05-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #23
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3-35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHawks View Post
How you all perceive the "value" of the X1? Loading up a 35i, you're looking at $45K-$46K with a negotiated discount. Is that a good value considering what you get? The 28i brings the cost down, but I'm trying to gauge whether the cost of the car, the technology in the car (still an E series, not F) justify the sticker price.
Only you can set the "fair" price on what you value. For me the loaded X1-35i was worth the price and I have zero regrets. I can say this (also being from Chicago originally) whatever you get, make sure its an X-Drive. My X1-35i is incredibly good in snow with just the stock all-season Pirellis on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #24
GoHawks
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
Only you can set the "fair" price on what you value. For me the loaded X1-35i was worth the price and I have zero regrets. I can say this (also being from Chicago originally) whatever you get, make sure its an X-Drive. My X1-35i is incredibly good in snow with just the stock all-season Pirellis on it.
Do you have the sport package? M Sport? How is it on the roads around here?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #25
bluejay_el
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
How you all perceive the "value" of the X1? Loading up a 35i, you're looking at $45K-$46K with a negotiated discount. Is that a good value considering what you get? The 28i brings the cost down, but I'm trying to gauge whether the cost of the car, the technology in the car (still an E series, not F) justify the sticker price.

I used to drive a coupe. Then after buying a house and getting a dog, the 2-door car with a small trunk wasn't working for me anymore. I needed to get an entry level SUV. It went down between a loaded CX-5 and an X-1 (yes, most wouldn't even consider it as an apples to apples comparison). After test driving both, I couldn't say no to X1's hydraulic steering paired with great handling, for a utilitarian vehicle, despite the over $10k jump from CX-5's price tag

Lemme ask you this... do you think a loaded F31, which is probably $10K more than a loaded E84 28i justify the sticker price? IMHO, I don't think F isn't always a better value than E. I've heard people would prefer getting now the E84 before the F84 rolls out.

With the 4 years maintenance free, decent gas mileage, and if you take advantage of the European delivery and/or performance center delivery, for X1's sticker price, i think that is one of BMW's best valued car

Last edited by bluejay_el; 05-09-2014 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #26
GoHawks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejay_el View Post
I used to drive a coupe. Then after buying a house and getting a dog, the 2-door car with a small trunk wasn't working for me anymore. I needed to get an entry level SUV. It went down between a loaded CX-5 and an X-1 (yes, most wouldn't even consider it as an apples to apples comparison). After test driving both, I couldn't say no to X1's hydraulic steering paired with great handling, for a utilitarian vehicle, despite the over $10k jump from CX-5's price tag

Lemme ask you this... do you think a loaded F31, which is probably $10K more than a loaded E84 28i justify the sticker price? IMHO, I don't think F isn't always a better value than E. I've heard people would prefer getting now the E84 before the F84 rolls out.

With the 4 years maintenance free, decent gas mileage, and if you take advantage of the European delivery and/or performance center delivery, for X1's sticker price, i think that is one of BMW's best valued car
Appreciate the feedback.

I have seen 335s now, with the current option incentives going for $50-51K, with sport, premium, NAV, cold and driver assistance packages. I figure I can get a similar equipped 2015 X1 35i for under $45K. So you're talking a $5-6K difference.

A 328 with similar options, the price is almost the same (granter we're now talking N20 v. N55 motors), again given the option incentives that are out there. But I am drawn to the N55 as I've been spoiled with it for the last 7 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #27
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
The aluminum or dark cross hatch aluminum?
Regular aluminium trim looks great with coral red. I am sure corss hatch will be great too.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #28
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think value is subjective, but there are two issues with X1 that affect the perceived value.

First issue is the quality of plastics in lower dash. Some of them are brittle and feel cheap for a 45k car (for example glove box door).

The other issue is wind noise. I feel there is less sound deadening than a 3 series, particularly in the roof area.

Overall I think it makes more sense to keep the purchase price (not msrp) below 40k. I think if you are eligible for some discounts you can buy a loaded xDrive28i for around that price.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 12:34 AM   #29
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Have you looked at other non-BMW cars? When shopping for the X1 I also looked at the Mercedes GLK and Range Rover Evoque. In the end I decided on the X1 due to price... My X1 was pretty basic with a sticker price of $37k. Those other 2 cars were more expensive.

But if I was going to be spending $45k on a car, I would have definitely gone with one of those. Both are similar in size to the X1, although both do sit somewhat higher. I really love the Evoque.....the base model comes with alcantara sports seats (instead of leather) and the brushed aluminum trim on the interior is real aluminum and not silver plastic like you see in most cars. It just feels like a much more luxurious car than the X1. As for how it drives, it doesn't handle quite as good as the X1, but power is pretty similar (to the 2.8), and ride quality is better. But overall a sporty drive for a small SUV. If you are worried about "value" and want something a bit more premium than the X1, both the Evoque and GLK are good cars to look at. The GLK comes with a V6 with 300+ hp that is comparable to the 3.5. Also, Mercedes is coming out with the GLA later this year, which is even smaller than the X1 and will have the same turbo 4 that is in the CLA sedan. And then of course Lexus has a small SUV coming later this year as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #30
Shredjim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 x28 X1

I've had my relatively base model x28i X1 for 2 months now and I love it. I also have a F250 for when I need to haul stuff. But my outdoor recreation lifestyle means I need a SUV. My last car was a fully loaded VW Touareg V8 that cost $15k more than my X1 and was a feature rich, comfortable car - but was a financial disaster after it came off warranty. This time around I wanted to spend less, get better gas mileage and hopefully find a car that was still fun to drive. My X1 with premium & cold weather packages fits the bill perfectly. Compared to the Mazda CX-5 and a few other Japanese brands - the X1 was in a different league driving wise for only 6k more. Oh - and please tell all your friends that VW is a horrible brand from a customer service perspective!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #31
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHawks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
Have you considered the X3? The X1 has very little rear leg room unless you are on the short side. I'm 6 ft, and with my drivers seat in a comfortable position, it would be cruel to put anyone in the seat behind me unless they were a very small child. So I guess it all depends on how tall you are and how old your kids are. But you may want to consider the X3 as it would have similar rear seat space to a 3 series sedan.
I have, but not for very long. I really want to stay in a car-like vehicle. X3 is getting too SUV-ish for me.
I went from an e92 to my x3. Overall,happy with the practicality.

To me, the x1 wasn't large enough too make enough difference. Would have bought the 3 series touring, but the seating position on the x3 was better for me because of an injury.

If the x3 is too SUV, I would really consider the 3 touring too. In addition, a new x1 is coming fairly soon, if that is something that bothers you.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:07 PM   #32
rtowell
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 Sdrive28i; 2001 M5

One month into the X1, I can definitely recommend it. My stable includes an E39 M5, a Mini Cooper Clubman S, a supercharged Miatia, and a Nissan Titan so I think I cover the gamut. It's not as fast as the M5, can't tow as much as the Titan, but matches the Mini and Miata in handling and speed. It also beats them in refinement hands down. So far, I love the car and it's balance of performance and utility.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #33
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaFan View Post
The other issue is wind noise. I feel there is less sound deadening than a 3 series, particularly in the roof area.
The wind noise is coming from the mirrors and the shape of the windshield more than a lack of sound deadening material in the roof. Wind noise and brake pedal feel are the only real complaints I have about the X1 (other than the lack of a manual transmission option for North America).
      05-18-2014, 03:08 AM   #34
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kleen View Post
The wind noise is coming from the mirrors and the shape of the windshield more than a lack of sound deadening material in the roof. Wind noise and brake pedal feel are the only real complaints I have about the X1 (other than the lack of a manual transmission option for North America).
Actually I think it could be the roof rails, but better insulation always helps.

Eitherway there is more wind noise than a typical luxury SUV. I don't mind because no typical SUV drives like X1. It is clear the money you paying is going toward chassis and drivetrain, rather than soft plastics and insulation which is dead weight in terms of performance.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #35
GoHawks
Rep

Thanks for all the feedback. After a lot of internal debate, I pulled the trigger on an X3 M Sport yesterday. Incentives lined up and the dealer happened to have one and wanted to move it.

Don't think I could have made a bad choice either way, just happy to stay in the BMW family.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #36
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

congrats
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2014, 07:45 AM   #37
bluejay_el
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive 28i

Congrats! is it a 2015? engine? I probably gonna be my next SUV when I sell mine...in 4-5 years

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback. After a lot of internal debate, I pulled the trigger on an X3 M Sport yesterday. Incentives lined up and the dealer happened to have one and wanted to move it.

Don't think I could have made a bad choice either way, just happy to stay in the BMW family.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 07:45 AM   #38
GoHawks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejay_el View Post

Congrats! is it a 2015? engine? I probably gonna be my next SUV when I sell mine...in 4-5 years
It's a 2014, 35i. My dealer had one, made the deal and we were done. Only had one other M Sport in the area, so I got lucky.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #39
Kennyboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 Xdrive 28i

Why not go with the X4, say with the 28i, despite it being 400 lbs heavier and having the same gear ratios on the 8 forward gears, BMW claims it goes 0.3 second quicker to 60mph than the X1. Higher number on the badge does magics just like racing stripes...it is worth another 30 horses.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #40
3Bims
Private
Rep
Drives: XXX

Quote:

For those looking for the best "value" there are still some leftover 2013 35i's out there...can get a $48,000+ MSRP car ( basically fully loaded) for $38. Some have a few less options so both MSRP and discounted price go down by a couple grand to $46/$36 or so.That's less money than anything comparable, less than the 2.8 equivalently equipped and even less than asking on many CPOs.
Appreciate 0