mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39hijinks View Post
Sighted in Agoura Hills, CA on Friday.

Again a twin tail pipe X1, almost certainly a 3.0l petrol six cylinder. Confirms that I think the launch vehicle will be a Auto 2.8i XDrive. BMW USA has steadfastly tried to keep their vehicles in NA at the upper end of performance and price. Different in Europe where we have a wide range of smaller (and a lot cheaper) engines.

Expecting BMW to launch the X1 in NA with a frugal diesel engine was perhaps expecting to much.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Itgb
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91

That looks exactly like the one I saw a few months back...

First Sighting(no pic)

Did you get a chance to see the designation on the side? The one I saw was Xdrive 35i
      01-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Expecting BMW to launch the X1 in NA with a frugal diesel engine was perhaps expecting to much.
I think it's really up to the American customer to demand diesels. Market and goverment heads seem to be pushing hybrids though, without laying down the complete facts, and this leaves the customer uninformed.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 992GTS; '20 Porsche Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
I think it's really up to the American customer to demand diesels. Market and goverment heads seem to be pushing hybrids though, without laying down the complete facts, and this leaves the customer uninformed.
Gas prices are up to $3.15/gal for regular and people are starting to twitch. When it gets to $3.50, people will start looking at smaller cars and even talking about diesels. That will last for a few months, prices will fall, and we'll be back to Hummers and Escalades again.

Maybe BMW is trying to time the launch of the X1 with $4.00 gas! That would be brilliant marketing indeed!

I really think BMW will launch with the turbo. That way, all the magazines will rave about the car and sales will take off. If they launch with a lesser engine and the magazines give it a luke warm review, the damage will be done and they will have shot themselves in the foot. There's only one chance to make a first impression. The American car magazines love power.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
Gas prices are up to $3.15/gal for regular and people are starting to twitch. When it gets to $3.50, people will start looking at smaller cars and even talking about diesels. That will last for a few months, prices will fall, and we'll be back to Hummers and Escalades again.

Maybe BMW is trying to time the launch of the X1 with $4.00 gas! That would be brilliant marketing indeed!

I really think BMW will launch with the turbo. That way, all the magazines will rave about the car and sales will take off. If they launch with a lesser engine and the magazines give it a luke warm review, the damage will be done and they will have shot themselves in the foot. There's only one chance to make a first impression. The American car magazines love power.
Mmmm if Itgb says he saw a 3.5i it may actually be the launch vehicle or be introduced shortly thereafter. Seems BMW is not interested in the bottom end of the market in the USA because that X1 is going to be very expensive. If it is a 3.5i I would say a launch price of around $45 000 yikes. Could easily go to $55k with options.

I agree with other posts, lobby BMW to bring in the 2.0d engines, they are really, really good. And 46mpg easily on the open road.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0