08-17-2010, 05:11 AM   #23
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by senwar View Post
What michelins are they and how much if you don't mind me asking?
Hi Senwar,

Prices in the UK are for my tyre size 225 50 R17

Its the Michelin Pilot Alpins @ £190.

They are a wee bit pricey, mainly because you have to stick to runflats (if you have ordered this option with the car) Non-runflats are £50 cheaper.

To make life easier I would also suggest you get them on separate rims. Steel rims are fine if you want to do some offroading in winter which would right off a set of alloys. Snow chains are not good for alloys!

There are some others available as well, eg

Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip @£146
Bridgestone Blizzak @£170
Dunlop SP Wintersport @£150

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #24
DavidKinMingChan
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Pretty much cannot tell the difference on normal dry roads. You need to be on a very slippery (wet/ice/gravel) surface before the 4x4 kicks in. The X1 has dynamic variable torque distribution between front and rear but is actually rear wheel drive until needed. It can tranfer all of the drive to the front though in exceptional circumstances. Unless you can see yourself in conditions where you would need this the SDrive should suite most people. I cannot discern any difference in handling between the two.
Thank you for your information. BTW my X1 will not come with xeon light (it is an option in Hong Kong). Do you know what kind of light will it come with then?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 02:12 AM   #25
senwar
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 x20drive

Quote:
Hi Senwar,

Prices in the UK are for my tyre size 225 50 R17

Its the Michelin Pilot Alpins @ £190.

They are a wee bit pricey, mainly because you have to stick to runflats (if you have ordered this option with the car) Non-runflats are £50 cheaper.

To make life easier I would also suggest you get them on separate rims. Steel rims are fine if you want to do some offroading in winter which would right off a set of alloys. Snow chains are not good for alloys!

There are some others available as well, eg

Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip @£146
Bridgestone Blizzak @£170
Dunlop SP Wintersport @£150

Hope this helps
Thanks for the info. I might see how I go on this year and decide from then on (mine are 18's so I expect dearer).

Why do you need to stick with run flats by the way? I've got non RFT's on my 1er coupe - swapped over from RFT's in March this year.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 02:55 AM   #26
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I might see how I go on this year and decide from then on (mine are 18's so I expect dearer).

Why do you need to stick with run flats by the way? I've got non RFT's on my 1er coupe - swapped over from RFT's in March this year.
Good question. The guy at the tyre dealership said that normal tyres do not work with the pressure monitoring system. I can see this but if you change your rims does this still apply? Don't know
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 02:58 AM   #27
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKinMingChan View Post
Thank you for your information. BTW my X1 will not come with xeon light (it is an option in Hong Kong). Do you know what kind of light will it come with then?
The X1 comes standard with Halogen lights.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 03:09 AM   #28
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10

Quote:
Pretty much cannot tell the difference on normal dry roads. You need to be on a very slippery (wet/ice/gravel) surface before the 4x4 kicks in. The X1 has dynamic variable torque distribution between front and rear but is actually rear wheel drive until needed. It can tranfer all of the drive to the front though in exceptional circumstances. Unless you can see yourself in conditions where you would need this the SDrive should suite most people. I cannot discern any difference in handling between the two.
As far as I know, the car always goes 4x4 between 30 km/h and 180 km/h. Can anyone confirm which is true, I was told so by the sales representative.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 03:14 AM   #29
senwar
Private
Rep

Quote:
Good question. The guy at the tyre dealership said that normal tyres do not work with the pressure monitoring system. I can see this but if you change your rims does this still apply? Don't know
You have to reset the monitor but it does work.

Obviously sticking with RFT's is better on an RFT car (as you should always be mobile), but I would have thought part of the problem of the 'slippability' (not even a word!) is that the RFT's are harder tyres if you get me. I never got round to getting a spare solution for mine - was just going to buy a BMW tyre weld kit.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 03:37 AM   #30
DavidKinMingChan
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
The X1 comes standard with Halogen lights.
Do you have any pic of those? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 03:40 AM   #31
DavidKinMingChan
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
I think it is because there is no spare tyres in X1.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 03:58 AM   #32
senwar
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKinMingChan View Post
I think it is because there is no spare tyres in X1.
There isn't in my 1 series - you just either get a space saver or the BMW tyre weld kit (or equivalent). The best option is to get a BMW one, as if you ever had a problem requiring recovery you could show you have the right kit
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 05:37 AM   #33
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozdal View Post
As far as I know, the car always goes 4x4 between 30 km/h and 180 km/h. Can anyone confirm which is true, I was told so by the sales representative.
Yes, over 180km/h it is rear wheel drive only. I think the under 30km/h figure is wrong as most 4x4 funtionality is required at low speeds. Very tight cornering (eg full lock) also disables it. As I said in my post but perhaps did not describe it very well is that it is a 4x4 but dynamic as required. In normal conditions its rear wheel biased.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 05:57 AM   #34
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
You have to reset the monitor but it does work.

Obviously sticking with RFT's is better on an RFT car (as you should always be mobile), but I would have thought part of the problem of the 'slippability' (not even a word!) is that the RFT's are harder tyres if you get me. I never got round to getting a spare solution for mine - was just going to buy a BMW tyre weld kit.
Thanks, did not know about the resetting option. Not sure I understand your "slippability" though. RFT ride harder as they have thicker tyre walls but the rubber compound is the same as normal tyres. The problem with "normal" tyre compounds (RFT and non-RFT) are that they get harder as the temperature drops. Tyre manufacturers generally regard 7C (44.6F) as the dividing line between winter and summer tyres. Below 7C normal tyres get very hard with a corresponding reduction in traction. Winter tyres have a higher proportion of silica content keeping them "soft" at colder temperatures. A common misconception is that winter tyres are for snow and ice, which is not strictly true. They are for low temperatures which up here in Scotland means anything from November to March every year. The tread patterns are however also optimised for driving in very wet weather or snow. Of course they get softer as the temperatures go up as well which means you need to change them again for summer. Traction on ice requires studs (which are illegal in the UK) or chains/cables (illegal on dry roads).
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 06:08 AM   #35
senwar
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, did not know about the resetting option. Not sure I understand your "slippability" though. RFT ride harder as they have thicker tyre walls but the rubber compound is the same as normal tyres. The problem with "normal" tyre compounds (RFT and non-RFT) are that they get harder as the temperature drops. Tyre manufacturers generally regard 7C (44.6F) as the dividing line between winter and summer tyres. Below 7C normal tyres get very hard with a corresponding reduction in traction. Winter tyres have a higher proportion of silica content keeping them "soft" at colder temperatures. A common misconception is that winter tyres are for snow and ice, which is not strictly true. They are for low temperatures which up here in Scotland means anything from November to March every year. The tread patterns are however also optimised for driving in very wet weather or snow. Of course they get softer as the temperatures go up as well which means you need to change them again for summer. Traction on ice requires studs (which are illegal in the UK) or chains/cables (illegal on dry roads).
I'm led to believe that the tread pattern of RFT's (certainly the ones I've got), cause problems and are slippier on wet/ice etc. I also believe this is due to the harder side walls of these tyres
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 07:10 AM   #36
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I'm led to believe that the tread pattern of RFT's (certainly the ones I've got), cause problems and are slippier on wet/ice etc. I also believe this is due to the harder side walls of these tyres
OK, I plan to test things up north this winter and will let you know how I get on. For the really rough stuff I will use a set of chains anyway, just a pain to put on and take off everytime you hit a dry patch.

Last December I did quite a lot of miles in the American Rockies in a normal 2x4 325i with a set of SCC snow cables. No problems at all on ice and up to about 18" of snow as long as you take it slow.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #37
senwar
Private
Rep

Quote:
OK, I plan to test things up north this winter and will let you know how I get on. For the really rough stuff I will use a set of chains anyway, just a pain to put on and take off everytime you hit a dry patch.

Last December I did quite a lot of miles in the American Rockies in a normal 2x4 325i with a set of SCC snow cables. No problems at all on ice and up to about 18" of snow as long as you take it slow.
Think I'll hang on for your review then. Down in Sheffield we don't get it that bad - however, I couldn't even get off my own (flat) drive one day during the snow snap here in January. Very annoying. Even got stuck on some ice in a car park and had to be dug out.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 07:35 AM   #38
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Think I'll hang on for your review then. Down in Sheffield we don't get it that bad - however, I couldn't even get off my own (flat) drive one day during the snow snap here in January. Very annoying. Even got stuck on some ice in a car park and had to be dug out.
What helps for a few yards is if you carry some strips of carpet offcuts in the car. I have a set about 6ft long and 18" wide. Just roll them up and keep them in the boot over winter. when you are stuck, unroll and stick the end under you drive wheels. Works like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 07:42 AM   #39
senwar
Private
Rep

Quote:
What helps for a few yards is if you carry some strips of carpet offcuts in the car. I have a set about 6ft long and 18" wide. Just roll them up and keep them in the boot over winter. when you are stuck, unroll and stick the end under you drive wheels. Works like a charm.

That's a great tip!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #40
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Just an update... My dealer has informed me that mine will be here on the 20th September Thats about two weeks earlier than expected.
Appreciate 0