XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

09-05-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
MsportyX35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 xDrive35i M Sport, Alpine

Question Too slow when I start to go. Anything help?

Hi all! I've got a 2014 X1 xDrive35i with the M Sport package that we purchased about 6 months ago, and we're mostly liking the car. But what's annoying us to no end (my wife and I both drive it, depending on who's hauling the kids somewhere), is the lag when starting from a standstill in normal drive mode. To avoid a far too long pause between throttle pedal engagement and the car actually moving forward, I need to mash the throttle and launch the car too aggressively for normal driving. A Dinan tune improved this slightly, but only slightly. Would a transmission software flash help address this? Or is it just the nature of the beast? Am I expecting too much after decades of driving only manuals?

From 5 mph on, it's a joy, but that 0-5 mph is driving me nuts. With all wheel drive and gobs of power at low rpm, you'd think it would be crazy-quick off the line, but our old 2003 Mini Cooper S with a huge power deficit and fwd, makes the X1 look like a grandma trying to get out of a lazy boy if you launch it with anything less than lead footed aggression. There has to be a way to get a response time that's somewhere in between a drag racing launch and 80's dial up internet. But after months of trying different amounts of pedal modulation, or trying to get used to the lag, neither my wife or I have managed any success.

When the shifter is in sport/manual, it is better starting off, and feels like the torque converter locks up much quicker, and there's less of the annoying lag, but the shift points in sport aren't always appropriate for casual driving around town. Is there a transmission flash that helps remove the huge lag from a stop in normal drive mode, while maintaining the more conservative shift points, and also allowing for higher rev and faster shifts in sport with rev matched downshifts? Alpina, xHP, other, or none of the above? Any other ideas? God, I miss my e46 330i!

Thanks for your help,
Michael
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #2
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Its an absolute fucking joke that the Ultimate driving machine has this inherent MASSIVE throttle lag to save 1% on gas.

Infuriates me.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsportyX35 View Post
Hi all! I've got a 2014 X1 xDrive35i with the M Sport package that we purchased about 6 months ago, and we're mostly liking the car. But what's annoying us to no end (my wife and I both drive it, depending on who's hauling the kids somewhere), is the lag when starting from a standstill in normal drive mode. To avoid a far too long pause between throttle pedal engagement and the car actually moving forward, I need to mash the throttle and launch the car too aggressively for normal driving. A Dinan tune improved this slightly, but only slightly. Would a transmission software flash help address this? Or is it just the nature of the beast? Am I expecting too much after decades of driving only manuals?

From 5 mph on, it's a joy, but that 0-5 mph is driving me nuts. With all wheel drive and gobs of power at low rpm, you'd think it would be crazy-quick off the line, but our old 2003 Mini Cooper S with a huge power deficit and fwd, makes the X1 look like a grandma trying to get out of a lazy boy if you launch it with anything less than lead footed aggression. There has to be a way to get a response time that's somewhere in between a drag racing launch and 80's dial up internet. But after months of trying different amounts of pedal modulation, or trying to get used to the lag, neither my wife or I have managed any success.

When the shifter is in sport/manual, it is better starting off, and feels like the torque converter locks up much quicker, and there's less of the annoying lag, but the shift points in sport aren't always appropriate for casual driving around town. Is there a transmission flash that helps remove the huge lag from a stop in normal drive mode, while maintaining the more conservative shift points, and also allowing for higher rev and faster shifts in sport with rev matched downshifts? Alpina, xHP, other, or none of the above? Any other ideas? God, I miss my e46 330i!

Thanks for your help,
Michael
I would look into MHD. I feel that there was a big improvement in throttle response from the stock flash when I loaded it on the 335i. The down side to having the newer DME is that it will need to be removed once for a bench flash.

XHP may lock the torque converter up sooner but IMO D mode isn't quite as nice. I also feel that your symptom would be better resolved with MHD.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 05:54 PM   #4
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Try this, I do it fairly often to reduce my frustration.

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812743&highlight=Throttle
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 08:07 PM   #5
MsportyX35
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
Try this, I do it fairly often to reduce my frustration.

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...light=Throttle
Thank You! I just did this, then drove it around the block, then told my wife to go drive it around the block. She came back in with a goofy grin on her face asking how I fixed the car.

It's not perfect, but it's dramatically improved. To everyone else who commented or offered suggestions, thank you as well. I still might try a transmission flash, and would love feedback from anyone whose had one installed, but I no longer feel desperate to get something done.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 08:13 PM   #6
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsportyX35 View Post
Thank You! I just did this, then drove it around the block, then told my wife to go drive it around the block. She came back in with a goofy grin on her face asking how I fixed the car.

It's not perfect, but it's dramatically improved. To everyone else who commented or offered suggestions, thank you as well. I still might try a transmission flash, and would love feedback from anyone whose had one installed, but I no longer feel desperate to get something done.
I am glad it worked for you, I do every 1000 km.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 08:16 PM   #7
MsportyX35
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbod View Post
I would look into MHD. I feel that there was a big improvement in throttle response from the stock flash when I loaded it on the 335i. The down side to having the newer DME is that it will need to be removed once for a bench flash.

XHP may lock the torque converter up sooner but IMO D mode isn't quite as nice. I also feel that your symptom would be better resolved with MHD.
Thanks for the help. If I do try a different flash, it'll likely be after my factory warranty has expired. Part of the reason I went with Dinan was to preserve the warranty, and I've been more than pleased with power output. It's just the lag from start that was getting to me. If the throttle reset linked to above takes care of 90% of the problem, as it seems to have done so far, I'll likely just keep the Dinan flash, since I've already paid for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 08:18 PM   #8
MsportyX35
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Its an absolute fucking joke that the Ultimate driving machine has this inherent MASSIVE throttle lag to save 1% on gas.

Infuriates me.
Indeed
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #9
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

My BMW dealer re-flashed my X1's transmission ECU when I complained about shift lag. They say the file was corrupted. Done under warranty. It is after all our family hauler. We don't drive the car too hard, but once in a while I'd give it the good 'ol Italian Tune-up.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 07:23 PM   #10
KWX1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive35i

These will blow your mind at removing built in throttle lag. See Link.

https://bimmian.com/Accessories-for-...ttle-Remapper/
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 01:19 PM   #11
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep

At this point I would go MHD once warranty is over or just leave it alone. $320 for the product listed above doesn't make much sense.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 02:33 PM   #12
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

@OP

The transmission in your car has electronic control module that has the ability to adapt to your driving style. In your case two people drive the car and I doubt both have the same exact driving style. So the transmission is adapting to the less aggressive one.

When you did the transmission adaptations reset procedure the module became "virginized" and will learn from that point. To me in that mode the car is way too "jerky" and I perform that only as part of transmission fluid change.

Also those adaptations are not used in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 01:08 AM   #13
Xdrive35i2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35I

I wonder if the OP is experiencing slow throttle response from the car adapting to low speed city driving and turbo lag. If you get a JB4, the newest firmware allows you to make the pedal input more sensitive and you can adjust the default wastegate position to allow the turbo to spool quicker. My X1 seems to be able to get off from a deadstop without discernible delays.
Mod List: Twisted Tuning MHD tune, XHP3, ER Charge Pipe, catless DP, ER Competition FMIC, Pure Stage 2 Turbo, PURE High Flow Inlet Pipe, ER Outlet Pipe, GFB DV (Plus), Gruppe M intake, Supersprint full exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 08:29 AM   #14
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1saster View Post
Maybe that's why I don't notice any lag. I use manual mode almost all the time with the Alpina flash and have never noticed any lag.
      09-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #15
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep

The only "lag" I feel is when I am almost stopped or I stop for a split second and then hit the gas. It feels like a clutch slipping in the transfer case or torque converter slow to lock up.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #16
jinda
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1saster View Post
@OP

The transmission in your car has electronic control module that has the ability to adapt to your driving style. In your case two people drive the car and I doubt both have the same exact driving style. So the transmission is adapting to the less aggressive one.

When you did the transmission adaptations reset procedure the module became "virginized" and will learn from that point. To me in that mode the car is way too "jerky" and I perform that only as part of transmission fluid change.

This is my experience. I felt the lag during my 1st week and then I just didn't notice it anymore. I actually forgot about it until I read the same issue here in the forum. It adjusted to my driving style in no time.

My wife actually complains about it when she has to drive it, saying its scary driving my car due to the power on the pedal compared to her CX9.