Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

12-19-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
Frouss
Rep
Drives: Sedan

AC turns on by itself

Hi,

this is about 2017 BMW X1, before taking the car into service i want to hear your opinion.
Since it's fall and fairly pelasant outside, i keep temperature on dials to 16 C but do NOT turn AC nor do i put it on AUTO.
As far as i know, such settings should bring aer from outside and not cool it at all. This works most of the times, but once in a while i feel AC kicks in and cold aer coming through the vents.
Hard to pinpoint what may trigger the AC to kick in, anybody knows why AC could come ON vy itself?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 03:42 PM   #2
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

It is a common misconception that AC (Air Conditioning) means cold air. Air condition works along side the heating system by removing moisture from the air. This can be used to quickly defrost windows. I have noticed that at random times when I fumble through the climate control that the AC will turn itself on. I have not cared enough to determine which settings turn AC on by default. It sounds to me like it is working as BMW intended. As for cold air blowing through that should be determined by your temperature setting. If it is set to a higher temperature and is still blowing cold then you have an issue and should have the service department look into it. There is a thermometer in the car and if the inside temp is close to the temp set on your climate control the car may blow cooler feeling air as the temperature differential isn't far off.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0