Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

04-25-2022, 04:24 PM   #1
CBee
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Question P0171 Error code after Emissions Recall

Hi All
So I took my car about three weeks ago to get the recall done on my 2012 X1. Thinking Im doing the responsible thing…. Well so I got into my car and there is that nice orange engine light smiling at me… I went back in and told the service advisor that my car didn’t have an engine light on when I got here and now it does. She told me that “no it did have the light on”. That was all I needed to really compose myself as now it sounds like Im lying. Anyway, so the technician took my car and “resetted” the code and said I should drive it and come back if the engine light comes up again. As soon as I started the car, the light was on.
So I went back and they said they can check, but it will cost me $170. Evidently, I left.. What the technician did say wat that my car was programmed and what I have read from the other posts, is that you will lose all programming. (I wasn’t aware of any programming as I bought the car a previously owned)
The next morning when I started the car, there was some rough idling for about 5 seconds and then it idles constantly at about 700-800 rpm.
I read the error code and it was P0171 which means its either too much air or too little fuel. So I started with the most basic and least expensive, a vacuum leak test with a smote machine and there was no leaks that I could find. So then I replaced it with an old MAF sensor I had and cleared the codes. The next morning, there was NO rough start, and I actually drove that day (about 10km) without any codes. Then according to the freeze-frame I received the error again at about 2minutes after a cold start. I removed the purge valve and tested it and it works perfectly, I replaced the engine cap and cleaned the sensor on the intake hose coming from the air filter (just before the inlet)
At this stage Im wondering if it isn’t fuel supply… but then if the recall was coded for a leaner fuel supply, can that be the reason I get the code? And if so how can I correct it? Fuel trims does show lean and the engine light is triggered then STFT and LTFT is combined at 32%
I have just took data from data-stream at idle, 2000 rpm, 3000rpm and 3500rpm and will post it shortly for some advice, but in the meantime your advice will mean a-lot to me!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 05:51 PM   #2
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Have you checked your air intake box? What's the condition of your air filter?
Is your car stock? ie...no ecu tune.

I did this recall a few weeks ago. It was a drama free affair.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 01:01 PM   #3
xteban
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Hi, did you get this corrected?. I just had the same problem, I'm not sure what it is, I'm running in circles.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 06:15 PM   #4
CBee
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Hi.
No, I eventually sold the car for a third of its value.
Appreciate 0