XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

Fog lights

How do you like the fog lights, do they work well? When I look at the X1 relative to other cars I've had with fogs they seem to be kind of high, and in NorCal I actually do find good fog lamps useful. Has anyone replaced the bulbs yet?

Also would love to see any pics of them at night.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

I just wish they were selective yellow. Function over form.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i M version 2013

I think I'm changing mine to yellow later on down the road....
http://www.bimmian.com/Xenesis-Yello...for-BMW-E84-X1
      11-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Higher lights are actually better IMO, especially if they're white. Lights closer to the ground often concentrate most of their lumens(illumination) 10'-20' infront of the car, far too close to be useful when driving actually, but the lowered fog lights are a look that's popular. Color matters more for actual vision in fog than any height would.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx1 View Post
Higher lights are actually better IMO, especially if they're white. Lights closer to the ground often concentrate most of their lumens(illumination) 10'-20' infront of the car, far too close to be useful when driving actually, but the lowered fog lights are a look that's popular. Color matters more for actual vision in fog than any height would.
I think you misunderstand the function of front fog lights. They're not intended for (and indeed, in many countries are illegal for) normal visibility driving.
They are not meant to illuminate more than a few feet in front of the vehicle. They're meant for pea soup conditions, not light haze. They light up areas very close to your car, so you can find the road while driving slowly. Yellow lights do this better, by providing a higher contrast and less reflection.
If they go farther than 20', you have a big problem, in that you will illuminate the cloud of fog in front of you, and see even less in the conditions fog lights are meant for.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Didn't misunderstand... But it's all opinion and preference. First, white fog lights are pretty much worthless IMO. Most manufacturers do fog lights at all for style, not function. I hope BMW did the height for functionality and not style but since they're white I'm already questioning function. But anyway...

In my experience, fog lights under about 18" off the ground typically will focus most of their lumens 2'-10' in front of the car and are wasted as the driver can't see that close due to the hood or it's not useful at more than 5mph and in if it's that bad you shouldn't be driving. Due to DOT requirements of downward lighting angle and avoiding fog lights causing problems for oncomnig traffic you can only illuminate further down the road by increasing the height of the light. My preference for fog lights are most lumens focused about 20'-40' ahead, still allowing you to see at 1mph in the worst of fog to get off the road but in mild fog at 20mph.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
bill1963
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw x1

Hi guys, can you install aftermarket xenon fog lights on the 2012 bmw x1?
Appreciate 0