XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #67
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Loads of interesting comments on this thread. For what its worth my rather amateur take on things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post

new Cajun (which will be smaller than a X3).
I have been following the development of this car closely as I think it potentially may best match my requirements over the next few years. I have yet to see accurate dimensions but I do know its roughly comparable to and based on the Audi Q5. If this is true it would make it about the same size as the X3 albeit slightly wider and a wee bit shorter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarktii View Post
I am really encouraged by the fact that it is selling like hotcakes in Europe because previously, BMW did not think SUVs were for Europeans.
This model strikes as the common ground for both continents.
An enthusiast SAV - not too big - keep it lighter - not too expensive.
Dial in the styling and I will be beaming...
Yep selling like hotcakes in Europe as you say, long waiting lists. I am not sure if its true for everyone in the UK but the main reason I went for it are:

1. 4X4 for:
a. Safety, we have a lot of wet roads here.
b. Snow/Ice, we have had a bad winter and I believe more to come. Also I venture into the Highlands from time to time.
c. Bad roads, as everywhere our inner city roads are deteriorating at an alarming pace. I feel safer going through them in something with a bit more clearance.

2. Size:
a. Big enough for a small family, ie 2+1
b. Small enough for our narrow roads and tiny parking spaces.

3. Driving experience, it handles better than anything similar I test drove.

4. Economy:
a. Low emissions means it cheap to tax here in the UK. Our vehicle tax is based on CO2 output. Not sure what the USA average is but anything over 255g/CO2 would cost the equivalent of $1600 for the first year and $600py thereafter.
b. I get between 38 - 56 mpg.

5. Performance, the 2.0d is plenty for the UK.

Now I suspect that many in Europe would have reasons similar to mine. How many of these would be applicable to the average premium SUV buyer in the USA? Not all I suspect, particularly those relating to size as most of your roads are nice and wide and generally in good repair. Also I am not aware that you are penalised (other than at the pumps) for driving high emission cars. Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-2002on View Post
... guess the Q3 will beat it to the best market it would have had ..
I tend to disagree, they sold over 100 000 X1's in Europe in the first 9 months. Wonder how many they are selling in SA/Oz/Asia? Must be more than the expected 10k for the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
... I really do think that the margins on this vehicle are just not very high especially when compared against the X3, and thus they would rather just sell us all X3s over here....
Mmmm been wondering about this as well. In the UK its about 15% cheaper than the equivalent 3-series, yet they are of similar size/platform etc. Maybe a bit down in quality on some materials but cannot see how this can make up the price difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWB1873 View Post

As was said somewhere else, were it to. Be made in the us, then that would remove both transport and capacity, however I imagine tooling up a factory isn't a few week process, especially if it wasn't intended or planned originally.
No way they will build the X1 in the USA, its too far from the primary market and if they expect to only sell 10k of them locally. The new x3 and 3-series is far too important, they are/will be built locally first, if at all.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #68
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockenpaul View Post
BMW's O'Donnell Says X1 SUV Will Come to U.S. in 2012:

http://news.hereisthecity.com/2011/0...to-us-in-2012/
Hoping "2012" means MY 2012. My SA told me today production would be available this fall, but of course that must be taken with a pound of salt as SA's are usually clueless in my experience. Didn't try to sell me an X3, though, so maybe...

And it's encouraging that the X1 has been approved by CARB in both 2-liter xDrive28i and 3-liter xDrive35i versions. Doesn't mean they have to bring it to market, but it's an awfully good sign.
Appreciate 0