XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
ddavid1101
Rep
Drives: X1

Rear Facing Child Seat and Stroller in Trunk

Hi everyone,

I'm located in the US but want to order an X1 ASAP through ED. I want to do it before they arrive to show room in 2 months. I'm also planning to start a family within the next year or so.

A couple of questions to the parents out there with new born:

1) Do you have sufficient room for a rear facing child seat?
2) Do you have to move the front seat forward to accommodate for the child
seat? (I'm 6'2)
3) Is there sufficient space in the trunk for the stroller along with other stuff
such as groceries etc?

Does anyone have pictures they can post of child seat and stroller placements? Thanks everyone! Hopefully I can pull the trigger soon!

David
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport 28i

David,

I'm in the same boat as you. (I have a two week old right now). If you take a look at:

It looks like there will be plenty of room for a rear facing seating. On top of that, the trunk is larger than a 1 Series (which is what I have) and a stroller fits fine (Baby Jogger City Mini) in my trunk.

Here is a photo of a rear facing seating in my 128. I'm 5'10.

I can only imagine that the X1 will provide a bit more space in the rear (now, not the same size as a X5 or current X3) since it's based of the E90 chassi.

You can also take a look at: http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708958 for a video walk-around..

The 128i does a good job to be honest, the X1 would do a better job though.

Last edited by mabrahams; 06-27-2012 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
ddavid1101
Rep

Thanks for the pics mabrahams!

Looks to fit pretty well. I'm flying to Toronto tonight so I'll be able to test one out in person even though it wont be a US model. If all goes well, I'll be placing an ED order shortly.

A friend has a Infiniti EX and that's just tiny and dont have much trunk space. I guess I'll find out soon enough!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep

David,

Let me know how it goes and your thoughts..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
ddavid1101
Rep

Just got back from just viewing a couple of cars. Went to compare the folllowing:

X1, X3, GLK, Q5, SC60, CRV, Infiniti EX

I put infiniti on here because my friend has one and he's got a new born. I have been in his car a couple of times and the stroller barely fits in the car with little room for other things.

X1 is just between a wagon and a SUV. good head room(I'm 6'2) both front and back.

Trunk space is decent. Surface area is similar or a bit smaller than Infiniti but height is about double so that's good. Capacity is smaller compared to other SUVs but should do what we need it to do for now.

Front seats are comfy and I can fit in fine. I can adjust the driver seat to what I like and I went to the seat behind it, I can just fit in. I think I can last a good 3-5 hour trip in there. there looks to be plenty of room for a child seat.

This car is really for my wife and she's 5'6 at 110lb so it will still feel big but not too big to scare her when driving(feel like driving a truck).

We currently have a 5 month old Hyundai Sonata and it's really big. I think we are good for a good 2-4 years with 1 or maybe 2 kids. If anything, I can trade in my sonata for a bigger SUV and treat the X1 as the sedan.

Our goal was to look for a good SUV with really good milage. Currently, only CRV but thats not even a new engine. X1 is attractive because:

1) new engine and tech 24/33 in the US (vs all others at mid 10s/20s)
2) it's a BMW
3) we can do ED, my wife wants another trip to Europe and I have always wanted to do ED since I met someone from LA in Munich who was doing their ED back in 2007
4) It's dirt cheap assuming I can do ED invoice +500-1000 therefore around 27.5-28K USD (Only 4-5K away from CRV)

I'm going to go test drive it tomorrow/Saturday. I think we are going to be set on it. Even though my wife has not seen it and is back in Texas. Should be fine, at 27-28K for a BMW, you cant go wrong + a road trip in Europe!

Thanks for the pics and support mabrahams. I'll keep you posted on the test drive. Though I doubt I will be disappointed.

I do hope it has some good sound/vibration dampening(general quiet cabin). Also, Dallas highways are concrete and not ashefalt so you can hear a lot. I can feel each bump/crack etc on my Sonata(combination of lack of sound proofing, sports suspension and 18' alloys).

Fingers crossed, ED Sept/Oct!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep

My brother and I did ED last July. It's well worth it. Munich and the surrounding areas are really nice. The factory tours (even though it's not built at the Munich plant, it's still amazing to see the process) and the Welt are sure well worth the trip.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
w*
Rep
Drives: x3

Hi david,
I'm in a very similar situation as you. Looking to replace my 09 328 with an x1 in the hopes of more cargo space. I still can't really get my head around the cargo space. I'm assuming it will certainly accomidate more than my 328. Would you say that a stroller would( easily) fit in the trunk? Along with other stuff? Groceries, a golf bag etc.

Thanks so much. Also what were your test drive impressions?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
ddavid1101
Rep

Hey W,

I'm a bit on the fence now. I was in Canada for the past couple of days and sat in a bunch of cars listed above.

If you have not had a chance to sit in one, it's very similar in spacing as the Infiniti EX. Cargo space in width/length is just about the same(X1 is a tad smaller than EX) but EX has height in cargo up to the privacy screen of about 1 feet or so. The X1 is about 1.5-2 feet. Another post here has the exact measurements. It can fit a stroller no problem, and prob some groceries on the side and maybe on top of it.

I personally feel that the Q5 would be perfect, but the milage is just not up to par.

I drove the new 328 and X1. Both performed very similar. I find the interior finishing not as good as the new 328. It's got a tad more road noise than the 328.

My other observation is shockingly, the new 328(2012) got more seating room with the exception of headroom than the x1. The trunk on paper is bigger than X1. the area(width by length) is bigger than X1 with only X1 beating it out with height(trunk height).

I feel I'm truly looking for a x3,q5,GLK type of a car. A car that my family can grow into. I feel that the X1 is just a tad too small, it can at best be a family car far a baby for 1-4 years then it can be treated as the commuter. I think the other's I have listed above can really be used and grow into for a long time. But none of them meets my requirement of good milage(all being about 2/3 the X1). The other benefit is the price, it's dirt cheap compared to the competitors. I plan on doing ED on this and it should come out at 28K(ED Invoice + 500-1K).

I think if I go for this, I need to understand that at best, this will be good as the primary family car for 3-4 years after which it will be treated as the commuter/secondary car.

I'm really on the fence now. It's cheap, it's BMW quality, road trip in europe cheaper than a 3series wagon or the EX or 328, but upgrade will be required in 3-4 years. It's really a a tad tall 3 series wagon. height would be the difference would be half the difference between the wagon and X3.

Let me know your thoughts. What are you thinking of? How many kids do you have or plan to have? Will this be your primary car(road trips, family trips)?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 04:27 AM   #9
w*
Rep
Drives: x3

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have no kids, but planning on starting a family in the next 1-2 years? We live in NYC so only use the car for weekend road trips. 328 on paper has a decent trunk, but the trunk opening (in my 09)is fairly small, wedging my golf clubs in takes some effort. My assumption is that the x1's tailgate opening(and height as you mention)will help me there. Also being able to put seats down expands the options. You'd agree it's more versatile than a sedan? When trunk space is listed in cubic feet is that only up to the privacy screen? Or the roof?

What do you mean by more seating room? Rear legroom or the front seats? They improved rear space in the new 2012 328 which I was hoping would translate to the x1 as well.

Also how would you compare the x1s ride/road noise to the x3? I was fairly unimpressed with the x3s ride during our test drive, but I consider the ride/lack of road noise a main reason to pay up for BMW. The ride on or 40k miles 328 is still fantastic.

I'm a bit on the fence as well. I agree with the mileage being important, I also have an additional factor in that the garage I use will charge me more for the x3 or probably all of the other cars you mention. So it seems silly to make that step up given that the x3 is bigger than what we'll need for at least the
next 2-3 years or so.

Based on what I've read elsewhere I think you're right that the x1 isn't a long-term family size car, but I counterweight that with two thoughts. 1) It's
hard to buy any car with the assumption you'll use it for the next 8 to 10 years(with the side note that if that is the plan then mileage is even more important) 2) as our family grows and we move to the suburbs presumably becoming a two car family, we could get an x3 or whatever to complement this as a daily commuter or something along those lines.

Truthfully I'd rather wait 6 months to a year and see how the x1 pans out, but
I'm getting a very fair trade in for my current car that will start to fall fairly quickly I think.

My dealer has assured me that if I place an order and don't like the car I can just walk away, so I'm fairly sure I'll place the order by the end of the week.
But as someone who is looking for a car with similar attributes it worries me that you've gone from being very gung-ho to on the fence.
Thanks for all your thoughts on this.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
ddavid1101
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by w* View Post
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have no kids, but planning on starting a family in the next 1-2 years? We live in NYC so only use the car for weekend road trips. 328 on paper has a decent trunk, but the trunk opening (in my 09)is fairly small, wedging my golf clubs in takes some effort. My assumption is that the x1's tailgate opening(and height as you mention)will help me there. Also being able to put seats down expands the options. You'd agree it's more versatile than a sedan? When trunk space is listed in cubic feet is that only up to the privacy screen? Or the roof?

What do you mean by more seating room? Rear legroom or the front seats? They improved rear space in the new 2012 328 which I was hoping would translate to the x1 as well.

Also how would you compare the x1s ride/road noise to the x3? I was fairly unimpressed with the x3s ride during our test drive, but I consider the ride/lack of road noise a main reason to pay up for BMW. The ride on or 40k miles 328 is still fantastic.

I'm a bit on the fence as well. I agree with the mileage being important, I also have an additional factor in that the garage I use will charge me more for the x3 or probably all of the other cars you mention. So it seems silly to make that step up given that the x3 is bigger than what we'll need for at least the
next 2-3 years or so.

Based on what I've read elsewhere I think you're right that the x1 isn't a long-term family size car, but I counterweight that with two thoughts. 1) It's
hard to buy any car with the assumption you'll use it for the next 8 to 10 years(with the side note that if that is the plan then mileage is even more important) 2) as our family grows and we move to the suburbs presumably becoming a two car family, we could get an x3 or whatever to complement this as a daily commuter or something along those lines.

Truthfully I'd rather wait 6 months to a year and see how the x1 pans out, but
I'm getting a very fair trade in for my current car that will start to fall fairly quickly I think.

My dealer has assured me that if I place an order and don't like the car I can just walk away, so I'm fairly sure I'll place the order by the end of the week.
But as someone who is looking for a car with similar attributes it worries me that you've gone from being very gung-ho to on the fence.
Thanks for all your thoughts on this.

I just moved out of manhattan in January, relocated to Texas for work.

The most important difference between me and you, is you are trading in your car, which means you will have only one after this purchase with an option to buy another once you move out of the city. I bought a 2012 Sonata in January and the next car(X1 or something else) would be my second/go to family car. Sonata has more interior space and cargo than the X1. You can treat the X1 as your sedan/commuter for now and get a bigger one in 2-3 years time. Which I think would be perfect for you. I need the family car now and X1 prob wont hit the spot, I might have to trade in sonata in a couple of years and get something bigger.

I do think new 328 has more room(leg,shoulder,hip,etc) both in front and back than the X1 with the exception of headroom(but not by much). I believe the cargo space is determined up to privacy screen. I do agree the X1 is more versatile as you can stuff the cargo hold to the roof if you ever needed. Another thing, I dont think you can fit a set of golf clubs in the X1 without folding down the second row. You might want to check out the measurements. Didnt look like it to me. I believe the X1 is based/built off of the 3series wagon frame which I think is smaller than the new 328.

I think I have to look around. maybe at a CRV or the new Ford Escape etc where it's just bigger and still got good milage. I just wish one of the midsize lux SUVs have updated their engine and milage already. Looks like first one up is GLK with Diesel mid next year followed by X3 in 2014, but nothing within the next little bit.

For you, got for X1, it is a good choice if you only have one car for now. Get something bigger later(X3 or what ever). X1 is cheaper than 328 but more versatile. And you wont get that "SUV/Van" surcharge at NYC garages. I think for you, it's perfect for what you need right now.

Let me know your thoughts. Did you negotiate a price on the X1 already? What did they quote you?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

Great thread, thanks for all the info. I also have the necessity for a rear facing car seat.

If I purchase an X1, I will need to fit, at the very least, a fold up stroller and a large baby bag in the cargo area. Have not yet seen the real deal, but its looking very much like cargo space is about the same as in my e90. (minus the height advantage)

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #12
ddavid1101
Rep

Numbers on paper looks just about the same size as the 3 touring. X1 beat it by headroom and but touring beat X1 on cargo by a bit. Touring cargo is longer and wider but overall does not have the height.

Shockingly the cargo space is smaller than the new 328.

If you are looking for a wagon, this would be a good choice. height of X1 is actually right between Touring and X3 (about 160mm taller).

I'm actually in the process of elimination with my wife on different SUVs and different classes. We are looking at:

CR-V (I like the size and price but dont like the old engine/gearbox etc)
Ford Escape (wife loves the size, I dont like the build, cheap, interior space is just a bit bigger than X1 by the numbers but trunks is almost double the X1)
CX-5
Kia/Hyundai
Waiting for new Hyundai Santa Fe Sport to come out, looks like a beauty but it's even a tad bigger than CR-V

We will check out a couple of these this weekend and will stop by BMW and try out the Touring to see if she likes the idea of it but 5 inches taller.

We drove a 2013 Escape mid level trim going for 28K, I can probably get base X1 ED Invoice + 750ish and come out at 28K. No brainer for the price to go for X1 in that scenario.

Lets see what the wife says
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #13
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavid1101 View Post
Numbers on paper looks just about the same size as the 3 touring. X1 beat it by headroom and but touring beat X1 on cargo by a bit. Touring cargo is longer and wider but overall does not have the height.

Shockingly the cargo space is smaller than the new 328.

If you are looking for a wagon, this would be a good choice. height of X1 is actually right between Touring and X3 (about 160mm taller).

I'm actually in the process of elimination with my wife on different SUVs and different classes. We are looking at:

CR-V (I like the size and price but dont like the old engine/gearbox etc)
Ford Escape (wife loves the size, I dont like the build, cheap, interior space is just a bit bigger than X1 by the numbers but trunks is almost double the X1)
CX-5
Kia/Hyundai
Waiting for new Hyundai Santa Fe Sport to come out, looks like a beauty but it's even a tad bigger than CR-V

We will check out a couple of these this weekend and will stop by BMW and try out the Touring to see if she likes the idea of it but 5 inches taller.

We drove a 2013 Escape mid level trim going for 28K, I can probably get base X1 ED Invoice + 750ish and come out at 28K. No brainer for the price to go for X1 in that scenario.

Lets see what the wife says
When my e90 lease is up I will likely consider the base X1 x-drive, Grand Cherokee and Highlander. I know, apples to oranges. Looking forward to checking out the X1 when it hits dealers in a couple months. But cargo space may be an issue.

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
ddavid1101
Rep

Interestingly enough, we went to BMW in Dallas on Saturday and they had like 1 of maybe 3 X1 on display for only that day(before being shipped back to Georgia). Wife liked it. She liked the size and drivability of it.

We will take a look at a couple more cars in the same size range before deciding on pulling the trigger on it. ETA will be within 2 weeks.

Also discovered a near by dealership(Oklahoma City: 3 hour drive) that worked with someone else on another forum for ED Invoice + 1K but for a 335. Hopefully he can do something similar for X1.

I was told by dealer in Dallas that they did ED too on X1 and it was not part of their allocation and ETA on delivery would be late august/early sept for July production slot. Bottom line is Delivery to the dealership would be end of Oct/beg of Nov.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #15
ddavid1101
Rep

FYI, for people who can wait till next year. new 3 series touring looks big and really nice.
Appreciate 0