XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
Sledge
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 X-drive 20d

I´m in love with my new winter car

Today we get 15 cm of snow and its -10 degrees celsius and the snow plow is nowhere to see.

I live in a steep hill and most cars has to give up half way and reverse back down.

Took my new X1 2.0d x-drive for a spin. Stopped half way up the hill - still had no problem getting all the way up. It felt almost too easy. I love my new winter car

Sledge
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

Good to hear- that's the winter car I want if we ever get it here in the states...nothing but empty promises from several auto makers so far- (Subaru and Honda are you listening?) I've been waiting what seems like eternity for an AWD diesel 4-cyl. to tackle my driveway (known by some as the double diamond) as well as my 80 mile daily commute. How's your fuel comsumption so far?
2009 Montego/terra 128i 6MT (ouch)...great car
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
OliNZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMWx1

Nice , I m getting the 2.0d in 2 days too, what sized wheels are u using ?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Attached Images

11-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
John Cooper
driver
Finland
Rep
Drives: e84 (X1 Xdrive20dA)& e70 (30d)

Garage List
Thumbs up Love mine too

Yesterday -20 degrees celsius and my X1
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Do you plug it in when it's that cold ?
      11-30-2010, 04:24 AM   #7
senwar
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 x20drive

Been out in mine for the first time in an absolute shocker of a snow storm by UK standards.

The roads were terrible, cars abandoned, everything around me skidding.

The X1 was fantastic. I bought it for this very reason and it hasn't disappointed. Brilliant stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 04:46 AM   #8
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

It's always a great experience driving a 4WD in the snow for the first time.
As a friendly reminder to avoid overconfidence in your vehicle, keep in mind that SUV and 4WD drivers are usually the first ones to go off the road during snow storms.

I remember an Ontario Provincial Police Constable saying on the radio a couple years back during a heavy snow storm over the GTA, that the first calls for assistance they get are always from 4WD motorist who ditched they cars or hit another vehicle after failing to stop or even slow down.
      11-30-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
aris
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive 23d

Garage List
nice pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
Sledge
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
Good to hear- that's the winter car I want if we ever get it here in the states...nothing but empty promises from several auto makers so far- (Subaru and Honda are you listening?) I've been waiting what seems like eternity for an AWD diesel 4-cyl. to tackle my driveway (known by some as the double diamond) as well as my 80 mile daily commute. How's your fuel comsumption so far?
Fuel comsumtion is 7.2l l/100km
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #11
Sledge
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliNZ View Post
Nice , I m getting the 2.0d in 2 days too, what sized wheels are u using ?
225/50 R17 on winter tires. 18 on summer
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #12
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

I agree, absolutely amazed about the performance of my X1 in 30cm + of snow this last week. I have normal all weather 225/50/17 tyres on my XDrive and have not had any hint of a problem on powder, slush or ice.

Seriously, stunned to say the least. Oh and I also live up a very steep hill.

I think the only thing that would stop my X1 in the snow is if its too deep and you start ploughing.

PS: Don't have a pic with the X1 in it but these were the conditions at the house yesterday !

Name:  DSC_6460.JPG
Views: 1648
Size:  42.8 KB
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela

Last edited by mario486; 12-02-2010 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 02:54 AM   #13
senwar
Private
Rep

Mario - same kind of conditions here in Sheffield (apparently the worst snow fall we've had for 100 years). And I actually don't think we'll get anything worse again.

Echo everything you've said. I've been out again in mine a few times, in worse weather than when I posted originally and I am over the moon with the performance. Even had a bit of a play around in the wife's work empty car park. lol.

Extremely impressed.

Have had 2 4x4's before but actually never had weather this bad, so for the 'baby' X1 to perform as it has, well I'm just well chuffed.

Standard 18 RFT's on mine by the way.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 03:03 AM   #14
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

"Standard 18 RFT's on mine by the way"

"Standard" as Summer, regular original tires ?
      12-03-2010, 06:39 AM   #15
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
"Standard 18 RFT's on mine by the way"

"Standard" as Summer, regular original tires ?
Not sure if its the same everywhere but my standard tyres are in fact "all season" tyres, not summer tyres. Did not specify them spesifically. I was also thinking about changing the to winter tyres until now. Does not seem necessary, however I am going to order a set of snow chains for when I go up to the ski slopes later in the season. No matter what tyres you have, hard ice and a steep hill would still cause problems.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #16
senwar
Private
Rep

Gate - not sure if they're all weather as mario mentions his are if I'm honest.

They are the standard, original tyres that came with the Y wheel option - the BMW site lists this as:

Quote:
Y spoke style 322 8/9Jx18 (S02LH)
2LH 18" light alloy Y-spoke style 322, with mixed tyres, 8 J x 18" wheels and 225/45 R 18 run-flat tyres at the front, 9 J x 18 wheels and 255/40 R 18 run-flat tyres at the rear.
Appreciate that doesn't help however!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #17
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Thanks man.
They seem to be regular summer tires, 4 season being usually marked "4S" or "M+S".
      12-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #18
BigDave
Certified
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 20d MSport Auto

Question Winter Tyres debate

Hi all you BMW lovers out there.
I am a newbie so go easy on me. I have owned RAV 4's for about 7 years now & my latest one is now over 3 years old. Didn't want to get a new one as I don't like new grille. Ordered 18d x drive in October & should pick it up at end of the year. My RAV4 has all season Yokohama tyres and they are brilliant in the white stuff. This was my only concern when ordering the X1 & my salesman couldn't help. He hadn't a clue what type of tyres would come with the car but assured me their X1 demo had no problems last winter. I think the X1 has all season Continental tyres but I am not 100% sure. In Auto Express magazine they did a test of winter tyres along with an all season tyre & a summer tyre. The summer tyre was terrible in the snow however the all season was not far behond the winter tyre. If your car has all season tyres there is no need to fit winter tyres.

Before I ordered my X1 I read all the threads on it & made up my mind from these. So thanks to all of you who made good comments about the X1. Can't wait till mine arrives.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #19
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Hello Big Dave, welcome to the forum.

Yes indeed, X1s come equipped with Continental Summer tires. Thanks for your feedback about all-seasons... Very interesting.
      12-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #20
John Cooper
driver
Finland
Rep

Garage List
Exclamation

4 season / all season / "M+S" is not anykind of standard. Comparing to Nordic Winter tyres with or without studds they all are kind of summertyres (usually lower "speed class" than tyres without that mark). If you live in a country where you have quite often snow or ice on streets, I suggest using real Winter tyres. In Nordic countries we have to use them if we like to drive on winter (dec-jan-feb is a must and nov->apr You may use them here in Finland). I personally use Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 studded tyres in size 17" 225/50 RF.

btw. this company Nokian Tyres used to be part of Nokia which made mobile phones, computers, cables, tyres and rubberboots
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #21
John Cooper
driver
Finland
Rep

Garage List
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post

Do you plug it in when it's that cold ?
I use motor and interior heaters, but X1 works well even without. It is more ecological question for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #22
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cooper View Post
4 season / all season / "M+S" is not anykind of standard. Comparing to Nordic Winter tyres with or without studds they all are kind of summertyres (usually lower "speed class" than tyres without that mark). If you live in a country where you have quite often snow or ice on streets, I suggest using real Winter tyres. In Nordic countries we have to use them if we like to drive on winter (dec-jan-feb is a must and nov->apr You may use them here in Finland). I personally use Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 studded tyres in size 17" 225/50 RF.

btw. this company Nokian Tyres used to be part of Nokia which made mobile phones, computers, cables, tyres and rubberboots
Hi JC, unfortunately studded tyres are illegal in the UK. Basically here we have 3 options:

Summer tyres, which are a harder compound with a tread thats optimised for grip and water dispersion. Some are slicker than others.

All season tyres which generally have a slightly different tread pattern to allow for increased grip in more slippery conditions. Some (eg Pirelli) are also of a slightly softer compound.

And lastly we have winter tyres (also called Mud & Snow) which have a much higher silica content which allows them to remain softer at temperatures below 7C. This improves grip, braking etc and they generally have a tread pattern thats optimised for mud and snow traction. They are still quite rare here although I think that after this winter drivers will be taking them more seriously.

If conditions are bad enough, eg in ice, then we have to use chains in the UK which are also very rare, even up here in Scotland.
Appreciate 0