Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-06-2016, 09:42 AM   #1
DMac69
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 XDRIVE18D M SPORT

X1 2012 Heater Problem

Hi All

I am new to this forum so apologies if this not the correct forum to be posting this question, but I'm looking for some advice and see if anyone else has the same problem as I'm having.

Last year I purchase a used X1 (2012 X1 XDRIVE18D M SPORT) and although have been reasonably happy with it, there is one particular issue that has been an on-going issue since this was purchased and have never came across this in any other vehicle I have owned, including other BMW’s.

When the climate temperature is set via the Temperature control unit, the temperature selected is correct at the Window Glass and/or Footwell, area, however, the temperature blowing on the Upper Body Area is always colder and although this has not been an issue during the summer, during the winter months I have to ensure that the Upper Body Area is never selected as is too cold to drive comfortably.

I have reviewed the BMW User Manual and there is no mention of an expected difference in temperature in each of these areas, and have returned the car twice to the garage I purchased from, where I was initially informed that there was no issue or difference, but when pressed and took car back again, they did confirm that the technician found a difference in the temperature although was expected and was “perhaps a safety feature”, and on the invoice it was stated that “No defect found when checked heaters blowing as per characteristic of model design no fault found at time".

When I contacted them to clarify this characteristic I was told in an email that “This information was cascaded through the BMW Training Group Academy to our vehicle technicians, therefore we have no printed literature that we can provide“.

I have contacted BMW direct but they were of even less use and said I should go back to the garage I bought it from, but since I don't believe what they are telling me, i.e. the car has been designed to blow colder on Upper Body Area I thought Id try here first before going back to the garage.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be blowing colder on upper body but as expected on Window Glass and/or Footwell ?

Any help would be much appreciated

Regards
Drew
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 05:09 PM   #2
Kevman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 x30i

Same here. In my 2005 325ci, there is an adjustment dial for the center vents heat level. In the X1, its hot with temp at 84, and cool at 83 or less.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 04:27 AM   #3
GrantE83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevman View Post
In the X1, its hot with temp at 84, and cool at 83 or less.
I thought I was the only one

That makes me feel better
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #4
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

First, my salesperson at the BMW shop told me that the dash vents are deliberately cooler to help keep the driver awake.
Secondly, I get an occasional blast of cold air out of the dash vents as the car warms up; I think it is pulling in outside air. It has been especially noticeable in this current coldsnap.
I was also told that this was 'normal'; I'd still like the dealer to have a look at it,but we're out of time for our travels south.
Does setting the temp above 83 avoid the cold air blast?
Moon
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 10:58 PM   #5
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
First, my salesperson at the BMW shop told me that the dash vents are deliberately cooler to help keep the driver awake.
Secondly, I get an occasional blast of cold air out of the dash vents as the car warms up; I think it is pulling in outside air. It has been especially noticeable in this current coldsnap.
I was also told that this was 'normal'; I'd still like the dealer to have a look at it,but we're out of time for our travels south.
Does setting the temp above 83 avoid the cold air blast?
Moon
Change to recirculation instead of fresh air, you won't get as cold a blast.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Took my bride's X3 up to get gas on a 22* day, and experienced none of the symptoms; warm air very quickly, and no blasts of cold air.
Twix, I've tried that,(thanks) and it helps somewhat, tho' eventually it will fog the windows. I've also tried putting all the airflow on the floor, which does help, but why have automatic climate control if you have to fool with it all the time?
I've discussed the matter with my salesperson, who drives an X1 herself, and she's supposed to do some checking.
Happy for any other thoughts?
Moon
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 09:52 PM   #7
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Wow, I thought I was losing my mind. Why/When did BMW start doing this?

I'll still contact my dealer to see what their take on it is. I ALWAYS have the control set as "middle body" and found it ridiculous that it is cool air at 83 or less, but firey blazes from hell at 84.

When its at "lower body" or "Upper body" the heat works completely normally. So strange

| 3-IM | AA Headers | Eurocharged Stage-3 | BMW PI |
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #8
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

I think BMW reasons that defroster needs to be colder since hot air fogs it faster.

Sometimes one needs to run A/C on a coldish day to unfog windshield.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 11:21 AM   #9
y2k_o__o
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 Titanium Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevman View Post
Same here. In my 2005 325ci, there is an adjustment dial for the center vents heat level. In the X1, its hot with temp at 84, and cool at 83 or less.
my 2015 e84 also has this problem, it behaves like a on-off switch

below 84, it's just cold-warm
at 84, it's blowing hot air
Appreciate 0