09-14-2015, 03:07 PM   #1
kmpiotrowski
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

Garage List
How is the X1 in the snow?

I have had my X1 for a few weeks now and I am enjoying it. I live in New England so snow is an issue here, especially last winter when we got hit hard with storm after storm of deep snow.

I previously had a WRX and had to put snows on it. How are the OEM tires in the snow? I am hoping that I will not have to do the wheel swap routine twice a year as before.
Any experience share is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
PleaseAdvise
///M-Sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 2.8 M-Sport LMB on CR

Hello there Neighbor Well I equipped a set of winters and had a blast in the blizzard! I was in MA at the time and it was alot of snow. I did have a day where I DID NOT equip the winters and it snowed like crazy. It was dangerous to say the least however I was also using the summers. It was was like having 4 soap bars for tires. I would recommend snow tires FOR SURE. Ive ran them in all of my cars and honestly its worth the money not to get in an accident for lack of grip.

Also considering this is my pic from last winter.......

You would be crazy to not buy snow tires.....Just in case we have 5 ft of snow or so xD

Also This was my setup from last year. I daily drove it until I was sure this winter was REALLY over. ASA GT10's with pirelli sotozero's which were FANTASTIC.

Last edited by PleaseAdvise; 09-14-2015 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: Added pictures for refrence
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2015, 06:19 PM   #3
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

We ran our all seasons for two winters. Last winter was a non-winter so it was not a big deal. They are down to about 5/32 so we are putting the winter tires on this year that is if we get snow. But we also got new wheels so the swap is easy.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 06:24 PM   #4
603X1
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1

We got our X1 at the end of December and it survived that nasty winter just fine.If I can find a deal on a winter tire package i'll pull the trigger for sure but otherwise it does great in the white stuff.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2015, 01:09 AM   #5
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Winter tires are always your friend. I have a set of Blizzak WS70s on factory wheels. Car is unstoppable. It's not the snow I worry about, it's the ice under it.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 12:26 PM   #6
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Yes, absolutely get a set of good winter tires given the past winter we had. Hope you got the cold weather package.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
kmpiotrowski
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks all for your input. I saw some good packages on TireRack. My X1 is the Msport with heated seats but not cold weather package. I have 18" all seasons on it (the stock wheels and tires).
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 10:40 PM   #8
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

If you're going to keep the car for any period of time, get the winters on rims; it's money well spent. I have Blizzaks for mine and love them. It's my intention to get tire stems this winter, and I'll want to ask some questions here in that regard.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 08:45 AM   #9
wombat7
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 35i

I went from a WRX to the X1 MSport as well!

The WRX is probably the most fun car I've ever had when it came to driving in the snow. There was so much you can do in a car like that without really getting yourself in too much trouble. The X1 is great, but very different. It is extremely capable in the snow, but it is much more difficult to get the 4 wheel drift going that comes so easily in the WRX.

I had Blizzaks on both and will always have them on any car I own from this point forward.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #10
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

For any given car, your braking in snow is only as good as your tires. A lot of AWD SUV drivers seem to miss that point.

Having said that, I've got a new set of Dunlop Winter Sport 4D's in the garage waiting to go on my stock rims right now. I go with the winter sports rather than the more extreme studless-type snows because I keep them on for 6 months out of the year (November - May). The sports do better in rain and dry conditions than the studless types, though they are not quite as good in deeper snow and ice. Since I have them on for so much of the year, the vast majority of my driving with them will be in dry/wet conditions or on plowed roads. So the sports will be better most of the time, and will still be serviceable in heavier snow.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 01:26 PM   #11
bananabun
Captain
Rep
Drives: E86 M, E92 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpiotrowski View Post
I have had my X1 for a few weeks now and I am enjoying it. I live in New England so snow is an issue here, especially last winter when we got hit hard with storm after storm of deep snow.

I previously had a WRX and had to put snows on it. How are the OEM tires in the snow? I am hoping that I will not have to do the wheel swap routine twice a year as before.
Any experience share is appreciated
Same here! Went from WRX wagon to N55 X1 about 3 months ago. I may have a little faith in the all-seasons, but I know that Blizzaks really made the WRX so much more fun and safe in the snow. Will be getting a new winter set as soon as I can convince the gf that it's a good investment.

BTW - does anybody know where to find steelies? I had 17" steelies on the WRX as winter wheels and they looked absolutely great. Also cheap and good.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 06:53 PM   #12
Redsoxx1918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

As long as you have experience driving in the snow, you'll do just fine with the all seasons. I mean, winter tires are awesome. I drove my RWD 330i and Z4 through a couple of winters with Dunlop Wintersport M3s. With the winter tires, they plowed through deep snow with no problem. I'm in RI, so I was there with you last year when we got crushed with snow. I have the sport line with the 18" Pirelli all seasons and I have to say, my X1 was unstoppable last winter. I actually couldn't believe how good it was. I work in Corrections and can't stay home because of a blizzard. I drove through some nasty storms and some pretty deep snow. I drove a lot of steep hills and unplowed back roads. The x drive worked as advertised and the little extra ground clearance helped. Of course, if you feel like dealing with it, winter tires are always better....but if you have experience driving in the snow, you'll have no issues.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #13
kmpiotrowski
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thank you all for your words of wisdom! I am happy to see a few former WRX drivers on this thread. I had studless winters on the WRX and it was amazingly fun to drive in the snow. I would find excuses to leave the house during blizzards just to drift the corners.

I guess my X1 won't be as much fun, but it's a more sedate drive in general. I think I will try out a storm or two with my all seasons and make a judgement call.
Appreciate 0