Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

BMW style 405 M 20" on (E84) X1 xdrive23da

Hello fellow X1 owners, my name is Bart, 32 years old, living in Belgium.
Never actually introduced me but time to time I have a look at this X1 forum.

Since 10/2013 I own a X1 xdrive23da, bought it from BWM Premium Selection, the car is actually from 05/2010 and almost fully loaded, I was just looking for leather, Xenon, Navi, xdrive, automatic gearbox and the biggest diesel engine, the 1st owned had good taste and allot of money apparently and I did a good deal.

With 260hp and 470nm it isn't 'wow' but sure it is fun to drive.
Already got the yellow light out off the interior, fog light and Angel Eye’s. All nice white color now.

Coded some things like auto mirror closing (1 second long push on button, no mirror close on normal push), digital speed on display and stupid noise for belt buckle (I use it but not when I only need to drive 2 streets here) and no DVD protection so passengers can look DVD when I am driving.

Car had the DPF removed, rear silencer has just inox tubing inside instead of the crap and the 200hp is bumped up.
Twin turbo (diesel) has a nicer sound now, extra power and torque is nice to have and the trottle respons is less laggy. Debadges the 'X1' and 'xdrve23d' emblems ass well.

The car is still on it stock 18" rims and stock suspension.
I want bigger rims for looks, will keep 18" the rims for the winter.
I want a sport suspension, not only for the looks but also for safety.

For the sport suspension I think I have all the information needed, I will go for de Bilstein (Eibasch) B12 kit since this lowers the car with 30mm, is just fine for xdrive and has the same sport/comfort feel as a M suspension (what doesn't lower your car).

For rims many people as do BMW say's 'go for stock rims. Problem there, not many choice and maximum rim is 19".

Now, here I go with my question for you guy's and hopefully you could give me some good news/experience.
Will the BMW style 405 M Performance 20" rims for a F30 F3x fit on my car?
Same question for the 433 M 20" rims from the M6 Grand Coupé (perhaps the front rims x 4).
I know I will need to work with spacers and people already advised me (if it fits) to for 20mm spacers so the ring in the center will fit nicely, this also works with 2 half’s and so double bolts.

Not sure I will go for run flat tires since many people say they’re hare and the comfort and safety is less than normal tires.

Info 405M:
Specification front:
8Jx20
ET36
BMW artnr 361122219604
Most used rubber 225/35/20

Specification rear:
8,5Jx20
ET47
BMW artnr 36112219605
Most used rubber 255/30/20

Stock:
Front and rear:
8Jx18
ET30
225/45/18

I found " http://www.willtheyfit.com/ " to calculate the ET fitment.
I hope someone here already came on the idea on putting 405 M’s on he’s X1 and actually did it and has experience with it. Don’t need to hear 20” is too big, BMW tuners mount them (but they don’t sell my taste.

My first choice where the 433M’s from the M6 Grand Coupé but they do not fit with 9,5J front and 10,5J rear. Was thinking to go 9,5J all round then but they will sure be (to) heavy for the xdrive, don’t wane mess up the gearbox. Small and lightweight 405 M’s are a better choice if it is possible.
But if anyone here tried the 433M’s on he’s X1 and is happy about them, please share your experience and some pictures.

Kind regards,
Bart
Attached Images

Last edited by BeemerX1; 02-08-2014 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
GTony
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 F25 XDrive 28i M Sport

Hi, 23da - What does the - a - stand for? With 260hp and 470nm, does it have a chip installed?
What is DPF and Rear Silencer inox tubing. I was told the Diesel exhaust has a filter to stop to much black smoke coming out the back and it was hard to get a better sound from diesels. With all the Diesel Performance Motors available these days you would think there would be people out there that would know about all diesel modifications.
Sorry I cant help with Rims. My 20d has standard 17x7.5"and I just got 18x7.5". Although they are the same as your stock ones except only 7.5"wide they ticked a huge amount of boxes, style, looks and road conditions etc. I was told by BMW that the maximum on front is 8"but there are Forums here that put much larger on the front.
TRY - X1 DIY, X1 modification thread and X1 Photos which have some 20" fitments. Also Official LEMANS BLUE X1 Photos Thread has some good wheel and suspension comments.
As you are probably aware most comments are for Petrol Motors.
Look forward to your comment on extra power and exhaust systems.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i m sport

hi iam running on the front and rear of my x1 m sport 9"x19 style 225 rims 15 mm spacer and 255-35/19 tires the rims have a et39
      02-08-2014, 06:32 AM   #4
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Thanks for the information both off you,

The 'a' is silent and not mention on X1 badges, I know, just a way for me to mention it has a 6 speed automatic gearbox.

Yes, the diesel is chipped after the exhaust changes and sport air intake filter. The gearbox only allows around 480-500nm on the automatic 6 speed so upgrading turbo(s) and intercooler wasn’t a option.
Sport air filter replacement doesn't do much but hey, it was 4hp and I can clean it instead to buy a new stock one every couple of service maintenance.

DPF is removed, well, actually all the crap is punched out and replaced the inside with a inox tube. Off course the EGP and DPF is cancelled in the ECU (by the chip).

Same go for the rear silencer, the chambers zigzag crap is punched out and replaced by inox tubing. DPF is just to get on euro norms and CO² regulation but it costs the owner a lot to replace, it eats hp and so gas. The silence ‘junk’ not only eats noise but also a little of your hp and so gas. Do you really think they still make engines that give a black cloud? That is only with a bad regulated engine, my thought is the engine runs better without it, upside world it is.

The sound isn't that much more, but it has a deeper sound. When all windows and the roof closed it cancels the wind noises on higher speeds a little and with the roof open it is just nice to hear, even for a tractor engine.
Black smoke I don't have, more smoke I don’t have, a little ugly smell when you stand behind the exhaust I do have. But how long you are standing at the trunk with a running engine anyway.

When you sit in the car with windows open you don’t smell it. Most of the people don’t notice, car and especially the BMW enthusiastic do pop the question ‘did you do something with your exhaust? It sounds nice on your diesel, or is it because of the twin turbo? ‘.

I know most here have petrol, had the chance to test drive a 135i 6MT coupé, the clutch was smelling more than the burned rubber of the tires, when a friend arrived with it at my door. Tested Z4 2.8i and 3.5si both on auto gearbox. The 2.8i was fun but not wow and usable every day. The 3.5si was a rocket, tricky and tail happy, 1st time I driven so much hp with the combination of RWD and automatic gearbox, it is nothing for me for daily use, however the engine is so mutch fun.

So I know a petrol is nice to have, actually I was thinking of a new MB GLA ass well because it only needs the 2.0l to have 450hp (tuned from 360hp stock, same AMG engine from the A and CLA, yes BMW, take a example out off that!) but then the GLA is to new and too expensive.

I will defiantly look around on the forum for 20” rims on the forum, maybe I find some styling idea’s ass well and in general it is nice to see cars.

BMW has the M rims for the X1, it is 19” with 8J front and 9J at the rear I think so 8J isn’t the (official) maximum. ET value and not coming outside the body off the car is the trick I guess. And off course the weight off the rims for the xdrive. For petrol or diesel there isn’t a difference in that I think. The 23d has the brakes of her bigger sister 3.5i, love the breaks, even with the extra hp’s, only optical the brake claws looks like shit, will let them colored in shiny black ant that it is, don’t want to buy a big brake kit or fake claws just to look pretty. (If they were big I should have them in red off course)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Anyone in USA close to this Ebay seller?
I think they maybe fit on the X1 but not sure how the quality of thoose replicas is.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/20-BMW-NEW-M6...d=584739932005

BMW Style 433M replica's with tires 1.500 dollar.

Front
Size
20x8.5

Offset

Rear
Size
20x10

Offset ET

Bolt Pattern
5x120

Fitment
BMW 5 Series Drive E60 525xi 528xi 530xi 535xi AWD 4WD xDrive (BMW F10 528 535 550) 6 Series F13 640 650

Hub Bore

Tire:

Brand
A set of Accelera / Delinte Tires

Size
Front - 245/35/20 ; Rear - 275/30/20

Damn replica hunt in Europe, can't find them here.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 12:12 AM   #6
back2bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1

Those look like they'd look hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerX1 View Post
Anyone in USA close to this Ebay seller?
I think they maybe fit on the X1 but not sure how the quality of thoose replicas is.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/20-BMW-NEW-M6...d=584739932005

BMW Style 433M replica's with tires 1.500 dollar.

Front
Size
20x8.5

Offset

Rear
Size
20x10

Offset ET

Bolt Pattern
5x120

Fitment
BMW 5 Series Drive E60 525xi 528xi 530xi 535xi AWD 4WD xDrive (BMW F10 528 535 550) 6 Series F13 640 650

Hub Bore

Tire:

Brand
A set of Accelera / Delinte Tires

Size
Front - 245/35/20 ; Rear - 275/30/20

Damn replica hunt in Europe, can't find them here.
Appreciate 0