11-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #23
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm83 View Post
just got mine in the shop this morning.. they wouldnt give me a loaner cuz they said it was an "express" service and only full day services gets a loaner.. (bmw toronto)

not so express as far as i can tell.
They are correct. Both them and Parkview have some techs standing by to do brake jobs and oil changes (ie. no appt needed). If you had the recall programming done, then you should get a loaner as it takes three hours.
      11-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #24
X1 white pearl
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 28I xdrive 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
There's is no recall but I gather they are aware of an issue. If your brakes don't squeak, then don't worry about it.
Unfortunately they do squeak!!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #25
mrm83
Private
Rep
Drives: x1

well apparently they took more than a day (cuz they had to order the parts) =\

i just got my car back today and they also replaced my pads.

it was likely the same issue as duh.

breaks are perfect now =)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #26
BeemerBoy48
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328xi Exec Edition Space grey

During my dealer visit yesterday (see my "Vibration Anyone" post), I talked to the technician during our test drive and brought up the squeaking brakes issue. He told me that BMW Canada will authorise replacing pads and rotors to solve the problem - but are not doing a recall.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #27
mrm83
Private
Rep
Drives: x1

well, im starting to hear squeaks again (sometimes)..

they only replaced 1 pad last time i went.. going back again in 1 week..

what a waste of my time.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 07:48 AM   #28
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper/ BMW X1 i28

during my recall visit on the transmission re-programming and turbo adjustment, they refuse to do the brake pad squeak change because BMW canada is aware of this situation and will provide solution within a month (As promised) so they will call me once this solution is available.

This squeaking is becoming quite significant.... as I have an Car black box, i recorded the entire maintenance event at BMW. I was laughing so loud that I could hear the squeaking when the mechanic is driving around the dealer lot....
Inside and outside the garage....
It's quite unbearable.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #29
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoyuji View Post
during my recall visit on the transmission re-programming and turbo adjustment, they refuse to do the brake pad squeak change because BMW canada is aware of this situation and will provide solution within a month (As promised) so they will call me once this solution is available.

This squeaking is becoming quite significant.... as I have an Car black box, i recorded the entire maintenance event at BMW. I was laughing so loud that I could hear the squeaking when the mechanic is driving around the dealer lot....
Inside and outside the garage....
It's quite unbearable.
Strange, because the solution is to change the pads and rotors......
      11-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #30
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Strange, because the solution is to change the pads and rotors......
But I wonder even if you change the pad, the squeaking noise will come back in 3-4k km. I guess they are replacing the same pad? If so, the squeaking should come back.
Probably there were too many of this problem found on the X1, they just simply stop doing the pad change...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #31
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Probably there were too many of this problem found on the X1, they just simply stop doing the pad change...
...or have run out of the new parts.

You need to become friends with your service manager to get the real scoop on these things.
      11-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #32
Phil777
Phil
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 550i GT, 2012 X1 28i

Quote:

You need to become friends with your service manager to get the real scoop on these things.
Ours have started squeaking again too - quite badly. Funny, because the squeaking had disappeared completely for about 3,000 km (it wasn't serviced), but I'm going to have to take it in to Parkview - the squeaking is really irritating. I'll have the current programming recall issue fixed at the same time...along with the light in the cargo area and.... But even withh all this, I still enjoy driving it.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 07:40 AM   #33
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil777 View Post
Quote:

Ours have started squeaking again too - quite badly. Funny, because the squeaking had disappeared completely for about 3,000 km (it wasn't serviced), but I'm going to have to take it in to Parkview - the squeaking is really irritating. I'll have the current programming recall issue fixed at the same time...along with the light in the cargo area and.... But even withh all this, I still enjoy driving it.
But that kinda driving nuts if the squeaking happen at downtown when lots of people are lookjng at you as of you are driving a 67 cadilac
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 08:55 AM   #34
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
But that kinda driving nuts if the squeaking happen at downtown when lots of people are lookjng at you as of you are driving a 67 cadilac
Exactly. The same thing with my wife's car every morning when she backed out of the driveway. Very noisy and very cheap sounding.
      11-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #35
iwantanx
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 xDrive28i

My brake squeaking started up again this week as well. I correlate it to the occurrence of damp weather, as we've had cooler rainy days here lately. Could there be a layer of rust forming on the rotors leading to the squeaking?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #36
X1 white pearl
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Just came back home with a loaner, they are doing the 2 recalls but will not touch my very irritating squeaking brakes!!!

They said that they acknowledge the fact that they squeak but are testing another one that has the problem and they will call me when they have a solution. I will check tomorrow and see when i pick it up if BMW Canada is working on a solution with Germany??

Keep you guys posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #37
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1 white pearl View Post
Just came back home with a loaner, they are doing the 2 recalls but will not touch my very irritating squeaking brakes!!!

They said that they acknowledge the fact that they squeak but are testing another one that has the problem and they will call me when they have a solution. I will check tomorrow and see when i pick it up if BMW Canada is working on a solution with Germany??

Keep you guys posted.
That really suck's
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 10:23 AM   #38
Bismarck4
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Grand Tourismo

Breaks

Hi,

My wife just took hers in for this issue and the 2 recalls today. Turns out there was an issue with the break pads installed on many of the X1's. The pads have metal filings in them and they are the root of the noise. Replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #39
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck4 View Post
Hi,

Turns out there was an issue with the break pads installed on many of the X1's. The pads have metal filings in them and they are the root of the noise.
That's what they told me too a coupla weeks ago. Wasn't sure if that was correct, but I suppose it is now.
      11-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #40
X1 white pearl
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck4 View Post
Hi,

My wife just took hers in for this issue and the 2 recalls today. Turns out there was an issue with the break pads installed on many of the X1's. The pads have metal filings in them and they are the root of the noise. Replaced under warranty.
Thats interesting!!! Just got my car back from the service and they did something with my brakes, apparently they like put a few indents in them and cleaned them also, so far no squeaking. We will see in a couple of weeks or maybe days!!!! They told me that thats what BMW Canada told them to do???
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #41
dr.rock
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 xDrive 28i

Our X1 is squealing like a pig as well, very frustrating. Spoke with a service guy at BMW Gallery in Calgary and he told me to find a quite road, get up to about 120 kph, then brake hard down to 60 kph, repeat for 8-10 km or so. I did it and it has resolved the squeals for now. Not really a satisfactory solution in my opinion, but so far it has worked. Car is going in for scheduled maintenance next week and I plan on taking them to task on the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #42
ifocus
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Sport Package

I am experiencing the same issue, brakes squeaking as well. It seems to happen only when temperature is below 5 celsius or so. A few hard stop does scare the squeaky guy away but it is coming back all the time the next morning.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #43
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Keep complaining to your dealers everyone. It's the only way we're going to gets permanent fix.
      12-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #44
BMW Novice
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

My brakes continue to squeak, even after the pads had been replaced in early November. Happens when cold and is noisy for about first couple of kilometres. My neighbours have complained, especially if i leave early, excruciating noise!
Appreciate 0