XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
allenderb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1974 , 2002

no paddle shifters

live on the west coast, took several extra weeks for my 35i x1 msport to come in, just saw it and no paddle shifters. My dealer will order another but not sure its worth the wait for another 3 months. Those that did not get the paddle shifters are u missing them? Btw how is the JB4 working? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport 28i

Your CA should have told you about this before you ordered the car. A lot of people are complaining about the fact that their M-Sport did not come with paddle shifters. When I ordered my X1 M-Sport, I made sure I had the 7XA steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i M version 2013

Don't get me started on this issue!

I have for two weeks had the runaround with BMW on this matter. Everyone who has this issue should raise HELL as Im doing so no one has a clue and say I didn't read the website correct (basically saying I cant read) It clearly states "M wheel with paddle shifters".
I have talked to the dealer and the dealer says I have to take it up with BMW... You would think that the dealer would have some sorta connection and will to help after buying 5 BW's from his lot..??? Or I maybe over reacting..? NOT!

Ill start another thread when I have more info...
      09-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

No big loss in my experience. I'm a manual driver (and probably always will be) so reaching for the lever in my wife's cars is never really an issue for me. With loaners, the paddles seem to always have more delay than the lever anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
allenderb
United_States
Rep

wondering how not having paddle shifters on the wheel will effect my driving. Have driven a manual entire life, so my not make any difference. just irritating that car came without shifters. Evan asked in advance and still came without shifters.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenderb View Post
wondering how not having paddle shifters on the wheel will effect my driving. Have driven a manual entire life, so my not make any difference. just irritating that car came without shifters. Evan asked in advance and still came without shifters.
We made it four years with her old 135i and a few weeks with the X1 without it causing me any angst. If you really want them though, it sounds like your dealer is playing nice, so just order what you want.

However having more than four years of experience with the "old" 6s, it's actually pretty intuitive and the more I drove her old 1er, the less I messed with 'manual' shifting. The X1 is a little more aggressive off the line than the 1er which removes the one situation I was still occasionally using manual mode on her old car.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Not looking too closely at it, but is a retrofit out of the question? I gotta think that the steering column is pre-wired for it, and just swapping the wheel would be all that it took?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

I signed the paperwork on my M Sport yesterday, and I'm picking it up tomorrow. Like most others, my car does not have the "standard" paddle shifters. I chewed on my CA for the better part of an hour yesterday and got nothing accomplished. The same BS ... to paraphrase: "our BMW rep will be notified of your issue, and he will work with you to find a resolution". They told me that at the very least BMW will refund $120, which is the cost of the paddles on the lower trim levels. I was insulted by the offer and told them so. The paddles were a significant selling point for me, and paying me $120 won't cut it. They also offered to re-order the car with the paddles, but by the time the correct car comes in, the $1,000 BMW Drive bonus will have expired. So in essence, the "free" paddle shifters would cost me $1,000 plus another two months of waiting. I nearly walked out, and I most definitely would have if I hadn't enjoyed the test drive so much.

My CA was mostly reasonable. I'm in sales myself, and I know what it's like to be the punching bag when somebody else screws up. I don't hold him directly responsible, but the dealership certainly didn't go out of their way to satisfy me. And they should make it a policy to go through the order guide with the buyer rather than build the car from your online configuration. I have yet to decide how I will rate my CA on the follow-up survey, but the dealership will get definitely get dinged. And at this point I have nothing good to say about BMW. I think the worst part is that nobody will own up to an obvious screw up. There's documentation everywhere for crying out loud! My experience with Audi has been nothing like this. Hell, my Subaru experience has been nothing like this. Such a superiority complex! Maybe I should have went with the allroad after all???

[end rant]
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
Not looking too closely at it, but is a retrofit out of the question? I gotta think that the steering column is pre-wired for it, and just swapping the wheel would be all that it took?
I asked that question, too. I was told the wheels are not interchangeable. But I'm not convinced they even looked into it.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
MSportX1
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Regarding the peddle shifter in M Sport Line package, BMW definitely makes a mistake. First of all, what is the point to make two steering wheel options; one with peddle shifter and the other without. Secondly, even if they make the first mistake, they should make the one with peddle shifter as default option. Since both options are NC (no change), think about who would choose the option of without peddle shifter, unless a guy is a dumb person. I would have the peddle shifter and do not use it, rather than do not have it and cannot use it.
For those who are going to order Sport Line, do not forget to select the option "Steering Wheel with Peddle Sifter". This option is for free (NC). But again, like M Sport Line, it is a "hidden" feature and the default is no peddle shifter for Sport Line.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottRodW View Post
I asked that question, too. I was told the wheels are not interchangeable. But I'm not convinced they even looked into it.
Hmmm, looking on realoem, the only differences I can tell is there is a different wiring harness to the instrument cluster IF you have heated steering wheel or not. Otherwise, if not, the only difference is the wheel. I can't tell if the switching center is different or not, or any other trim pieces.

Actually, doing a little further investigation (on the E82 anyway) a non-multi-function to multi-function steering wheel is possible, but does require a switching center change.

Given that, it may be more involved.

Last edited by Bill B.; 09-14-2012 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #12
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
Hmmm, looking on realoem, the only differences I can tell is there is a different wiring harness to the instrument cluster IF you have heated steering wheel or not. Otherwise, if not, the only difference is the wheel. I can't tell if the switching center is different or not, or any other trim pieces.

Actually, doing a little further investigation (on the E82 anyway) a non-multi-function to multi-function steering wheel is possible, but does require a switching center change.

Given that, it may be more involved.
Heated steering wheel isn't available on the M Sport regardless of wheel selection, so that's a non-issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #13
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep

I talked for an hr to the sales manager and then another hr to Bmw relations manager and I felt like I was in the middle of a fuss between the two.I told the BMW that she could take my x6 and shove it as I had wasted too much time on this matter as it should have been addressed the first day and fixed the second day. Im not through with my fight with this given i have the dash board issue now. I paid a total of $53k for this car and feel i deserve a little better respect given this is my 5th BMW with this dealer and BMW. The BMW rep said I was the only one complaining about this and that I was the only one with this issue......I cant put here what I said next I can say it was colorful... Ill keep you updated.....
      09-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #14
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X3 35i MSport / X1 28ix MSport

Just ordered 28i XDrive w/MSport.
SA went thru all option selections including the shift paddles, and had us go thru the printed order line by line and initial the selected options.
All crystal clear to everyone involved and hopefully no surprises in store.
Reading this post, we appreciate our SA taking the time to ensure we were clear on all our options. Only unknown is what specific tires BMW will put on the mixed rims.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #15
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Pretty sure you will get Goodyear Efficient Grip on 18' with M Sport because so far everyone has. Tires are determined by rim style.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #16
cpippolo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Hi all. The build your own website has me very confused. If you build an S-drive 28i m-sport on the website and try to select the steering wheel with paddle shifters, it will remove the m-sport package. But it sounds like you can actually get paddles with m-sport and the website is just wrong?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #17
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X3 35i MSport / X1 28ix MSport

Noticed that also, but when ordering at the dealer it is a no charge option (7XA) for the MSport.
Checking the cold weather package also removes MSport on the online configurator. We ordered the heated seats as a separate option (494).
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #18
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpippolo View Post
Hi all. The build your own website has me very confused. If you build an S-drive 28i m-sport on the website and try to select the steering wheel with paddle shifters, it will remove the m-sport package. But it sounds like you can actually get paddles with m-sport and the website is just wrong?
That's one of the issues that's causing the problem -- the configurator is wrong. Since the paddle shifters are suppose to be part of the M Sport package, you shouldn't need to add them as a stand alone option. If you attempt to add them, the configurator errors indicating they can't be ordered with the M Sport trim. You receive the same error if you try to add the cold weather package to the M Sport ... you have to remove the cold weather package or change to a lower trim line. Confusing? You bet it is! But since the paddles are suppose to be standard, there is no way for customers to know you have to ask for them. It has been going on for weeks, and BMW has yet to change their website or standard equipment list. Mistakes happen - I understand that. What I can't understand is why after several weeks the problem still has not been addressed.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #19
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtexan View Post
Noticed that also, but when ordering at the dealer it is a no charge option (7XA) for the MSport.
Checking the cold weather package also removes MSport on the online configurator. We ordered the heated seats as a separate option (494).
Exactly. Problem is, dealers aren't all as competent as yours. I never saw an order guide before I ordered, and so I wasn't aware there were two M Sport wheels until after my car had already been built. I addressed it immediately after learning about it on the forums, but rather than check into it to find out if my car actually had the paddles, my CA insisted it should have them, and elected to take a "wait and see" approach. Had the problem been caught when I first expressed concern, I could have had the car built correctly and only lost a couple weeks. Reordering now would cost me money since the car wouldn't arrive until after the $1,000 Drive rebate expires.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #20
allenderb
United_States
Rep

Paddle shifters

Finally had a chance to drive x1 35i I ordered, fabulous ride, great in the corners. Had my CA nervous, wonderful power, great brakes. Almost took it as is but my son talked me into being patient ,therefore my CA is ordering another with the paddle shifter. Now I'm going to wait another couple of months before I can drive it again.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #21
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: The can not retro fit the paddle shifters as I was informed today...... Your SOL !

Thanks BMW but the complaint is not over as I put in a $ amount for a settlement. I will know something soon as I also included my having to send car into service for the dash board.... I asked for one full month payment for reimbursement for the hassle.
      09-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #22
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAMERBOI View Post
UPDATE: The can not retro fit the paddle shifters as I was informed today...... Your SOL !

Thanks BMW but the complaint is not over as I put in a $ amount for a settlement. I will know something soon as I also included my having to send car into service for the dash board.... I asked for one full month payment for reimbursement for the hassle.
Any word on your settlement? My CA informed me today that BMW will be offering me a $500 credit toward accessories purchased at my dealership. I'm glad they're offering something, but our accessories choice here in the States is limited thus far. I can't get the floor liners or cargo mat that I want, and I won't buy $500 worth of BMW shirts, hats and coffee mugs ... I'm just not that guy.

Factoring in margins, what do you estimate this is actually costing BMW? $200?

And for the record, I'm still pissed!
Appreciate 0