XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
hal1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 WRX

Some newbie buying help/opinions

I'm coming from a 2013 WRX but it's time to grow up – and the interior sucks. It's a 2 trick pony. - 0-60 in under 4.7 seconds (slightly modded) with the right driver, and tenacious road grip.

.The 35i is above my price range, but the dealer by me has the 2013 & 2014 s28i with under 20K miles in the $30k to $35k range.

I'm starting to read up all about them, but was hoping for a quick-ie run down on the 2013-2014 X1

1 What appreciable differences in models and model years should I be aware of?
2 We've got great roads in Phoenix with little rain. Is there any real advantage to the AWD x28i for me?
3 Maintenance problems/costs? - I'm guessing fairly high but it's under warranty for a few years anyway.
4 Any options that I really would/should have? I'm pretty basic and never needed Nav. And such.
5 What do you think I should cross shop in this price range? The Lexus RX 350 is a bit bigger than I want, I really like the X1 size. I like the Infinity EX35 also, but I'll admit it, there's a certain image that's nice to have and be seen in even this lower priced BMW.
6 What don't you like about it, that may or may not make it easy to live with for 6 years?
7 General X1 Build quality.
8 (My biggest question) I'm going to see a '13 M-Sport with the premium package, lighting package, 19 “ wheels, heated seats, and Light Finewood Trim, 19,000 miles for $33,200. Seems kind of low for a $42K+ car so I don't know what's wrong with it. It is a CPO from a BMW dealership. What are the major thinkg I can easily look at as far as known problems for this car when i go see it?

I know I'm going to miss driving a stick, really.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
punchyninja
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 x28i 2014

I'd say most people seem the think the lighting package is well worth the price, and is often skipped and regretted. I would have skipped it, and am glad the car just happened to have it.

The 2013 and 2014 are almost identical. I think the 14 allows for the auto start stop system to "keep" in the off position instead of having to push the button. I might be wrong on this.

if you can find a used 2013 I'd go for it, you can get more car for a lot less. the only used 13s I could find in my area were the 35i and I wanted a 28.

I think the sunroof really makes the cabin feel a lot larger than it is, particularly for those in the backseats.

The S has electric steering, the Xdrives have hydraulic. You might want to test drive both and see if you notice the difference. Also, servotronic steering, some love it, some hate it. again, a test drive to see how it feels to you.

build quality is very good, but not as good as the next range of BMWs (another 10k gets more soft touch materials, and newer tech like lane departure, blind sport monitoring, adaptive cruise control, etc)

msport rides a little rougher (and has 18 wheels instead of the 17s, which adds to this) but also handles better. It also comes with the paddle shifters which are really nice.

I love the sports seats and would strongly recommended them. They had much better bolster support and reminded me of the WRX seats more than any other car I test drove.

The xdrive version will give you better weight balance (almost perfect 50/50 on the 28i) and it will do some dynamic stuff to help in cornering. The sdrive I hear feels great though so your not missing that much if your not going to drive in the snow.

The backup camera is nice, but not something I think is needed on this car. Lot of lower priced cars have more tech features but less of a feeling of quality.

It's way smaller than a WRX (at least for me as I had a 2002) even though it doesn't look that much smaller. I lost the room for a fullsize spare, larger glove box, enough storage for jumper cables under the floor, larger center console storage, and larger trunk.

What I gained, quieter ride, better handling, and much nicer over all drive experience, less turbo lag.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
hal1
United_States
Rep

Thanks. I drove a 2014 a base sdrive today. Have to say, was just a little underwhelmed. Yes, it seemed solid, but I guess I was expecting something more. I was probably comparing there ride/quietness to my sisters RX350 and thought that this premium nameplate would be the same, but I guess there's only so much BMW can do with a $30K car.

The interior, while simply laid out without a lot of clutter, just seemed too austere. It was a nice change to have all the panes a soft touch compared to my WRX which is hard plastic everywhere - dash/panels/console.

It was also hard to handle the decrease in power from what I'm used to. If I had never owned my 2005 WRX or my 2013 WRX I probably would have been fine. Driving home from the dealer I payed more attention to my car and realized that it's ride and comfort wasn't all that terrible after all.

Don't get me wrong. If I seen this before I got my WRX It would have been a hard choice, but plunking down an additional $9K (price + fees) over the trade in of my WRX just wasn't justified at this time.m If it was at least a little bigger than my Rex I could see looking in to it more

The dealer was going to get me a base with the premium package for $33,405 which included the destination/freight charge. From what I've seen that's about $3,400 off MSRP and about $600 under invoice.

Maybe I should still look that the unit tomorrow that I listed in my original post? - a '13 M-Sport with the premium package, lighting package, 19 “ wheels, heated seats, and Light Finewood Trim, 19,000 miles for $33,200. Maybe it'll look feel different with all that stuff?

I still missed being able to slip it in to neutral and be speed/rpm ready to pull like crazy out of a turn. Those of you who drive a stick know what it's like to have the engine ready to go at any moment.

Oh, I paid $26,700 before ttl for my WRX 11 months ago, and the dealer was going to offer me $25,000 for it, and in AZ you don't have to pay tax on the trade in value of the deal I say that's pretty darn little depreciation in a year.

Last edited by hal1; 03-15-2014 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 11:12 PM   #4
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1 View Post
I'm coming from a 2013 WRX but it's time to grow up – and the interior sucks. It's a 2 trick pony. - 0-60 in under 4.7 seconds (slightly modded) with the right driver, and tenacious road grip.

.The 35i is above my price range, but the dealer by me has the 2013 & 2014 s28i with under 20K miles in the $30k to $35k range.

I'm starting to read up all about them, but was hoping for a quick-ie run down on the 2013-2014 X1

1 What appreciable differences in models and model years should I be aware of?
2 We've got great roads in Phoenix with little rain. Is there any real advantage to the AWD x28i for me?
3 Maintenance problems/costs? - I'm guessing fairly high but it's under warranty for a few years anyway.
4 Any options that I really would/should have? I'm pretty basic and never needed Nav. And such.
5 What do you think I should cross shop in this price range? The Lexus RX 350 is a bit bigger than I want, I really like the X1 size. I like the Infinity EX35 also, but I'll admit it, there's a certain image that's nice to have and be seen in even this lower priced BMW.
6 What don't you like about it, that may or may not make it easy to live with for 6 years?
7 General X1 Build quality.
8 (My biggest question) I'm going to see a '13 M-Sport with the premium package, lighting package, 19 “ wheels, heated seats, and Light Finewood Trim, 19,000 miles for $33,200. Seems kind of low for a $42K+ car so I don't know what's wrong with it. It is a CPO from a BMW dealership. What are the major thinkg I can easily look at as far as known problems for this car when i go see it?

I know I'm going to miss driving a stick, really.
33200 seems like a lot of money for a s28 with 19000 miles. You could get a new one for that if you cut down on options and haggled a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 01:11 AM   #5
hal1
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
33200 seems like a lot of money for a s28 with 19000 miles. You could get a new one for that if you cut down on options and haggled a bit.
Yes, I've already got a negotiated price on a 2014 with premium package for 33400. But this one was the M-sport (which i heard is the way to go) and the premium package. It is a CPO, so it still has 3 years mfg warranty plus another 2 on the CPO.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 01:13 AM   #6
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

A few months ago I bought a brand new 2014 Xdrive28i with Tech & Lighting packages for $33k, so you could get a brand new nicely equipped Sdrive for less than $35k. Why buy used when you can buy new?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep
Drives: 2014 X Drive 2.8i Sport Line

Quote:
Thanks. I drove a 2014 a base sdrive today. Have to say, was just a little underwhelmed. Yes, it seemed solid, but I guess I was expecting something more. I was probably comparing there ride/quietness to my sisters RX350 and thought that this premium nameplate would be the same, but I guess there's only so much BMW can do with a $30K car.

The interior, while simply laid out without a lot of clutter, just seemed too austere. It was a nice change to have all the panes a soft touch compared to my WRX which is hard plastic everywhere - dash/panels/console.

It was also hard to handle the decrease in power from what I'm used to. If I had never owned my 2005 WRX or my 2013 WRX I probably would have been fine. Driving home from the dealer I payed more attention to my car and realized that it's ride and comfort wasn't all that terrible after all.

Don't get me wrong. If I seen this before I got my WRX It would have been a hard choice, but plunking down an additional $9K (price + fees) over the trade in of my WRX just wasn't justified at this time.m If it was at least a little bigger than my Rex I could see looking in to it more

The dealer was going to get me a base with the premium package for $33,405 which included the destination/freight charge. From what I've seen that's about $3,400 off MSRP and about $600 under invoice.

Maybe I should still look that the unit tomorrow that I listed in my original post? - a '13 M-Sport with the premium package, lighting package, 19 “ wheels, heated seats, and Light Finewood Trim, 19,000 miles for $33,200. Maybe it'll look feel different with all that stuff?

I still missed being able to slip it in to neutral and be speed/rpm ready to pull like crazy out of a turn. Those of you who drive a stick know what it's like to have the engine ready to go at any moment.

Oh, I paid $26,700 before ttl for my WRX 11 months ago, and the dealer was going to offer me $25,000 for it, and in AZ you don't have to pay tax on the trade in value of the deal I say that's pretty darn little depreciation in a year.
IMHO, keep the Subaru. If you're "underwhelmed" with the X1, then why even consider it? No single car or feature set is for everybody. I have driven manual transmission cars all my life, but when I test-drove the X1 with the ZF 8-speed, that totally changed my mind and I love my new X1. I appreciate the refined, taught feel and superb build quality. If I want to drive a manual, my Wrangler with a 6-speed will suffice.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I've already got a negotiated price on a 2014 with premium package for 33400. But this one was the M-sport (which i heard is the way to go) and the premium package. It is a CPO, so it still has 3 years mfg warranty plus another 2 on the CPO.
A car with 19000 more miles on it is going to hurt your resale value. You are already going to be hurt with the s model. M sport only changes your suspension which is hard enough on stock. The new one seems like the no brainier decision to me. Good chance the reason person sold car so quickly was that it was giving them issues. Do you get longer free maintenance?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #9
hal1
United_States
Rep

Thanks all. After my drive I didn't have any compelling love for it over my Suby. It's a fine car for what it is, but not enough additional utility, luxury or fun factor (and I don't just mean speed) over my 5dr WRX hatch which really gives me a small SUV like utility. And while it doesn't do any one thing the best (other than 0-60 under 4.7 sec.) it really does everything very well.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #10
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I've owned a 2010 WRX and I would not be satisfied if our X1 was my DD. I also don't think the interior is that much of a step up in quality than a leather equipped WRX but that's my opinion. Design and looks yes, but quality isn't anything to get excited about with the X1 interior.

You should really check out the new Mk7 GTI (performance pack) and Golf R coming out soon. Very grown up and nice interior without a BMW price tag, fun to drive, and moddable if that's your thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #11
poby
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 wrx hatch

I currently drive a 2011 wrx hatch, and I am in the same exact position as you are. I love the wrx hatch because of utility, AWD, and the performance is hard to beat for the price. I love to ski and mountainbike so the hatch for me is very useful. The things I don't like are that it is not a very good highway car to take my small family anywhere. Its very noisy on the road. I'm a young professional and have the money to get something nicer. So I have been looking at several options that would give me close to the same performance as my wrx, provide the same utility, and be better on the highway. There aren't many options. I test drove an X1 35i xdrive msport the other day. The car was probably just as quick in a straight line compared to my wrx. It really moves out. The handling is not as good as the wrx, which I expected. The steering was really heavy! I was also very underwhelmed with the interior, and size of the vehicle. The stereo was okay. I didn't care for the automatic. I got back into my wrx after the test drive and discovered how much I love my car with the five speed transmission and short throw shifter, and an aftermarket stereo nav system that is 100 times better. Unfortunately, my wife is pushing me to get an automatic so she can drive it. I've also been looking at the infiniti fx35 or fx50. That car has a better interior and looks better IMHO. The Fx35 is slower and doesn't handle as well as the bmw x1 35i. The fx50 is a gas hog, super fast, nice, but expensive. This new golf r that is coming out in 2015 is supposed to perform very well , but 40000 grand for a golf. I have a hard time doing that. The jeep srt8 is awesome, super gas hog, but very practical and fun to drive with about the same interior qualities as the x1. The range rover evoque and audi allroad seem like they will be even more uderwhelming compared to my wrx. I find my self coming back to the x1 35i for its price point, utility, snow capabilites, good highway mileage for road trips, and great performance. I'm not sure what I'll end up doing, but I understand where you are coming from.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #12
hal1
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poby View Post
I got back into my wrx after the test drive and discovered how much I love my car with the five speed transmission and short throw shifter
That's the problem. Every time I get back in my WRX after driving something else it really doesn't feel all that lacking.

Funny you mentioned the FX's. I just came back from testing a 2011 Infinity EX35 Journey which has everything. Other than less rear leg room than my WRX, this may be my answer. It has 22K miles and year left on the warranty. Asking price - 24,997. My trade - $25,000.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #13
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I currently drive a 2011 wrx hatch, and I am in the same exact position as you are. I love the wrx hatch because of utility, AWD, and the performance is hard to beat for the price. I love to ski and mountainbike so the hatch for me is very useful. The things I don't like are that it is not a very good highway car to take my small family anywhere. Its very noisy on the road. I'm a young professional and have the money to get something nicer. So I have been looking at several options that would give me close to the same performance as my wrx, provide the same utility, and be better on the highway. There aren't many options. I test drove an X1 35i xdrive msport the other day. The car was probably just as quick in a straight line compared to my wrx. It really moves out. The handling is not as good as the wrx, which I expected. The steering was really heavy! I was also very underwhelmed with the interior, and size of the vehicle. The stereo was okay. I didn't care for the automatic. I got back into my wrx after the test drive and discovered how much I love my car with the five speed transmission and short throw shifter, and an aftermarket stereo nav system that is 100 times better. Unfortunately, my wife is pushing me to get an automatic so she can drive it. I've also been looking at the infiniti fx35 or fx50. That car has a better interior and looks better IMHO. The Fx35 is slower and doesn't handle as well as the bmw x1 35i. The fx50 is a gas hog, super fast, nice, but expensive. This new golf r that is coming out in 2015 is supposed to perform very well , but 40000 grand for a golf. I have a hard time doing that. The jeep srt8 is awesome, super gas hog, but very practical and fun to drive with about the same interior qualities as the x1. The range rover evoque and audi allroad seem like they will be even more uderwhelming compared to my wrx. I find my self coming back to the x1 35i for its price point, utility, snow capabilites, good highway mileage for road trips, and great performance. I'm not sure what I'll end up doing, but I understand where you are coming from.
Fx50 is what 60000 dollars you can't compare that to a 35000 car. I had the FX 45 and while it had a nice interior and was fast it got 12 mpg and really had no utility due to the shape.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #14
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Quote:
A car with 19000 more miles on it is going to hurt your resale value. You are already going to be hurt with the s model. M sport only changes your suspension which is hard enough on stock. The new one seems like the no brainier decision to me. Good chance the reason person sold car so quickly was that it was giving them issues. Do you get longer free maintenance?
Resale value is based on the original sticker and options so to say he is going to be hurt is meaningless. If it stickered for $44 and is now $33.5 it's already factored in and same with S drive. There is zero need for Xdrive where I live because it doesn't snow and it doesn't even rain in Arizona and besides that's already factored into the sticker and price he's paying. Why does everyone think you need Xdrive? S drive is lighter, faster and better handling. Wrong also on M Sport, it gives you sport seats and all the body changes which look 100% better than stock. The suspension also is not hard, I find the M Sport suspension soft compared to my previous X3 and 3 M3's. So really I don't agree with anything you said.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #15
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i m sport

dude dude wooo woooo dont do it!
you will not be happy, dont buy the 4 cyl motor you will not be happy.
i was checking a wrx sti i am so glad i got the 35i m sport, with the mods for tuning and handling ive done the wrx cant provide the same pkg in total. nothing aginst the 4 cyl motor x1 iam just speaking for max power since he was looking at a wrx you can buy a bmw x1 35i m sport used in you price range and since 35i m sport x1 s are running 12.1 quarter mile even faster when the track reopens it makes more and more since.

Last edited by wantm135i; 03-16-2014 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #16
hal1
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantm135i View Post
dude dude wooo woooo dont do it!
I'm not getting any X1. See post #9
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #17
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Resale value is based on the original sticker and options so to say he is going to be hurt is meaningless. If it stickered for $44 and is now $33.5 it's already factored in and same with S drive. There is zero need for Xdrive where I live because it doesn't snow and it doesn't even rain in Arizona and besides that's already factored into the sticker and price he's paying. Why does everyone think you need Xdrive? S drive is lighter, faster and better handling. Wrong also on M Sport, it gives you sport seats and all the body changes which look 100% better than stock. The suspension also is not hard, I find the M Sport suspension soft compared to my previous X3 and 3 M3's. So really I don't agree with anything you said.
Well we are talking resale value and if pays more for a year old model with 19k miles on than one that is new with zero miles on it he is going to get screwed when he tries to sell it. If he drives the car for two years and adds 30,000 miles what do you think will sell for more a 2014 with 30,000 miles or 2013 with 50,000 miles and an M Package?

It doesn't matter what you think unless you are going to buy his car. 90 percent of the people buying the car couldn't care less about the M package. Probably wouldn't want it if it were free. 95 percent of the people buying this car want 4 wheel drive. My dealer doesn't even stock S drive. It is higher of the ground for that you take a handling performance loss. Why take that loss with no gain?

So you have your opinion and good for you I wouldn't want to change it but obviously when you are missing features that everyone wants and adding features that most people don't care about you are going to lose value. The original owner obvioulsy took a huge hit due to the configuration of his car.

Looks are purely opinion. I think the X-Line looks the best. I would take the base next.

Last edited by atomic; 03-16-2014 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #18
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I've owned a 2010 WRX and I would not be satisfied if our X1 was my DD. I also don't think the interior is that much of a step up in quality than a leather equipped WRX but that's my opinion. Design and looks yes, but quality isn't anything to get excited about with the X1 interior.

You should really check out the new Mk7 GTI (performance pack) and Golf R coming out soon. Very grown up and nice interior without a BMW price tag, fun to drive, and moddable if that's your thing.
I like the BMW X1 interior over the Subaru WRX hatch. I think the regular Subaru hatch version looks pretty nice but they made the WRX version into some that only a high school boy would find attractive with the silly rear spoiler and the air scoop in the hood.

Last edited by atomic; 03-16-2014 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #19
hal1
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I like the BMW X1 interior over the Subaru WRX hatch. I think the regular Subaru hatch version looks pretty nice but they made the WRX version into some that only a high school boy would find attractive with the silly rear spoiler and the air scoop in the hood.
No doubt about the interior. As far as the scoop, it's not like the useless mustang scoop or fake side vents on the back side panels. It is a functional scoop to bring air in to the top mounted intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:02 PM   #20
poby
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 wrx hatch

I'm going with an Audi SQ5 for 52000. Better looks, bigger and better interior, great performance. Same size as an X3. This might be out of your budget. But not to far off from a nicely equipped X1
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #21
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

Quote:
I'm going with an Audi SQ5 for 52000. Better looks, bigger and better interior, great performance. Same size as an X3. This might be out of your budget. But not to far off from a nicely equipped X1

To compare with a nicely equipped x1, you'd need to option your SQ5 up to $58k at the least, fyi. Pet peeve of mine is when people compare car's prices but at wildly different option levels.

Also, enjoy that 23mpg on highway. No, I mean, literally enjoy it, that 3.0 TSI is niiiiiiiice. Though you'll need it, carting around 700 more pounds of weight.

2014 981 Cayman S 6MT, X73 Suspension, SES
2021 X5 45e MSport, Manhattan Green, Coffee Merino, Review & Photos
Previous: '18 340 GT, '15 M235i 6MT, '15 i3 REx, '15 x1 xDrive28i
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #22
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomfg View Post
To compare with a nicely equipped x1, you'd need to option your SQ5 up to $58k at the least, fyi. Pet peeve of mine is when people compare car's prices but at wildly different option levels.

Also, enjoy that 23mpg on highway. No, I mean, literally enjoy it, that 3.0 TSI is niiiiiiiice. Though you'll need it, carting around 700 more pounds of weight.
The original poster was talking about getting a new X1 for 33k and he comes on and suggests a 60k car. I guess that makes sense somehow I just dont' see how.
Appreciate 0