XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

10-31-2021, 01:58 PM   #1
backslashv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Competition

Rear brake pad light came on for the 2nd time

Hi,

An OBD diagnostic reveled that the cause for the dash light is the wear on the rear pads. The 1st time this light came on a few months ago, I ran the diagnostic and it said the same thing. I opened the wheel and looked at the pad, and there was a lot left. So, I cleared the error and the light went off. A few days ago and after driving ~800 miles the light came on again. I thought now's the time to replace the pads. I opened the wheel again and there is still a lot of pad left ~5mm. You can see the
View post on imgur.com
. The light isn't turning off this time after cleaning the error.
Two questions:
1) Why is the car warning me this early?
2) Do I really have a 2-stage wear sensor? Is it a thing?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 07:13 AM   #2
4_ring_circus
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Corrado, Audi S4, X1 128xi

Have a look at the pad that is on the inside. The inner pad always wears faster since that is the side that the piston is on. The other issue could be the sliders sticking causing the inner pad to wear down faster.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 07:20 PM   #3
backslashv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4_ring_circus View Post
Have a look at the pad that is on the inside. The inner pad always wears faster since that is the side that the piston is on. The other issue could be the sliders sticking causing the inner pad to wear down faster.
Thank you for your suggestion. The inner one is indeed thinner, but it still has about 4mm of pad left. Don't you think? Is the slider the part that houses the pads? If yes, it came off without much force.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 06:48 AM   #4
4_ring_circus
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Corrado, Audi S4, X1 128xi

I circled the slider in your pic (sorry for using your image). These should slide in and out with a little resistance, it should just be the rubber boot holding them from sliding. On all my cars I clean and re-lube the sliders every time I have the caliper off.

Appreciate 0