XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
Jim2013X1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

First Problem

Just under 2,000 miles, and yesterday my parking sensors, back-up camera, and garage door button stopped working. Seems like anything that involves a signal is not working? Anyone experience this on a BMW before? I have a service appt. for Friday.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i M version 2013

Did you check all your settings in your I drive? good luck..
      11-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Jim2013X1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAMERBOI View Post
Did you check all your settings in your I drive? good luck..
I did go through the iDrive and don't think that's what it is. My thought is possibly a fuse but haven't had time to check them. The little light for the garage door button, nor the parking sensor light on that button will light up when pressed. I don't believe BMW provides spare fuses in the car? But I guess why mess with it when it is a warranty item. My dealer does pickup/delivery so I'm set for Friday. Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
stonex1
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' X1, 02' Chev S10

A long shot.... but try a hard reboot of your car and pull a battery wire for a few seconds.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2013X1 View Post
I did go through the iDrive and don't think that's what it is. My thought is possibly a fuse but haven't had time to check them. The little light for the garage door button, nor the parking sensor light on that button will light up when pressed. I don't believe BMW provides spare fuses in the car? But I guess why mess with it when it is a warranty item. My dealer does pickup/delivery so I'm set for Friday. Thanks for the reply.
Interesting. The homelink mirror electronics are relatively independent (other than power), so if the little light isn't coming on, I sure would suspect the fuse first.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

I have had no problems with the parking sensors, but my garage door opener hasn't worked properly from day one. I have to stop directly in front of the door for it to function, and even then it doesn't always work. I thought my iPass transponder was creating interference, but removing it from my windshield has shown no improvement. It's pretty sad that I have to carry the portable transmitter to get in my garage.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottRodW View Post
... my garage door opener hasn't worked properly from day one. I have to stop directly in front of the door for it to function, and even then it doesn't always work. I thought my iPass transponder was creating interference, but removing it from my windshield has shown no improvement. It's pretty sad that I have to carry the portable transmitter to get in my garage.
You don't have an after-market tint, right?

I've never had a look inside one of these mirrors, but given the crappy range of them, it is probably using a chip antenna. Your mirror might have a slight defect inside relating to component placement or distances that may cause decreased efficiency.

It's under warranty, why don't you have them replace it? They are pretty easy to change out.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
You don't have an after-market tint, right?

I've never had a look inside one of these mirrors, but given the crappy range of them, it is probably using a chip antenna. Your mirror might have a slight defect inside relating to component placement or distances that may cause decreased efficiency.

It's under warranty, why don't you have them replace it? They are pretty easy to change out.
Only the windows from the B pillar back are tinted. I have the car scheduled for service to diagnose my non-functioning TPMS and to change the Auto Start default to last setting, so I'll have it looked at then.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
Jim2013X1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Only the windows from the B pillar back are tinted. I have the car scheduled for service to diagnose my non-functioning TPMS and to change the Auto Start default to last setting, so I'll have it looked at then.
Ahhh, this reminds me to have them program that Auto Start/Stop to default while I have it in there. Has been more annoying than beneficial.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 05:50 AM   #10
Jim2013X1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Just under 2,000 miles, and yesterday my parking sensors, back-up camera, and garage door button stopped working. Seems like anything that involves a signal is not working? Anyone experience this on a BMW before? I have a service appt. for Friday.
After a 1 1/2 days not working, backing out of the garage this morning after about 10 feet (not immediately as usual), the camera came on and sensors worked. Was able to close the garage with Homelink. Worked fine on the drive in to work. Still going to have it looked at on Friday.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #11
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
After a 1 1/2 days not working, backing out of the garage this morning after about 10 feet (not immediately as usual), the camera came on and sensors worked. Was able to close the garage with Homelink. Worked fine on the drive in to work. Still going to have it looked at on Friday.
Ok, so not the fuse. This is a bummer - I hate these types of intermittent problems. Unless a code is stored, the dealer will probably just shrug his shoulders and imply that you have been imagining the whole thing...

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
dchao
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

parking sensors, back-up camera, and garage door button.

Could they all be on the same loom?

If they are, it's probably a loose connection. Ask the dealership to replace the suspect wiring loom anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
Jim2013X1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchao View Post
parking sensors, back-up camera, and garage door button.

Could they all be on the same loom?

If they are, it's probably a loose connection. Ask the dealership to replace the suspect wiring loom anyway.
I'll mention it. In addition, now when the preset radio station is selected with either iDrive or voice command, the check mark appears next to the station, but the station stays on what was already playing! Did that yesterday but not today.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
dchao
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Quote:
I'll mention it. In addition, now when the preset radio station is selected with either iDrive or voice command, the check mark appears next to the station, but the station stays on what was already playing! Did that yesterday but not today.
Almost sounds like the iDrive computer is faulty. Randomly not taking inputs, and deselecting optional equipments.

Get the iDrive unit check out as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 04:35 AM   #15
Jim2013X1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchao View Post
Almost sounds like the iDrive computer is faulty. Randomly not taking inputs, and deselecting optional equipments.

Get the iDrive unit check out as well.
Update: BMW ordered some 'loop' and when I got the car back waiting for the part to arrive, I no longer had satellite radio or was able to set any radio presets (but that was fine before I initially took it in). Took it back last Thursday after the part came in. Now they tell me they cannot 'find' the satellite radio and it was like it was never even an option. Heard late yesterday it is a missing software issue with the iDrive and they need to be in contact with BMW Corporate to reprogram. They've had the car for 5 days so far and doubtful it will be done today.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #16
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update: BMW ordered some 'loop' and when I got the car back waiting for the part to arrive, I no longer had satellite radio or was able to set any radio presets (but that was fine before I initially took it in). Took it back last Thursday after the part came in. Now they tell me they cannot 'find' the satellite radio and it was like it was never even an option. Heard late yesterday it is a missing software issue with the iDrive and they need to be in contact with BMW Corporate to reprogram. They've had the car for 5 days so far and doubtful it will be done today.
My X1 is currently without sat radio as well. I had it in the shop last Monday to change the default on the Auto Start, and on the drive home realized the Sirius XM was completely disabled. I took the car back Friday to have the malfunctioning TPM module replaced and sat problem diagnosed, and was told the sat radio problem is a result a software issue, and that a fix was in the works. The download was expected to happen over the weekend, so they just kept the car. Sadly, the download was unsuccessful, so it's still sitting in the shop awaiting the update.

Adding insult to injury, the TPM system is still malfunctioning as well. They're blaming that problem on the sensors I purchased from Tire Rack with my winter wheels and tires. The sensors are the correct frequency, and I've gotten no logical explanation for why they aren't communicating. So now I have to spend another $550 to have BMW sensors overnighted and installed. Everything is suppose to be completed today. We'll see ...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #17
Jim2013X1
Private
Rep

Quote:
My X1 is currently without sat radio as well. I had it in the shop last Monday to change the default on the Auto Start, and on the drive home realized the Sirius XM was completely disabled. I took the car back Friday to have the malfunctioning TPM module replaced and sat problem diagnosed, and was told the sat radio problem is a result a software issue, and that a fix was in the works. The download was expected to happen over the weekend, so they just kept the car. Sadly, the download was unsuccessful, so it's still sitting in the shop awaiting the update.

Adding insult to injury, the TPM system is still malfunctioning as well. They're blaming that problem on the sensors I purchased from Tire Rack with my winter wheels and tires. The sensors are the correct frequency, and I've gotten no logical explanation for why they aren't communicating. So now I have to spend another $550 to have BMW sensors overnighted and installed. Everything is suppose to be completed today. We'll see ...
Just got the call, the car is done and they said EVERYTHING was working. We'll see. They will bring it to my house after work today. I had the auto stop/start changed to keep on the off setting so maybe that screwed up the satelitte, like you said. Anyway, once I see all the paperwork I'll report back on what exactly was done in case this happens to anyone else. They gave me a 2011 328 xdrive as a loaner. Kicks some butt, but give me my X1 any day!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #18
Dandaman184
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 (Sold)

Quote:
Just got the call, the car is done and they said EVERYTHING was working. We'll see. They will bring it to my house after work today. I had the auto stop/start changed to keep on the off setting so maybe that screwed up the satelitte, like you said. Anyway, once I see all the paperwork I'll report back on what exactly was done in case this happens to anyone else. They gave me a 2011 328 xdrive as a loaner. Kicks some butt, but give me my X1 any day!
Jim, who is your dealer in Pittsburgh? I am about to pick mine up in Pittsburgh and am wondering who is the most competent to do basic stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #19
Jim2013X1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandaman184 View Post
Jim, who is your dealer in Pittsburgh? I am about to pick mine up in Pittsburgh and am wondering who is the most competent to do basic stuff.
Sewickley
Appreciate 0