XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-31-2015, 09:35 PM   #1
Zuerst
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive28i M

Additonal 900 miles on odometer after "repair"

So I took my mineral white X1 M trim in for repair after a truck with a front grill gashed/scratched the driver side rear quarter panel and rear door (while it was park... and I see it unfold in front of my eyes).

Took the shop almost a month (gave me the oh this is a special color and we need to take our time thing) and I finally get to pick up the car today. I rushed off to return the rental before they close (because this is the last day insurance will pay for rental). Now that I had more time to look over things, the odometer has an additional 900 miles. The back rear bumper on the driver side has a couple long scuffs and a faint dent on the mid region of rear bumper. The black gloss finish around where the driver and rear passenger door meets (window area) has swirl scratches from what appears to be motorized wax machine/pad. There is also some discoloration/scratch? to the underside of the passenger side panel/skirt.

Now they say they had to paint/finish the driver/front door as well to blend the color a bit better (and the color is not far off, though the paint/pearl effect is more coarse pattern than factory pain), and took off the side badges and that BMW sent them the wrong model side badges and for me to come back after they get the correct badges from BMW likely sometime next week.

I left a message about the scratches on bumper... oh and a big dead mosquito inside the driver side tail lamp assembly. Have not called to mention the 900 mile odometer discrepancy yet.

Now 20 or even 50 miles I can understand... but NINE HUNDRED MILES?!?!?!??? What the heck!!?!?!?!! What would you guys do in this situation?

Last edited by Zuerst; 07-31-2015 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
Carlin/14/E84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1 bmw

I saw in the news today

This lady took her Toyota car to the dealership for radio repair...left the car and when she came back to retrieve the car, she noticed her on dash video recorded that the car was driving by a dealer employee to a fast food restaurant, the guys home, plus went thru a red light etc. The lady showed the video to the manager in the dealership, they (Dealer) apologize and the offer to pay for the gas, or discount for labor/parts or buy her car back. The radio was never fixed.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 06:45 AM   #3
Bamsterman68
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 sDrive28i ///M-Sport

900 miles is very excessive! Do you have anything stating the miles before it when in for the work? Even though it was there for a month, to put 900 miles on it is the equivalent (for me) of daily driving the car to/from work. But you'll have to have something showing the miles BEFORE you left it with them. It'll be tough to fight that without that info
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
Gunric
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i ///M

They should have recorded the mileage when they took it in, but now that you have it at home for the weekend this is going to be difficult. If they are open today, I would get right back over there and go directly to the manager - not to accuse, but for you guys to figure this out together. If there was some sort of hanky-panky you'll discover it together and he'll feel like he wants to get to the bottom of it too.

Either way take a picture of the odometer now and send it to yourself or someone to establish the mileage at a certain given time and date.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 09:58 AM   #5
Zuerst
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsterman68 View Post
900 miles is very excessive! Do you have anything stating the miles before it when in for the work? Even though it was there for a month, to put 900 miles on it is the equivalent (for me) of daily driving the car to/from work. But you'll have to have something showing the miles BEFORE you left it with them. It'll be tough to fight that without that info
Yes, the invoice has mileage when the car was dropped off for repairs, which was about 900 miles less than when I pick up the car. I took picture of the invoice mileage and the current mileage side by side.

Obviously the scratches, mosquito in tail lamp housing, trim/wheel fender piece that is a bit off... etc needs to get fixed. And the rear the tires tread is worn more compared the front (I understand it's RWD, but tires were rotated)... and all those wax? finger print/goop on the interior

Now the question is do I want to offer the same shop that did this BS the chance to correct it, or bring it up with insurance to have another shop correct this? Ask for tire replacement in addition to the correcting the other issues? I guess I can always mention this to the local media should the solution not be satisfactory... Just though a BMW certified repair shop be better than this.

I have not contacted the repair shop yet about the 900 additional mile issue. Just want to get more input prior to doing that.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #6
Zuerst
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunric View Post
They should have recorded the mileage when they took it in, but now that you have it at home for the weekend this is going to be difficult. If they are open today, I would get right back over there and go directly to the manager - not to accuse, but for you guys to figure this out together. If there was some sort of hanky-panky you'll discover it together and he'll feel like he wants to get to the bottom of it too.

Either way take a picture of the odometer now and send it to yourself or someone to establish the mileage at a certain given time and date.
Yeah, took the side by side comparison of recorded mileage and pickup mileage yesterday about 1 hour after pickup with my phone camera, and screen shot the date and time on my phone as well. Unless I went 900 miles per hour in rush hour traffic, there is no way to account for the 900 mile difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #7
Dandaman184
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuerst View Post
Yeah, took the side by side comparison of recorded mileage and pickup mileage yesterday about 1 hour after pickup with my phone camera, and screen shot the date and time on my phone as well. Unless I went 900 miles per hour in rush hour traffic, there is no way to account for the 900 mile difference.
I notice your signature says Texas, mind sharing the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #8
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Someone used your car as a DD for a month while awaiting parts to come in. Call your insurance Co and let them know. If it comes to a court case, consider punitive damages for knowingly/willingly using your vehicle without permission. Anything over 20 miles is excessive...900 is ridiculous.
I'D BE PISSED
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 05:46 PM   #9
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
Rep
Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i M Sport

Agreed. I would send them a bill for $3400. 850 miles x 4 bucks a mile. Seems fair to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #10
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

I don't know about $3,400 but certainly .57 cents X 900 or $513 if the gov't allowance is still around .57 cents a mile. You could easily go to small claims court and saves you from the hassle of dealing with an attorney which would end up costing a lot more.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 08:24 PM   #11
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I would go to small claims court for the max limit in your area. Dealer will either not show up or settle for $500 less. You will probably walk off with a $4500 check.
Appreciate 0