XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Did well in mega traffic

We've escaped the Great White North for a couple weeks and have taken the X1 south. Today we slogged some serious traffic in the Tampa area; usual Gulf Coast combination of codgers, ordinary folks, and guys driving like it's the Mille Milla.
The Beemer did well; good acceleration, great brakes and mirrors (the memory mirrors don't lie to you), unflappable handling, great visibility. It will surely dance with ya' if you ask, and it's not tiresome to drive.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

safe travels player...
Appreciate 2
      03-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
We've escaped the Great White North for a couple weeks and have taken the X1 south. Today we slogged some serious traffic in the Tampa area; usual Gulf Coast combination of codgers, ordinary folks, and guys driving like it's the Mille Milla.
The Beemer did well; good acceleration, great brakes and mirrors (the memory mirrors don't lie to you), unflappable handling, great visibility. It will surely dance with ya' if you ask, and it's not tiresome to drive.
Moon
Welcome to Florida! in spite of its reputation... the weather makes it all worth while...

I travel back PA at least once a month and the last great snowstorm a couple of weeks ago got snowed in in the philly area...not happy with 6 degrees and 10" of snow...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

...which is 'perzactly why we are here. I love Pennyslvania, its mountains and rivers, and its remarkably empty parts. I don't even mind a little winter, but this one has been enough to wear me out. It reminds me too much of the late 'fifties winters we endured when I was a kid.

Back to the car; it thus far has served well on our country roads around home, out on the Interstate, and in eight lanes of traffic. Money well spent on a car.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
So you were in Canada? That's the Great White North.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #6
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

Twix, I use the expression rather generically. What's more, Westsylvania has certainly been white enough this winter to qualify. Waaaaaaay too much quality time with my snowblower.
I'm mighty happy to be away from it, at least for awhile.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 11:31 PM   #7
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Yup, the X1 is a wonderful city/suburban vehicle. I drive it into NYC all the time. It's a nice small compact size, and with the good handling and good acceleration it's easy to zip in and out of traffic, and yet the ride quality is smooth over the terrible broken pavement on the New York highways (mine is the base with the 17" wheels).
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

Eric, you've hit a nail on the head there. Traditionally I've driven smaller cars because of their tidier size and handling, but for going distance, not enough storage and not enough comfort can be a problem. The X1 manages well on both ends of the equation, and I am pleased.
Down the road, decisions will have to be made. Our practice has been a (somewhat) bigger car for trips and a smaller one for intown hops. The Bimmer replaced a Ford Focus that we gave to our daughter; the 'larger' car is an A4 Avant. We'll have to do some further rearranging.
Moon
Appreciate 0