Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

12-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
radu7
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

Cannot update software / Telephone menu not present

Hello,

I'm a fresh owner of an X1 from 2010 with Pro Navigation system who's having a hard time with connecting a telephone to the car's system.

Basically, my car's missing the "Telephone" section of the menu.

So I started reading online and managed to get to https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html, entered my VIN and good news, there's an update for my car's software.

I downloaded that piece of update, put it on a pen drive and inserted that into the USB port within the glovebox, the only one the car has actually.

Online I managed to find out that I should go to Settings -> Software update to run the update... but guess what? My car does not have the "Software update" section within the Settings menu.

My question is: is there's something wrong with my car? Is there any DIY solution for this particular situation I'm facing?

I look forward to be a part of this community and hopefully I'll be able to contribute as much as possible in the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 04:15 AM   #2
falconey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 f80cs, 21 f97

Sounds like you don't have bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 04:36 AM   #3
radu7
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconey View Post
Sounds like you don't have bluetooth
That may be the case, yet by using my car's VIN on the BMW site I managed to get the software update that's meant for improved bluetooth usage.

And the other thing is I don't have the "Update Software" option under the Settings menu.

I posted hoping someone else faced a similar issue before and could help a bit figuring out how to deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #4
falconey
Captain
Rep

The x1 is a bit weird in that based on year model, it may be difficult to really no which entertainment unit you have. With that said if you don’t have a telephone menu and probably no Bluetooth option, no software update will change that. Search google for a BMW vin decoder and see if you have the Bluetooth option installed in your vehicle. My assumption is you don’t and it could be that the 2010 model year does not have the update option and you would need to go to a dealer for the update.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
mradyali
Registered
Rep
Drives: x1 2011

i have the same issue with my X1 2011, i have the Bluetooth option and the telefone menu, but no "Update Software" option under the Settings menu.

is this can be activated by a secret menu code or something else ?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 02:57 AM   #6
radu7
Registered
Rep

Thank you falconey! I'll probably have to check with a dealer but indeed this is extremely weird.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 07:17 AM   #7
falconey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mradyali View Post
i have the same issue with my X1 2011, i have the Bluetooth option and the telefone menu, but no "Update Software" option under the Settings menu.

is this can be activated by a secret menu code or something else ?
If you don't have the update software option, I'd suggest going to the dealer. Unfortunately it might come with a cost, but they can update for. Or if you have knowledge of coding BMW's there may be a solution for you to diy. Search the e90post forums under the audio/electronics/coding forums. Lots of info on coding there.
Appreciate 0