roadfly. I still have my Z4.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 08:04 AM   #33
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
So, are there any Canadians on this site (Carnut? Duh Car?). What information are you getting about the X1 from the Montreal show?
I am a Canadian (cue Molson's commercial). There's a short video now from that Web site that first broke the story. Other than that, I'm waiting to go see it at the Toronto Auto Show next month (Feb 18 on...)
      01-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #34
123d
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
http://www.auto123.com/en/news/car-n...1&artid=126861
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #35
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

And they keep callin it "SUV".
No wonder people expect to see a thing barely smaller than an X5 in reality!

These journalists are a real PITA...
      01-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #36
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

X1 + 4 cyl turbo info here:

http://translate.google.com/translat...emotor&act=url

The huge link is due to the google translation.

This is starting to firm up my belief that regardless of whatever supply problems there may be with bringing this car to the US, they would delayed it to wait for this engine anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #37
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
X1 + 4 cyl turbo. This is starting to firm up my belief that regardless of whatever supply problems there may be with bringing this car to the US, they would delayed it to wait for this engine anyway.
Hmm. I wonder what Canada is getting? It's a 2.8i, but if BMW keeps switching the engine you never know what's under the hood/bonnet.
      01-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #38
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Hmm. I wonder what Canada is getting? It's a 2.8i, but if BMW keeps switching the engine you never know what's under the hood/bonnet.
Can't say I will be too pleased (if it's the N52). Although in the end I will probably hold out for an N55. I will definitely be picking this vehicle up as a daily driver up here.
      01-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #39
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Send me a r/t ticket to Scotland, pick me up at the airport, and I'll take your test drive challenge.

P.S. Hello Carnut. I know you by another name from Roadfly. I still have my Z4.
Have you ever been here? Last American friend we had over was a nervous wreck on our roads within 20min. I ended up doing all his driving for the rest of his stay.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 04:40 AM   #40
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 992GTS; '20 Porsche Spyder

Quote:
Have you ever been here? Last American friend we had over was a nervous wreck on our roads within 20min. I ended up doing all his driving for the rest of his stay.

No, the only place I did extensive driving on the wrong side of the road was Japan. I borrowed a 2-stroke Suzuki Samurai with a manual transmission and drove all over the place for two weeks. I didn't kill myself, but I always flipped on the wipers to indicate a turn and turned on the blinkers to indicate rain. Oh, and roundabouts are quite scary in the clockwise (wrong) direction.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 05:15 AM   #41
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
No, the only place I did extensive driving on the wrong side of the road was Japan. I borrowed a 2-stroke Suzuki Samurai with a manual transmission and drove all over the place for two weeks. I didn't kill myself, but I always flipped on the wipers to indicate a turn and turned on the blinkers to indicate rain. Oh, and roundabouts are quite scary in the clockwise (wrong) direction.
I hate bloody roundabouts, stupid way to control traffic. Between two of my offices here we have 17 of the damn things and its only 5 miles apart. I lived in Africa for while and learnt to drive there. When I returned to Scotland there were two things that were actually worse here than in Africa. One were the roundabouts and the other thing was how narrow the roads were. Oncoming traffic at 60mph with no more than 6 inches between wing mirrors can be hairy Still not used to it. Which is the reason our cars tend to be smaller

Oh, and I have been fortunate enough to travel quite extensively through the USA and Canada on business and pleasure. Did three big road trips there covering maybe 10k miles in total. Two were trans-continental hence the miles. The one thing that always amazes me is how good your roads are, and wide.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #42
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Oh, and I have been fortunate enough to travel quite extensively through the USA and Canada on business and pleasure. Did three big road trips there covering maybe 10k miles in total. Two were trans-continental hence the miles. The one thing that always amazes me is how good your roads are, and wide.
Yes, we have wider lanes, but also have more potholes in our cities.

England Scotland are okay to drive in, even the roundabouts, but it's the Irish roads that are the worst. Both narrow and a high speed limit. I love how each county lists the number of fatalities.
      01-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #43
nockenpaul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

An X1 35i in US spec. was spotted in Germany. So in regard of the rumors about the 35i, I think this engine will make it to the US.

Source: http://www.motor-talk.de/bilder/x1-3...203730713.html
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #44
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockenpaul View Post
An X1 35i in US spec. was spotted in Germany. So in regard of the rumors about the 35i, I think this engine will make it to the US.

Source: http://www.motor-talk.de/bilder/x1-3...203730713.html
Lets hope the 35i engine makes it here. SUV+4cyl engine= dont mix well here at State side with consumers.
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0