Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #23
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 S20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchaebabe View Post
This is why I immediately swapped to normal tyres from run flats. Just too many stories of the tyres wearing well before one would expect them to and I don't have the time or inclination to be anal about checking the pressure twice a month as recommended.

My car came with RF P7s and I swapped them for Non RF P7s
Did you felt any diference when switching to Non RFT? Did the car get more confortable? What's your tyre measure?

Regards
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #24
Kwagga
Registered
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d X drive

I have some interesting feedback.

The BMW dealer (in particular the manager responsible for the dealership fleet) response:
* the 25K km is normal for RF's,
* recommended Bridgestone RF's according to his experience.
* In his private capacity not shy to suggest the option of changing to normal radial tyres with the spare kit. As such suggested Bridgestone or Michelin.
* Rotation of tyres should be done although the owner's manual states that the manufacturer does not recommend rotation.
* One should do a thorough inspection of the tyres on a regular base
* Changing to non-RF's does not affect maintenance plan/guarantee.

Tiger Wheel & Tyre franchise observation/recommendation:
* Rotation of tyres is a must (front to back and vica verca)
AND left/right
This is recommended due to the negative camber of the tyres (which explains the shoulders on the inside being worn badly.
*Also suggested the option of normal radial tyres with the prospect of more mileage.

I have opted for the Michelin Primacy HP and spare tyre option.
Interestingly there is a long waiting list for the X1 spare tyre kit on back order.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #25
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwagga View Post

The BMW dealer (in particular the manager responsible for the dealership fleet) response:
* In his private capacity not shy to suggest the option of changing to normal radial tyres with the spare kit. As such suggested Bridgestone or Michelin.
* Rotation of tyres should be done although the owner's manual states that the manufacturer does not recommend rotation.

AND left/right
This is recommended due to the negative camber of the tyres (which explains the shoulders on the inside being worn badly.
*Also suggested the option of normal radial tyres with the prospect of more mileage.

Interestingly there is a long waiting list for the X1 spare tyre kit on back order.
Interesting comments by your dealer. I know you guys do a lot of miles in SA so I suppose it's important. Me, I would go for the tyre that gives the best grip and handling. Not saying it's the Pirellis, just saying I am happy with them as a summer tyre.

On the last point, you don't need the BMW kit. It's bloody expensive and all it consists of is a wee electric pump, tyre goo and a valve key. I got the same at the local car spares place for 70% less.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 06:38 AM   #26
bacchaebabe
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive23d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeins View Post
Did you felt any diference when switching to Non RFT? Did the car get more confortable? What's your tyre measure?

Regards

I literally drove from the dealer to the tyre place which was only about 3-4 kms away so didn't really notice any difference with comfort. I have 17inch wheels.

I didn't change the tyres for the comfort issue, just the maintenance and cost ones. It certainly seems to drive and handle fine with the non run flats.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 06:44 AM   #27
bacchaebabe
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive23d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwagga View Post

AND left/right

The rotation recommendation is interesting. I thought the tyres were different sizes at front and back so they couldn't be swapped around. Stand to be corrected though.

I also don't understand why swapping left to right would make any difference either, even with a negative camber. They'd still wear on the inside unless you actually turned them around on the wheel, even on the same side - can you do that? Do tyres have an inside and an outside? Is this a stupid question? That implies there are left tyres and right tyres. I'm just confusing myself now.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #28
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchaebabe View Post
The rotation recommendation is interesting. I thought the tyres were different sizes at front and back so they couldn't be swapped around. Stand to be corrected though.
Some of the optional 18" alloys are wider rear vs fronts. 255 vs 225? maybe
Appreciate 0