03-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #1
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
air ride suspension?

Has anyone put an air ride suspension on the X1 yet? I would want it to do the following:
- self level (all modes)
- normal (city) mode - stock ride height
- performance (highway) mode - lowered height
- off road/snow mode - taller than stock height for deep snow/etc

This would be similar to the air ride suspension on the Porsche Cayenne.

While I dont have an X1 yet, when I do get one I want to get as many of the mods I want as soon as I get it to be able to enjoy them from the start.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 10:01 PM   #2
YYCADM
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1

Air suspension is great as long as it's in good condition; it can be the proverbial money pit though. I had a Landrover and the suspension was wonderful, but I replaced compressors twice in 70,000 miles, at a couple thousand bucks a pop. Boots, compressors control valves, etc. etc. are all expensive, and to tie everything into the X-1 without overloading yourself with troubles and codes...not something I'd want to even think about. I've never seen an X-1 that's been modded that way; I would think it would be a pretty expensive proposition and honestly I don't think the car justifies the cost. It's a wonderful car, but its nowhere even close to being an adequate offeroad vehicle where air suspension would be worth while. Nor is it enough of a road car to give you the bang for your buck. I think it would just be a whole lot of money and headaches for the sake of bragging rights; I'm sure you could do it if you threw enough money at the idea.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 10:32 PM   #3
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
My good friend Matt has air ride in his Ranger. He's spent close to $30000 on his set up and he's never happy with it.

There's also not a lot of room in the X1 anywhere to place the air tanks and valves. It would cost a ton. If you were building as a show car I'd say go for it. But if you're looking for practicality, air ride probably isn't the way to go.

As YYCADM said, parts are expensive, and the X1 isn't a very good platform for it.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

I've got a few close friends in the mini-trick and show scene who have air suspensions. Nothing but nightmares. Nothing I'd want to take on for my daily driver. Constant air leaks, compressors gone bad, blown or faulty air bags.

If adjustable freedom is what you're after and you want it to be reliable, get a good set of coilovers. Just don't make the mistake that I did by allowing your collars to seize to the threads. Grease the heck out of everything. Regularly.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
I have the AirREX Full Digital Suspension in my F22 and have had NO ISSUES (knock on wood). So far I'm 15K miles in with hwy driving, track, street etc. Personally, I feel like it rides much like coilovers but just a tad bit softer.

The cool thing about AirRex is that everything is made vehicle-specific (no fab work). Comes with 3 ride height presets, wireless controller, and seems to be much easier to install compared to others.

Last edited by VMRWheels; 03-10-2015 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
YYCADM
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1

that's a cool looking set-up! I hope you don't mind my asking; ballpark cost?
I don't think I was as clear as I could have been in my post; I LOVE the feel of air suspension, and the versatility was amazing. Of course, Landrover has to go a bit nuts with everything; auto door sill lowering when you open the doors auto adjustment based on terrain setting & road surface conditions, etc.

When it was new, it was really nice having all of those features; as it aged, they all became potential points of failure. And, Landrover being who they are, nothing was under a few hundred bucks to fix.

If your set-up is reliable and reasonably priced, I will be looking at it really close
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

Wow, VMR, that's an awesome looking set up. Not at all anything like the set ups my friends have. Looks like Air Ride technology has come a long way in the past 10 years.
Appreciate 0