Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
bukusuma
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: X253, W205

Removing X1 Rear Speakers Shelf

Hi,

I'm planning to change the speakers on my X1. While there are posts here and videos on Youtube about removing the door trim and changing the front speakers, I've found none on the rears.

Anybody with experience on removing the rear shelf trim to access the rear speakers on the X1? How easy/difficult was it?

Thanks lots!

Bram
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

I think you would just need to remove the rear felt sides. They come out by pulling in and removing a plastic pop-in retainer at the very back and the lower tie down (front, lower). That should give you access to the speaker. I don't think you actually need to remove the rear shelf but I think once the side panel is removed, the bolts are there.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
bukusuma
Indonesia
Rep

Themishmosh,

Thanks for the advice. Will try to get it done this weekend...

Bram
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Another tip: check out schematic at realoem.com. After you select your model, go to vehicle trim/luggage compartment.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 02:26 AM   #5
bukusuma
Indonesia
Rep

Yup, have done so :-)

Thanks again,

Bram
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #6
Can_Car
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive28 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukusuma View Post
Hi,

I'm planning to change the speakers on my X1. While there are posts here and videos on Youtube about removing the door trim and changing the front speakers, I've found none on the rears.
I recently upgraded the front speakers and briefly considered replacing the rear speakers but will not bother for a few reasons. First, for people in the front seats, 99% of the sound is coming from the front speakers. Yes you could adjust the fader controls to compensate but the default setting doesn't use those rear speakers for much other than the parking distance sounds.

The second issue is that those rear speakers are really too far back to really add much sound quality given that there are no speakers in the rear doors (at least in my X1) to "fill in" the overall sound.

2015 X1 Valencia Orange, M Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #7
bukusuma
Indonesia
Rep

Managed to change the speakers in the front doors and in the rear shelf.

The front doors' mid range and tweeters are done in about 1 hour. I put in the Focal IFBMW-S kit in place of the OEM ones.

Replacing the rear speakers needs more work. themishmosh was right. I didn't need to take out the top shelf plastic cover as the speakers are screwed from the bottom, and the screws are accessible from the side felt coverings. The key for taking out the side felt coverings is to first take out the black plastic Loading Sill Cover. Once it is out of the way you can then take out the side felt coverings easily provided you've released the clips holding it in place.

I used the Focal IFBMW-C kit to replace the rear speakers. I needed to cut away the ears (screw holes) on those Focal speakers, and drill new holes on it for it to fit and aligned with the existing screw holes.

My wife's X1 now sounds so much better. Better bass and so much more clarity, especially on the mid and high frequencies.

Thanks for the tips.

Bram
Appreciate 0