04-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Chrakaknox
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 35i M-sport

X1 35i or EVO X MR decision/feedback

Hi all,
I know these two vehicles are not usually cross shopped, however, my 335xi lease is up in 5 months and I'm considering both listed vehicles - turbo AWD 4-doors. I don't think that I want another 335xi..... any feedback is welcomed, thank you.

p.s. I'm excited that a good tune can really make the 35i move.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrakaknox View Post
Hi all,
I know these two vehicles are not usually cross shopped, however, my 335xi lease is up in 5 months and I'm considering both listed vehicles - turbo AWD 4-doors. I don't think that I want another 335xi..... any feedback is welcomed, thank you.

Not that I have a lot of experience with the Mitsubishi Evolution, but it's the Japanese version of a small GT. The key words being Japanese and GT. If you're big, it might be a bit cramped, but then again, the X1 doesn't have much room except for the front two seats.
The Evo might be the better car for eating miles on long trips, while the X1 excels at twisty roads and fun driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

I'd go drive the Evo if you haven't already. The ride alone is night and day over the x1. If you can handle the suspension and lackluster interior of the Evo, it's a fun car. Just to harsh and "boy racer" for me now that' I'm almost 40.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
Christian.F
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F97

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj View Post
I'd go drive the Evo if you haven't already. The ride alone is night and day over the x1. If you can handle the suspension and lackluster interior of the Evo, it's a fun car. Just to harsh and "boy racer" for me now that' I'm almost 40.
^^ This
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus
The Evo might be the better car for eating miles on long trips, while the X1 excels at twisty roads and fun driving.
Uh, the Evo is all about twisty roads and pretty much awful at highway driving. If you don't need the utility of the X1 or some of the creature comforts Evo all day long.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #6
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Uh, the Evo is all about twisty roads and pretty much awful at highway driving.
I thought it was awful at low speed driving and bumps, but got comfortable once up to speed?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
skylineguv
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Macan Turbo, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Uh, the Evo is all about twisty roads and pretty much awful at highway driving. If you don't need the utility of the X1 or some of the creature comforts Evo all day long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
I thought it was awful at low speed driving and bumps, but got comfortable once up to speed?

It's reasonable on the highway, but that's not it's forte by any means. It also has a fairly small fuel tank which can get annoying on a long run.

In all honesty, it's a vehicle that's hard to justify unless you try really hard. Utility wise it's far from brilliant. It's got a limited range per tank and is only marginally better than an X1 35i fuel consumption wise. The interior is basically the same as a $15k Lancer DE with the exception of some leather etc. It's really not that cheap and servicing the SST can get expensive.

BUT, it IS a fantastic, fun car to own. The SST is a good transmission. It's quick, agile, and just plain laughably good in winter conditions (when shod with decent winter tires obviously). It has a really nice balance to it's handling too.....not all front end push like a good number of similar cars. From time to time, I really do miss mine. I can't really put my finger on it, but it just felt good to own in spite of it's annoyances.

Last edited by skylineguv; 04-08-2013 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
Hi all,

The 335i is a 4 door, X1 is a 5 door.
Isn't the F30 an option?
Or the F31, the practical one?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

First post says he doesn't want another 335xi. The X1 at least has a smaller size than the F30 and F31, but really, if you want a sports car, the Evo will be much purer than either BMW. It may not last too long, and the manufacturer may not be in the US much longer though.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

To me it would depend how heavily you'd like to mod too. The X1 will top out around 390whp, but be very easy to get there (e85 or meth if you don't have e85, fmic, downpipe, tune). Total investment is just a couple grand.

The EVO has higher potential, but can get quite costly once you start building huge power.

Also, interior of the X1 is significantly nicer.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
Chrakaknox
Private
United_States
Rep

Wow, thanks for the responses. Looking to do tune + basic bolt ons only.. I'm going to set up a test drive in the next few weeks to drive the Evo. I've never actually driven an MR before....
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #12
Chrakaknox
Private
United_States
Rep

BTW, no e85 by me and I'm not willing to go the meth route. Tune/FMIC/DP/CAI is probably as far as I'd go ... I'll be 40 next year and I have the same 2nd thoughts about the Boy racer/kid car....
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #13
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

No personal experience in owning the EVO but I drove it.
I personally like the interior and the atmosphere in the X1 which is night and day in materials and fit and finish.
Handling wise, regardless the X1 is tight (or heavy in some opinions) I found it fantastic for me. EVO didn't impress me much especialy when it comes from a lower gravity vehicle than X1.
My friend had three major problems in one year with his EVO, one was a lot of work in the engine.

I am also very peculiar when it comes to quality and EVO is plain brute and ordinary, I have the impression that is build by using Tic-Tac plastic. Terrible.

Bottom line, I love my X1. A lot.

I don't know if you are taking in consideration resale value as well and market perception, X1 is new, EVO is old...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
Chrakaknox
Private
United_States
Rep

Yes, as we all know resale/residual value is a gigantic part of the lease equation....
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, as we all know resale/residual value is a gigantic part of the lease equation....
The X1 is a bit of an unknown on the resale value, but EVO's hold their value extremely well. With it's possible demise, it should likely do even better.

If you're looking for a raw, relatively unpolished trackable work horse, the Evo is your car. If you want a little more utility and a mild amount of polish, the X1 is likely a better choice. The Evo will run circles around the X1 on a track, comes with a more advanced awd setup, better tires, brakes and aftermarket support too.

This is a little like cross shopping a GT3 and a Cayenne Turbo. The can both do roughly the same thing, but they go about it in a wildly different manner.
Appreciate 0