XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
pillboxhat
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

I'm buying a used BMW x1. I need help & opinion

I have a deal in place for a used 2013 BMW x1. It's got 18K. Being sold through a BMW dealer but not CPO. It has Tech, Premium, Cold weather packages. It's in great shape.Only real defect is it's missing plastic cell phone adapter thing in center armrest. They are selling it for $32,500. Is this a good deal? Is 18K kind of a lot for this car and year in terms of wear and potential repairs?

For about 2K more I could get a new one with premium & cold weather. So like an extra 30 bucks a month.

I don't really need the navi in the tech pkg but I want the enhanced streaming bt. (can't believe that it's packaged with tech btw) Thinking about just buying a $30 BT audio adapter and going new. But the screen and stuff is ..kinda cool.

As you can see I'm kind of unsure. Partly a need/wants thing. But I also want to make sure I'm getting the best value.

I was all set to make a deal and then I started reading about used bmws and costly repairs for BMW and "dump them after 100K" etc...And it's practically scaring me into a CRV Which I could possibly really like...But man, driving the BMW was the most fun I had driving in a long time.

About me. I have a 1st grader, two dogs, and I drive about 30K/year. Some of the drives are 3-4 hour "commutes" to NYC. I wanna keep this car for 4-5 years.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and help in making up my mind.

Last edited by pillboxhat; 12-09-2013 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: let out word "hour"
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillboxhat View Post
I have a deal in place for a used 2013 BMW x1. It's got 18K. Being sold through a BMW dealer but not CPO. It has Tech, Premium, Cold weather packages. It's in great shape.Only real defect is it's missing plastic cell phone adapter thing in center armrest. They are selling it for $32,500. Is this a good deal? Is 18K kind of a lot for this car and year in terms of wear and potential repairs?

For about 2K more I could get a new one with premium & cold weather. So like an extra 30 bucks a month.

I don't really need the navi in the tech pkg but I want the enhanced streaming bt. (can't believe that it's packaged with tech btw) Thinking about just buying a $30 BT audio adapter and going new. But the screen and stuff is ..kinda cool.

As you can see I'm kind of unsure. Partly a need/wants thing. But I also want to
make sure I'm getting the best value.

I was all set to make a deal and then I started reading about used bmws and costly repairs for BMW and "dump them after 100K" etc...And it's practically scaring me into a CRV Which I could possibly really like...But man, driving the BMW was the most fun I had driving in a long time.

About me. I have a 1st grader, two dogs, and I drive about 30K/year. Some of the drives are 3-4 "commutes" to NYC. I wanna keep this car for 4-5 years.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and help in making up my mind.
If it has 18,000 you are probably almost due for new tires so figure close to $1,500 for run flats with an alignment so your difference is almost gone already.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

For $2k, get what you want, enjoy the warranty, etc. for what it's worth, if it's not an M Sport, the tires will last to 40k+ miles and are about $900 installed with new TPMS sensors.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

I just got a new one WITHOUT the premium package for $33k. Mine has the technology and lighting packages though, so if you substitute the premium package for the technology package, it adds a little more than $1k I believe.

I was in the same situation as you, however I did NOT consider buying used. It was either a pretty basic X1 or else a fully loaded Honda CRV, Mazda CX5 or Subaru XV Crosstrek. I decided that with the added driving pleasure I could live without some of the extra features, so I went with the X1.

So far I'm not really missing the premium package too much. Power seats would be nice, but the manual controls are fine and since I don't share the car with anyone, it's not a big deal. I had a sunroof on my last car and barely ever used it, so don't need that. And if you were in my car and I did not tell you the seats were leatherette, you would think they are leather. Upon close examination you can tell, but only then. The only feature I really will miss is the auto dimming mirrors. Too bad they don't offer those as a stand-alone package for a few hundred dollars.

I did consider the cold weather package, but decided to use the last of my budget on the lighting package as everyone in this forum said it was a "must have" package. I agree that if not for actual function, it really does add a lot to the looks of the car with the LED daytime running light "rings".
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
For $2k, get what you want, enjoy the warranty, etc. for what it's worth, if it's not an M Sport, the tires will last to 40k+ miles and are about $900 installed with new TPMS sensors.
40k miles on a set of tires? I've 15 BMW's of all types with run flats and non run flat and 22-24k is the best ever and 18-20 on run flats. My Mini Clubman S went through front tires in 16K. Never heard of 40K on a BMW ever including all season tires.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
pillboxhat
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

Def helpful info so far.

Eric- I'm totally weighing same things. Yeah..That premium package has the auto dim side mirrors which, once you have them you never want to go without. Huge.
Sunroof makes car feel so BIG. Kinda want that. Power seats key because the main reason I am getting out of my current almost new car is seat comfort. I'm right now totally on the fence. Went out for giggles and drove the CRV tonight. Driving dynamics not even close of course...But there was something really pleasing about the cabin. Roomy..Like it made me smile. It wasn't bad at all. Comfortable in a diff way than BMW. Ahh. I curse the day I first drove a German car because all other rides pale in comparison. After reading posts I think I will go new.And now..after reading your post. Kinda want the lighting package. But I actually had a car with HID lights and it was awful. They always seemed aimed too low, tried adjusting, and the sharp line of either total darkness or blinding light was scary dangerous on backroads of new england. Similar with X1?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Def helpful info so far.

Eric- I'm totally weighing same things. Yeah..That premium package has the auto dim side mirrors which, once you have them you never want to go without. Huge.
Sunroof makes car feel so BIG. Kinda want that. Power seats key because the main reason I am getting out of my current almost new car is seat comfort. I'm right now totally on the fence. Went out for giggles and drove the CRV tonight. Driving dynamics not even close of course...But there was something really pleasing about the cabin. Roomy..Like it made me smile. It wasn't bad at all. Comfortable in a diff way than BMW. Ahh. I curse the day I first drove a German car because all other rides pale in comparison. After reading posts I think I will go new.And now..after reading your post. Kinda want the lighting package. But I actually had a car with HID lights and it was awful. They always seemed aimed too low, tried adjusting, and the sharp line of either total darkness or blinding light was scary dangerous on backroads of new england. Similar with X1?
Similar with the xenon HID lights? A little low, yes.

But, I created a thread on here regarding how to raise the level of the lights. Very simple. Will take 5 minutes at max.

Search for my thread titled, "How to Adjust Xenon Level" or something.

Or go to my profile and find, "All threads created by squishy" and you can find it that way.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
40k miles on a set of tires? I've 15 BMW's of all types with run flats and non run flat and 22-24k is the best ever and 18-20 on run flats. My Mini Clubman S went through front tires in 16K. Never heard of 40K on a BMW ever including all season tires.
The Pirelli P7 A/S are high wearing, and not being staggered, they can be rotated, which helps the typical rear camber wear of BMW's. AWD and the automatic helps took.

I did manage 30k on a set of PS2's on my old M Coupe once, and our 135i was making a set of Michelin A/S's last a shockingly long time, given how fast it ate the stock, horrible Bridgestone RFT's.

Again, for non A/S tires, throw all of this out the window, but for a base or X-Line car, I wouldn't be surprised to see tires last upwards of 40k miles. I'll be surprised if we replace tires on our 3 year lease.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Quote:
Def helpful info so far.

I've only had the car a few days and I haven't noticed the issue with low HID lights. I live in Central NJ in a small town, and there are lots of roads around here that have no street lights, so the HIDs are very helpful and very bright.

Regarding the CRV, I agree that car is very nice. I really liked the leather seats and the way it has those command chair armrests and a huge center console. I'm a big tech person however, and the honda nav/infotainment system looked very dated. That's one of the reasons I chose the X1, I love the iDrive system with its huge screen.

As for driving dynamics, go drive the Mazda CX5. It's not as good as the X1, but pretty close. It handles just as well, but acceleration is a bit less (although significantly better than the CRV). It's also a very comfortable car and comes with lots of options. Again, I didn't like the dated infotainment system with a very small screen. But if you were planning to get the X1 without the iDrive, then that's not an issue. I think you'll still like the X1 better, but may be worth your time to at least look at the CX5 as it is a few thousand dollars cheaper. Make sure to test drive it with the larger engine.
Appreciate 0