XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

N20 engine

So my 35i was in for oil change and got a 328 xdrive. I know people beat on loaners but the engine in sport mode sounded like a lawn mower. Is this normal? Even in comfort mode the engine was not smooth.

My thoughts overall is that there is no doubt the engine got some go. Decent fit and finish on the interior. I do not like the instrument cluster design as it looks so plain. Handling is great but steering is numb and you have no idea what the front wheels are doing. I like the revised I drive as it is simple and intuitive now. The vehicle had 17s so ride quality was good and road impacts were largely suppressed given the higher ratio sidewall on the tires. I like the new interior lights and how they fade. there's definitely more soft touch materials inside than our X1s. transmission being an 8speed keeps the engine humming...er mowing in the sweet part of the band. Don't like the shifter. I prefer a nice PRND basic shifter. Strange pressing a button to park.

Also drove Audi A4 with 2.0T and engine is smoother and better sounding. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't N20 to be replaced with next gen 4cylinder turbo perhaps with further tweaks.

Overall its a nice vehicle with engine in need some refinement.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
No complaints here about the smoothness of the four pot. It doesn't sound really awesome, but much better than a lawnmower or even most japanese cars.

Also, my interior lights fade out rather than just turn off.

I test drove a 435i a few weeks ago just for fun and I noticed that the EPS was really numb at low speeds, but once I got over 80km/h (50mph) the wheel got nice and heavy, although there wasn't much feel of road surface. You could still throw the car around with some confidence even with the lack of feel. Would be nice to be more mechanical, but that's what we get in today's day in age, sacrifice everything for fuel economy.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero-2-sixty View Post
So my 35i was in for oil change and got a 328 xdrive. I know people beat on loaners but the engine in sport mode sounded like a lawn mower. Is this normal? Even in comfort mode the engine was not smooth.

My thoughts overall is that there is no doubt the engine got some go. Decent fit and finish on the interior. I do not like the instrument cluster design as it looks so plain. Handling is great but steering is numb and you have no idea what the front wheels are doing. I like the revised I drive as it is simple and intuitive now. The vehicle had 17s so ride quality was good and road impacts were largely suppressed given the higher ratio sidewall on the tires. I like the new interior lights and how they fade. there's definitely more soft touch materials inside than our X1s. transmission being an 8speed keeps the engine humming...er mowing in the sweet part of the band. Don't like the shifter. I prefer a nice PRND basic shifter. Strange pressing a button to park.

Also drove Audi A4 with 2.0T and engine is smoother and better sounding. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't N20 to be replaced with next gen 4cylinder turbo perhaps with further tweaks.

Overall its a nice vehicle with engine in need some refinement.
N20 engine is awesome and I prefer the shifter. Looks cooler and easier to use. You just turn off the engine and the car goes into park automatically.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
Kennyboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 Xdrive 28i

The N20 will be replaced in as soon as 2 years by the B series engine I heard.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyboy
The N20 will be replaced in as soon as 2 years by the B series engine I heard.
Yes it's going to be replaced with the B48, I believe the F30 will be the first with it in the LCI
Appreciate 1