XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
bbg2d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Sport Line

Ambiance lighting?

Did anyone get the light package? What does the Ambiance lighting look like?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
Bimmerized
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive

I haven't confirmed what it looks like in the X1, but in the E9x it's just a trim of dim lighting in the interior when the headlights are on. It's a "night light" for the interior.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Mr Mech
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 x35i Alpine/Black

I think on the old E9x style it also included the perimeter approach lights under the door handles.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

I got the light package as part of the Comfort Pack on my 2010 X1.

There's 2 glowing orange lights next to the main interior lights (front and centre) that give the cabin a soft orange light. You can't really see it in the back, but it lights up the centre console quite well. You have to have the dash lighting turned up high to see the glow though.

As above... The pack also has LED lights under the door handles. Now they look good and really do illuminate the ground around the car. Looks well cool in a dark place )

J.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Ambiance lighting for the 1 series (I'm assuming its the same for the X)

"offers lights in the exterior door handles that shine downward for approximately seconds when doors are unlocked. Inside are front and rear reading lights, front footwell illumination, vanity mirror lights for driver and front passenger, and Ambiance interior lighting ."

The "puddle" lights on the door handles are ok, and the vanity mirror lights are helpful, but I think the package is pricey for what you get. I did not put it on my X1 order.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Bimmerized
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
Ambiance lighting for the 1 series (I'm assuming its the same for the X)

"offers lights in the exterior door handles that shine downward for approximately seconds when doors are unlocked. Inside are front and rear reading lights, front footwell illumination, vanity mirror lights for driver and front passenger, and Ambiance interior lighting ."

The "puddle" lights on the door handles are ok, and the vanity mirror lights are helpful, but I think the package is pricey for what you get. I did not put it on my X1 order.
The Lighting Pkg may not be worth it for the 35, but for the 28, they include the Xenons so the ambiance light is just a consequential plus.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
bbg2d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Sport Line

Yeah, I was hoping it would be like in my e92 with the door light strip, but I guess not. Well, that's $450 I'll be saving.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
BMWDave
Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
Got it, love it. As stated, the door "puddle" lights look great in dark places :-) Also, the females appreciate the passenger mirror + light and I quite like the ambient lighting.
      08-29-2012, 05:56 AM   #9
Jim2013X1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

I did not get the Lighting Pkg on my X1 but I still have the 'puddle' lights under the door handles and the ambiant orange glow lighting that shines down on the center console (two different settings available for that). Do not have the lighted vanity mirrors though.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
Kool-Kat
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2013X1 View Post
I did not get the Lighting Pkg on my X1 but I still have the 'puddle' lights under the door handles and the ambiant orange glow lighting that shines down on the center console (two different settings available for that). Do not have the lighted vanity mirrors though.

Hey when you say two settings for that, does that mean it changes colors?
I read that the interior ambiant lighting changes colors, white and orange
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
Jim2013X1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool-Kat View Post
Hey when you say two settings for that, does that mean it changes colors?
I read that the interior ambiant lighting changes colors, white and orange
I have to look at that again. It's under the Settings function/Lighting/Ambiant. If I recall, one of the options was 'Sport' and can't remember the other. It wasn't dark when I was playing around with it, so didn't see any difference when I switched between the two. I believe it is between white/orange as you said. Mine currently set for the orange. Ahh, another thing to try out.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
Kool-Kat
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2013X1 View Post
I have to look at that again. It's under the Settings function/Lighting/Ambiant. If I recall, one of the options was 'Sport' and can't remember the other. It wasn't dark when I was playing around with it, so didn't see any difference when I switched between the two. I believe it is between white/orange as you said. Mine currently set for the orange. Ahh, another thing to try out.

Cool, oh hey let me know when you try! I'm dying to know...really
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
Bimmerized
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool, oh hey let me know when you try! I'm dying to know...really
Yes, the ambient lighting can be changed from orange/red to white. My choices are named xLine and Standard since I have the xLine package, but I believe the colors are the same regardless of pakage. I believe Standard is white. Only the lights in the center and door pockets (front and rear) change color; all the dash and instrument lighting stays constant no matter the setting so the change is very subtle.

I'm surprised to hear that the door handle and ambient lighting is standard...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #14
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i M version 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerized View Post
Yes, the ambient lighting can be changed from orange/red to white. My choices are named xLine and Standard since I have the xLine package, but I believe the colors are the same regardless of pakage. I believe Standard is white. Only the lights in the center and door pockets (front and rear) change color; all the dash and instrument lighting stays constant no matter the setting so the change is very subtle.

Hi
where or what settings are you changing that gives you that option. I just went out to my x1 35i to see if I could change the lighting color and the only option I have is brightness that controls the instrument panel and the centre and door lights but no option to change color... Im perplexed now...??
      09-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #15
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

xDrive28i standard (no "line") without lighting pack does have the door handle puddle lights. I'll have to check ours for center console lighting. I thought the ambiance lights in the lighting pack were in the footwells or interior doors or something.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #16
Kool-Kat
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerized View Post

Could someone maybe post a pic of the white ambient lighting at night? I tried looking for ambient lighting settings on an X1 at the dealership, couldn't find it.
Wonder where the actual option is? And what's it look like?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 03:43 AM   #17
Bimmerized
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I don't have the Tech, but I do have Lighting Pkg, so I change my color through the radio. Those with the iDrive should find it there.

Not sure what lights are part of the Ambient, but there are lights in all 4 door pockets as well, but they do no good to light up the contents. I don't even think those lights change from white when adjusted to red/orange. There's at least one in coming down from the roof to the shifter area. I also have a light in the dash compartment where the sat nav screen usually is, but I think that one follows the instrument cluster color.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #18
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAMERBOI View Post
Hi
where or what settings are you changing that gives you that option. I just went out to my x1 35i to see if I could change the lighting color and the only option I have is brightness that controls the instrument panel and the centre and door lights but no option to change color... Im perplexed now...??
You too? I've been trying to find it since I got the car. The manual indicates "ambient lighting" should be a menu option under lighting, but it's not there. I wonder if it can be changed manually?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #19
Kool-Kat
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottRodW View Post
You too? I've been trying to find it since I got the car. The manual indicates "ambient lighting" should be a menu option under lighting, but it's not there. I wonder if it can be changed manually?
I actually tested it out, it's in settings, lights, ambient, then it gives two options. You can't notice it that well imo, they're under the door rest/handle and in the little storage spot under the HDC button, I'm just trying to find out how to make it brighter...
I'm not sure if it's limited to X and Sport line though...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #20
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I actually tested it out, it's in settings, lights, ambient, then it gives two options. You can't notice it that well imo, they're under the door rest/handle and in the little storage spot under the HDC button, I'm just trying to find out how to make it brighter...
I'm not sure if it's limited to X and Sport line though...
Nope - the option doesn't exist in my menu. Looks like some of us got screwed on that one, too.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #21
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I'm curious ... does anybody with an M Sport with the Lighting Package have the ambiance lighting?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #22
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Can the ambient lights be turned off? I ordered the lighting package to get the light on the door handles and auto-dimming brights, but I don't want more (or any, really) ambient interior light reducing my night vision or distracting me.

As for vanity mirror, this is a 2013 model, not a 1960 model - I'm not going to comb Brylcreem through my hair in the car! A USB key holder would be more practical, methinks...
Appreciate 0