Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

08-30-2020, 08:36 AM   #1
OxfordTheCat
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 E84

Main DME Relay K6300

Hi there.

Having a no crank, no start issue that I've been battling.

Changed battery and starter.
The battery power distribution box, checked all the fuses in the fuse box.

Looking up the fault code it indicates that its DME implausiblity open, and indicates that I should change the Main DME Relay.

However, for the E84, the main DME Relay K6300 is indicated to be at a spot about the black 50g relay on the actual fuse board. I had assumed this meant it was behind it, but looking online, there are no relays connected into the rear of the fuse box.

Does anyone know how you replace the DME Relay on the E84?
I can't wrap my head around this one?
Surely I don't have to remove the fuse box, remove every relay or fuse and un screw it, and put a relay actually inside the plastic housing of the fuse box?

Any and all suggestions welcome.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #2
OxfordTheCat
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 E84

Update

In case anyone else is in a similar boat:

Managed to find the issue.

I had previously tested the grounds with a length of cable, but on a lark, connected up jumper cables to the earth post in the passenger side, as well as latching on to the hole at the top of the alternator and clamping on the engine near the throttle body:

Car started.

Jacked the car, dropped the underneath shield(s), and found a shredded green earth cable.
Can't seem to find information online about the second earth cable on the block that other model BMWs seem to have, but from a very long visual inspection looking top down, and under the car, it seems that this is the only ground strap on the vehicle.

I've retrofitted an additional ground from by bolting into the hole available on the alternator, and connected it into an existing ground post (small, and painted, curiously) just about the driver's side wheel well. Also replacing the cable in the factory location with another generic ground strap from Amazon, along with a doubled and braided length of copper wire sourced from ground cable from a length of standard home wiring cable I had laying around.

I'll update with pictures in future.

Interesting, as the problem behaves like a typical battery/starter issue, but I didn't get the DME fault codes in my OBD2 program and BMWLogger under after I had replaced them. They are no longer there, and are entirely caused by the failure of the ground strap.

Updated here in the hopes that someone else will not have to go through the wild goose chase that I went on:

When encountering suspected battery issues, or a seeming no crank starter issue - first verify that the grounding is still intact by connecting a jumper cable from the empty hole slot on the top of the alternator (forward of the positive connection), to the earth post / frame on the passenger's side above the wheel well
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 02:02 AM   #3
evan9203
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxfordTheCat View Post
In case anyone else is in a similar boat:

Managed to find the issue.

I had previously tested the grounds with a length of cable, but on a lark, connected up jumper cables to the earth post in the passenger side, as well as latching on to the hole at the top of the alternator and clamping on the engine near the throttle body:

Car started.

Jacked the car, dropped the underneath shield(s), and found a shredded green earth cable.
Can't seem to find information online about the second earth cable on the block that other model BMWs seem to have, but from a very long visual inspection looking top down, and under the car, it seems that this is the only ground strap on the vehicle.

I've retrofitted an additional ground from by bolting into the hole available on the alternator, and connected it into an existing ground post (small, and painted, curiously) just about the driver's side wheel well. Also replacing the cable in the factory location with another generic ground strap from Amazon, along with a doubled and braided length of copper wire sourced from ground cable from a length of standard home wiring cable I had laying around.

I'll update with pictures in future.

Interesting, as the problem behaves like a typical battery/starter issue, but I didn't get the DME fault codes in my OBD2 program and BMWLogger under after I had replaced them. They are no longer there, and are entirely caused by the failure of the ground strap.

Updated here in the hopes that someone else will not have to go through the wild goose chase that I went on:

When encountering suspected battery issues, or a seeming no crank starter issue - first verify that the grounding is still intact by connecting a jumper cable from the empty hole slot on the top of the alternator (forward of the positive connection), to the earth post / frame on the passenger's side above the wheel well
Did you manage to find a dme relay (k6300) on the e84 X1? I realize you found your problem elsewhere, but did you find a the k6300 on your X1? I'm having trouble locating it too.

Last edited by evan9203; 07-22-2021 at 02:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 02:43 PM   #4
chance91
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335d

The other thing I'd mention, is I've seen this happen from people working under the hood and shorting to the Jumping lug/starter post on the passenger's side of the engine bay.

If that happens, it will take out the built in fusible link on the battery. You can test htis with a testlight.
2005 MX-5 LS swap
Appreciate 0