XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
NormB
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Service (shop) manuals for the X1

As a first time BMW owner I came to learn that Planet BMW was some distance from Earth when going through the experience of picking ‘options’ for my X1. By the end of the process I was glad that BMW was considerate enough to include the steering wheel as a standard feature.

But I really had no idea that Planet BMW was in fact in another galaxy. I came to this realization when reading through the owner’s manual. Back on Earth owner’s manuals include such comforting things as fluid volumes, the location of drains and filler caps, and especially, a full schedule of required maintenance up to about 150,000 km. My X1 manual doesn’t even identify the oil filter cap or drain plug, let alone any of the rest.

Earthlings can usually compensate by cajoling their dealer’s parts folk to order them service (repair) manuals, admittedly typically for a ghastly sum. I have had these for both my previous cars. Are these denied to citizens of BMWland?

I am one of those folk who like to do things for themselves. Perhaps when it comes to cars I am a little extreme, having only had others do perhaps six repairs, no maintenance and one oil change during my whole (long) time of car ownership.

I’d like to continue this practice with the X1, naturally allowing BMW to do their ‘free’ maintenance for the first four years. But I have worked the Internet pretty hard and have not found a place to get service manuals for the X1. I have not even found a fully detailed service schedule. I have not yet contacted the BMW parts department locally, but at this point am assuming that if I have not seen the service manuals on offer on the Internet they are probably not on offer at my dealer either.

Help! I have a 2014 XDrive 28i
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Not sure if it's out for the X1 yet, but the Bentley service manuals are excellent for BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
NormB
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Not sure if it's out for the X1 yet, but the Bentley service manuals are excellent for BMW's.
Sadly, their manuals seem quite out of date. There appears to be nothing for the X1/e84/n20.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Lynxx
Rep
Drives: Nissan 300ZX now, X1 soon

Check to see if Haynes and Chilton’s provide X1 manuals. Because the X1 is a new model (at least in the U.S.), they may not be available yet.

Ask the parts person at a dealership if a 201x BMW X1 Service Manual is available on a CD-ROM if it’s not available in print.

I was able to order Nissan's 300ZX Service Manual but it was a long time ago. It’s invaluable if you’re a DIYer. The three manuals that I have: owner’s, Service, and Haynes complement each other. You need all three.

I think auto makers are getting away from providing print versions of service manuals. I know with VW, you have to purchase an on-line subscription to access the manuals and it’s expensive.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

You can download the Service & Warranty booklet from http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...antyBooks.aspx
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
NormB
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
You can download the Service & Warranty booklet from http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...antyBooks.aspx
Thanks. I have one of these already. Unfortunately it is really vague on scheduled maintenance, especially re: precautionary replacement of things, beyond the mainstream stuff like oil and filter changes.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #7
NormB
Rep

It is now almost six months since I started this thread and I still can't find a shop manual for the X1. Has anyone out there been more successful?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 02:14 PM   #8
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

I have found it best to get an electronic copy and print out what you need, when you need it. I have an old laptop in the garage, just for shop related work, etc. on it i can access all sorts of info, youtube video that show techniques and short cuts, etc.

Figure out what you need for all your maintenance and then go to

https://www.bmwtis.com/

This is BMW's on line info for all that you need...You can get access for 24 hours for $30... pretty reasonable and completely up to date...Should be able to download what you need and save it as a pdf. Alternate for parts, (and also free) is realoem.com... put your last 7 of your VIN in and every part and corresponding number for your specific vehicle is listed... It takes some getting used to to figure out how BMW classifies some things but I use the graphics options that show pictures.

I think the last book style service manual i've used was at least 5 or 6 years ago. Doubtful that any hard copy books will be coming out anytime soon as most of what BMW publishes is copywrited and cars these days have gotten a bit complicated and updated each year to make such a broad manual.

You will find that BMW is not that unlike many EU car companies when it comes to service related stuff... Most have gone to cloud or on line based documents

Last edited by cwickberg; 01-01-2014 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 10:53 AM   #9
NormB
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
I have found it best to get an electronic copy and print out what you need, when you need it. I have an old laptop in the garage, just for shop related work, etc. on it i can access all sorts of info, youtube video that show techniques and short cuts, etc.

This is BMW's on line info for all that you need...You can get access for 24 hours for $30... pretty reasonable and completely up to date...Should be able to download what you need and save it as a pdf.
That's really helpful. Can you confirm that one can download from that site as .pdf files that one can then keep? If so, the $30 24 hour charge would be a bargain.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I haven't used the on line version. I've used the older TIS version that was a download and that version allowed you to print documents...I have software that emulates printers to convert to pdf...

i do not know if the BMW program will convert print files to pdf.

Perhaps for $30 you could try it out and let us know!

As an alternate, there is always the prt scr or window screen capture that you can always use to capture screens
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 03:05 AM   #11
Dilbert2402
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post

This is BMW's on line info for all that you need...You can get access for 24 hours for $30... pretty reasonable and completely up to date...Should be able to download what you need and save it as a pdf. Alternate for parts, (and also free) is realoem.com... put your last 7 of your VIN in and every part and corresponding number for your specific vehicle is listed... It takes some getting used to to figure out how BMW classifies some things but I use the graphics options that show pictures.

I think the last book style service manual i've used was at least 5 or 6 years ago. Doubtful that any hard copy books will be coming out anytime soon as most of what BMW publishes is copywrited and cars these days have gotten a bit complicated and updated each year to make such a broad manual.

You will find that BMW is not that unlike many EU car companies when it comes to service related stuff... Most have gone to cloud or on line based documents
Just wondering if full wiring diagrams are included in the information via this subscription service? That more than anything else would be worth $30. Even if it's not possible to convert the pages to a pdf format any program like Greenshot can capture sections, regions or complete windows and print them out
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #12
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbert2402 View Post
Just wondering if full wiring diagrams are included in the information via this subscription service? That more than anything else would be worth $30. Even if it's not possible to convert the pages to a pdf format any program like Greenshot can capture sections, regions or complete windows and print them out
If you go to the website, there is a section on Repair Manuals, wiring diagrams and technical specifications.I would presume you could get what you need there.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #13
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbert2402 View Post
http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/us/index.htm

Here is a website that may be of some help...
It does not have the E84 yet, but does have the E9X and the 1 series that much of the X1 is based on...and it is free.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #14
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Bumping this thread.

Has Anyone found a Service Manual for the X1?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 07:03 PM   #15
kringer2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 28i xdrive

can i post this?

https ://www . newtis . info
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 07:19 AM   #16
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kringer2 View Post
can i post this?

https ://www . newtis . info

Thanks SO MUCH!

It's a little tough to navigate, but that's exactly what I was looking for. The instructions for headlight removal are a bit lack luster for the E84 though.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #17
kringer2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 28i xdrive

No problem. It is cumbersome but has a lot of good info.
Appreciate 0