XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
mscottc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x28X1

Weird Issue "Door/Trunk Open" alerts

This last weekend I was in Manhattan for lunch when I got in my 2014 X1 with Comfort Access (Ultimate Package). When I put the car in Drive, I got a chime and message indicating I needed to "secure the vehicle before moving it." A moment later an indicator came on indicating a door was open, then the trunk. I double-checked all the doors and trunk, slamming them closed. I still kept getting the same messages and chimes every time I took my foot off the brake to move the car. Of course this happened as I was trying to drive from the east side of Manhattan to the west side with crazy holiday traffic, took me almost an hour to get out of NYC that afternoon. Again I checked all the doors and trunk several times. Add the constant chiming along with a sudden need to empty one's bladder and it made for a very frustrating ride home.

As soon as I got home, I first emptied the bladder, then went back to the car, hoping the problem would go away. It didn't. I then checked the PDF of the manual and logged online to see if I could find any answers to this issue, to no avail. But remembering something about keyfobs and batteries needing to be changed after a year or so, I decided to change the battery in the fob. I went back down to the car, and lo and behold, the problem was gone. Just to confirm, I put the original battery back in, but the problem was still gone. So somewhere in that 15 minute period, the computer or sensor causing this issue must have reset.

Has anyone experienced similar? Is there a secret "reset" button push to make this happen on demand? Any other possible solutions if this should come up again?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
NumberSix
Veloce
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future X1???

I've gotten the erroneous message for the rear hatch twice. Both times were after a "soft" close and when I opened it and slammed it down the message went away.

I don't believe in either case the hatch door was closed to begin with
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
mscottc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x28X1

One thing I failed to mention. While this issue was going on, I could not electronically lock any door on the car, either with the FOB, or the LOCK BUTTON on the console, even the automatic lock when driving failed to function. The only way I could lock the car was to manually depress each physical lock on each door, or with the key for the driver's door.

And yes I did close all the doors and the trunk multiple times to no avail.
Appreciate 0