XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

04-03-2023, 07:03 PM   #1
willyb9goodwin
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

2014 X1 P1290 Code - Wastegate Actuator?

Hi,

New BMW owner, I bought a 2014 X1 sDrive28i with 55,000 miles on it and I recently had the check engine lamp come on but would go away after turning it off. Now it stays on and service engine soon light is on, I believe it's in limp mode, power is reduced significantly. I checked codes and have p1290 showing. I'm getting conflicting information on what this code actually means. I'm thinking something with wastegate actuator. Has anyone else experienced this code? Is there a common issue related to it? I wouldn't have expected something too serious with only 55k miles. I've also read you cannot replace only the wastegate actuator and it would have to be entire turbo assembly. I have also read that you can replace wastegate actuator but it would have to be taken to a dealer to be relearned?

Any help or suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 12:01 AM   #2
eveoutlaw
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xdrive28i

Yes I replaced the Wastegate actuator solenoid but had to pay dealer to adjust or “learn” it & so far it’s still fixed
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 08:32 AM   #3
Portly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive28i, M2

I replaced my wastegate actuator solenoid in my driveway - it took maybe 90 minutes. Did not have to go through any relearning process, and the car runs great now - but eveoutlaw's experience may be more typical.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 10:15 AM   #4
wesleyfrommd
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

i also have a 2014 X! with the same issue. I need tyoget it fixed as quickly and economically as possible. The code reader pulls the P1209 code and when in limp mode it seems that the turbos are not working; I dont hear the "hisssss" of the turbos at all. Surprisingly, last night I went to the store, the check engine light was still on but I had "FULL POWER" and the turbos engaged as normal.

Could it be that the wastegate is getting stuck open or closed which casuses the reduced power?

I see that some people have replaced the westegate acuator and some say that they replaced the wastegate solenoid. What is the difference?

The dealer quoted me $550 for the new wastegate but said that they could not find a separate solenoid part or part number. Is the solenoid just a part of the entire wastergate or is it a separate part?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 08:16 PM   #5
Rake
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 xdrive28i

Exclamation P0243 - wastegate solenoid a malfunction

I had a similar issue, the code I was given was a P0243 "Wastegate solenoid A"
Here is what I learned about this issue.

There are two different methods to which BMW configures these vehicles
1. Pneumatic Actuator (uses air to actuate the WASTEGATE)

2. Electrical Actuator

It will look like one of these:

Name:  PNEUMATIC VS ELECTRIC WASTEGATE.png
Views: 491
Size:  292.1 KB

If your vehicle uses a Pneumatic Actuator: There is a part called a "Boost Solenoid" this is the "wastegate solenoid" they are referring to.
Here's how I understand it to work; The Boost Solenoid will detect when the engine pressure through vacuum lines. When that pressure is too high, or outside the tolerance, the boost solenoid redirects air to the Pneumatic Actuator to open the wastegate. Thus expelling the excess boost pressure.

THIS 'BOOST SOLENOID' UNIQUE TO PNEUMATIC ACTUATOR CONFIGURATIONS. You will NOT find it on vehicles equipped with the Electrical Actuator.

If you have a pneumatic actuator I recommend swapping the Boost solenoid. As its a simple change and relatively inexpensive for BMW parts. If you're up to it I also recommend changing this part yourself and saving a couple hundred bucks.
Here's a link to replacing the boost solenoid:

Here's a link to the part: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...rg-11747626351

If your vehicle uses an Electrical Actuator (Like my vehicle): I recommend changing the wastegate actuator. Its not super easy to access but can be done by only removing a small handful of components. I did this myself in my garage in a weekend. Keep in mind it was my first time working on this car myself but it was worth it. I was quoted $1000+ to change the part through a service shop. Ended up spending $300 for the part and about $100 for some tools I needed.

Here's a link to the part: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-11657638783kt

Heres a link to replacing the electric actuator:

Keep in mind with this replacement you will need to adjust the wastegate linkage once the new part is installed. Other wise you will throw new engine codes:
"002CA4: Electric wastegate, learning limit position cold start fault."
"002CAA: Electric wastegate, learning stop, stop position (wastegate Closed) outside tolerance"

I use my code reader to perform the adjustment. This service option will also tell you how far out of alignment your linkage is.

Here is a link to my code reader: https://amzn.to/3S7T9Vs

Here is a document that you may also find useful: Wastegate-Replacement-BMW-F30.pdf

Near the end of this document it shows you how to adjust the linkage to be within the tolerance BMW has set.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0