XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #1
Drlu23
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 x28i; 328iX; X5 35i

Bilstein shocks and struts vs OEM

Is it worth getting Bilstiens vs just using OEM M-sport shocks when lowering using H&R springs?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Tough to say what's "worth it" or not. Have you ever been on monotube Bilsteins (HDs, etc.)?

They will certainly improve handing, and give you a very controlled feel. Compared to something like a Koni yellow, the HD's feel "stiff". Meaning, they offer a lot of road feel. You feel the small bumps, which leads some people to describe them as harsh. However, IMHO (and that of my wife) they are not harsh at all. Quite the opposite. They give you a tank-like feel. No crashing over large bumps, never bottom out, etc.

I'm a convert fro Koni adjustables, and will put them on all my cars whenever possible.

Generally speaking, shocks/struts are much more important than springs regarding overall handling. So I'd never tell someone to NOT buy good dampeners if they're considering them. Absolutely. However, if ultimate softness/isolation is your priority, I wouldn't necessarily recommend monotubes.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
Drlu23
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 x28i; 328iX; X5 35i

Thanks for the feedback. I am getting ready to install the H&R springs but have been considering installing the Bilsteins as well than using stock M-sport shocks and struts.
Appreciate 0