Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

Unhappy Timing chain repair... again

Almost had my X1 18d Sdrive for 3 years (68k miles on the clock) and the timing chain with associated parts is being repaired again!

This will be the 3rd time with what BMW say are more updated parts. It's the same symptoms every time... shhh, shhh, shhh ...noise, or a long.... shhhhhh ...as you accelerate. There's also that classic rattling metal belt noise at idle.

Can't believe BMW have not solved this issue, and can't believe more owners have not reported it.

This time it's under the extended warranty who have asked for so much information it's unreal. Sound clips of the issue, copies of all the service history, and 2 engineer opinions. I mean come on... the cars history is all on a computer somewhere already.

Just hope this repair lasts, as once the warranty is up... that's it.

One good thing to come out of this though. My loan car for a couple weeks is an MY13 520d GT Msport with all the toys! I am so enjoying the smoothness, the iDrive, the cameras, the seats, the panoramic roof, the auto tailgate, etc etc etc.

Just a shame it's 5m long and absolutely huge! Can't get it in my companies multistory car park, so have to use a car park for 'big' cars!

Not going to enjoy giving this back.

J.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
Billy Porter
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2.0d X-drive

This appears to be a known problem and discussed at great detail on the 1 series forum.

I've got a diesel as well as it was the only engine option on a used 60 plate X1 ( I think they now do 4 pot petrols as well)

Hope you get it sorted
Appreciate 0